NewTowner

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ATL

No sur eif this applies in Miami but the deals I have read about in Tampa and Atlanta with Trump are almost like licensing. He lends his name and some PR but th erisk and capital is all on local developerse

I don't know how Trump structured his deals in South Florida, but it seems to me that his exposure there is quite high. Within ten miles of where I stayed last month at the Westin Hollywood, I passed no fewer than 6 buildings (all under construction) with his name on them. Reports I've read say that SFLA is already overbuilt. But like I said, he may just be lending his name for a "small" fee. I really don't know.

So by saying that, Atlanta can't win. If we build what you say it'll be "AHA! Couldn't stand it could you?" and we don't build them it'll be "AHA! Atlanta isn't all that!" You've built a lose/lose argument that you can gloat over no matter the outcome. Sort of like "Heads I win, tails you lose". :rolleyes:

Here is where you are confused. I'm not the one saying those things. Atlanta is saying those things and i'm merely repeating them. Look around. Some citizens, the news paper, even city officials have shown their worry over this project. It's not an issue to me, and I think its safe to say it isn't an issue to nashville either. So, no, I won't be saying the above things because I don't care. Only Atlanta is fighting the 'skyscraper war' it has apparently invented. Simply bringing up that fact does not mean i'm participating.

Here is where you are confused. I'm not the one saying those things. Atlanta is saying those things and i'm merely repeating them. Look around. Some citizens, the news paper, even city officials have shown their worry over this project. It's not an issue to me, and I think its safe to say it isn't an issue to nashville either. So, no, I won't be saying the above things because I don't care. Only Atlanta is fighting the 'skyscraper war' it has apparently invented. Simply bringing up that fact does not mean i'm participating.

Okay, now I'm confused.

Atlanta is saying what things? One article was written about the Signature tower by some third rate writer and all of a sudden the entire city is worried? What city officials are worried over the project? When it was initally announced there were some words about it....but soon after the officials with power focused on an increasingly vibrant CBD, getting more international corporations to located here, going to retail conventions to get destination shopping along Peachtree St in Midtown and convincing China to allow Delta direct access to China airports. Atlanta has learned that towers alone do not make a city vibrant. Surely the quality of life of the citizens should be the main focus.

Even having said all that, with as many towers going up in the city, why would a city official care? Cities don't build towers....developers do. There is a ton of infill going on now. Lots that have say vacant even in an already impressive skyline are now being developed. I highly doubt that there is that much care given to this project other than the initial response....other than maybe one or two skyscraper junkies here. I really don't think any citizens are "worried" over the project. I encourage anyone to go to the Atlanta forum here and find even minimal chatter about other towers in other cities.

If I ever hear someone in Atlanta lament "why doesn't Atlanta build a higher skyscraper than Nashville?" I will only respond by saying "even though you are getting projects like Cityplace @ Buckhead with eight towers approved that will be over 500' tall on 19 acres or the amazing success of the Atlantic Station development or the countless condo towers developed along Peachtree with the countless amount of added retail or the Trump Towers or the new Palomar hotel going along with the countless other boutique hotels or the new aquarium that has exceeded 3,000,000 visitors in only 9 months or the new growth in the CBD or the fact that the city of Atlanta and it's entire 132 sq miles is now gaining almost 10,000 new residents a year and I can go on and on but all you can do is complain over a tall building? Take your worries elsewhere....we are to busy growing here."

Many Atlanta forumers can only remember Atlanta as large. I think when I was old enough to even care Atlanta was already over 2 million in the metro then. Some of the posters now in the Atlanta forum probably doesn't even remember when Atlanta was only 2.5 million metro. I saw all that to say that most of us have come to realize that the days of erecting tall buildings for ego purposes are over. There is not real need to erect such a tall building in Atlanta at this time. I think the concern of most Atlantans...especially those who live in the city....is to have a vibrant liveable urban envorionment. Sure the tall buildings are nice to look at zooming pass on the Downtown Connector but when you are in the city, how often will you peer up to see the top of the 1180 Peachtree tower or when you are spending the weekend at the Four Seasons, are you really looking up every time you go in? I have gotten to the point as to where I don't even look up anymore. I am more concerned with what's at the base of these buildings and am I safe. As long as Atlanta work on keeping the living city alive, we will be okay.

We have built our really tall buildings....now it's time for us to be a city befitting a metro of 5.2 million people.

I hope that some really tall building is not announced tomorrow. I would feel like such a heel for writing all this. :unsure:

Okay, now I'm confused.

Atlanta is saying what things? One article was written about the Signature tower by some third rate writer and all of a sudden the entire city is worried? What city officials are worried over the project? When it was initally announced there were some words about it....but soon after the officials with power focused on an increasingly vibrant CBD, getting more international corporations to located here, going to retail conventions to get destination shopping along Peachtree St in Midtown and convincing China to allow Delta direct access to China airports. Atlanta has learned that towers alone do not make a city vibrant. Surely the quality of life of the citizens should be the main focus.

Even having said all that, with as many towers going up in the city, why would a city official care? Cities don't build towers....developers do. There is a ton of infill going on now. Lots that have say vacant even in an already impressive skyline are now being developed. I highly doubt that there is that much care given to this project other than the initial response....other than maybe one or two skyscraper junkies here. I really don't think any citizens are "worried" over the project. I encourage anyone to go to the Atlanta forum here and find even minimal chatter about other towers in other cities.

If I ever hear someone in Atlanta lament "why doesn't Atlanta build a higher skyscraper than Nashville?" I will only respond by saying "even though you are getting projects like Cityplace @ Buckhead with eight towers approved that will be over 500' tall on 19 acres or the amazing success of the Atlantic Station development or the countless condo towers developed along Peachtree with the countless amount of added retail or the Trump Towers or the new Palomar hotel going along with the countless other boutique hotels or the new aquarium that has exceeded 3,000,000 visitors in only 9 months or the new growth in the CBD or the fact that the city of Atlanta and it's entire 132 sq miles is now gaining almost 10,000 new residents a year and I can go on and on but all you can do is complain over a tall building? Take your worries elsewhere....we are to busy growing here."

Many Atlanta forumers can only remember Atlanta as large. I think when I was old enough to even care Atlanta was already over 2 million in the metro then. Some of the posters now in the Atlanta forum probably doesn't even remember when Atlanta was only 2.5 million metro. I saw all that to say that most of us have come to realize that the days of erecting tall buildings for ego purposes are over. There is not real need to erect such a tall building in Atlanta at this time. I think the concern of most Atlantans...especially those who live in the city....is to have a vibrant liveable urban envorionment. Sure the tall buildings are nice to look at zooming pass on the Downtown Connector but when you are in the city, how often will you peer up to see the top of the 1180 Peachtree tower or when you are spending the weekend at the Four Seasons, are you really looking up every time you go in? I have gotten to the point as to where I don't even look up anymore. I am more concerned with what's at the base of these buildings and am I safe. As long as Atlanta work on keeping the living city alive, we will be okay.

We have built our really tall buildings....now it's time for us to be a city befitting a metro of 5.2 million people.

I hope that some really tall building is not announced tomorrow. I would feel like such a heel for writing all this. :unsure:

Those eight towers are a go? That will give Buckhead a skyline better than most mid-sized cities.

Yeah, most posters from Atlanta have shown nothing but support over here. I know one in particular who has probably boosted Nashville more than anyone else on this site!

A growth spurt is difficult for any adolescent especially one in her twenties who's popped up two new bestfriends the guys can't resist. I think there is no need prove who cares about Nashville and who doesn't. Good things, phenomenal things are to come. Lanta, continue your support.

As far as I'm concerned the only similarities between Nashville and Atlanta are their southern location. One isn't jealous of the other. No one cares. Most of my friends in Atlanta don't care about buildings, whether they are in ATL, Nashville, or anywhere else. Boring discussion.

So you Atlanta guys and girls say the folks in Atlanta don't care about Nashville getting the tallest building outside of NY and Chicago, yet you come on the Nashville site and post about it. Interesting. :blink:

I'm a moderator.........I read EVERYthing. :shades:

Most of the time I read and keep going. Sometimes I read postings giving incorrect information about Atlanta. Oftentimes I do not offer a rebuttal. If the comment warrants a rebuttal then you will recieve one. Same as if I read something about the Signature Tower that I find fascinating...I will comment. I was one of the "out-of-towners" invited to the Signature's unveiling. I think it is a sexy building. The views will be great. Could I live there parttime....you bet. Nashville is a great city rich in history.

Who in their right mind would be upset that such a beauty of a building is going to be built?

I'm a moderator.........I read EVERYthing. :shades:

Most of the time I read and keep going. Sometimes I read postings giving incorrect information about Atlanta. Oftentimes I do not offer a rebuttal. If the comment warrants a rebuttal then you will recieve one. Same as if I read something about the Signature Tower that I find fascinating...I will comment. I was one of the "out-of-towners" invited to the Signature's unveiling. I think it is a sexy building. The views will be great. Could I live there parttime....you bet. Nashville is a great city rich in history.

Who in their right mind would be upset that such a beauty of a building is going to be built?

I just wanted to add that I reaaly appreciate your views and your obvious support for the Signature Tower project. I believe most people in Atlanta think along the same lines as you, and are genuinely happy for Nashville having the great skyscraper coming it's way. Besides, as you stated earlier, Atlanta is experiencing a wonderful boom of highrise construction as evidenced by a multitude of great projects in Mid-Town, in Atlantic Station, in Buckhead, and other areas. I'm excited about what's going on in Atlanta, and encouraged greatly by the fact that the city core is growing rapidly now.

And, by the way, thanks a bunch to Plasticman for being one of The Signature Tower's greatest supporters despite also being from Atlanta. For your sake, I hope you get your wish and Atlanta builds a supertall as well.

I just wanted to add that I reaaly appreciate your views and your obvious support for the Signature Tower project. I believe most people in Atlanta think along the same lines as you, and are genuinely happy for Nashville having the great skyscraper coming it's way. Besides, as you stated earlier, Atlanta is experiencing a wonderful boom of highrise construction as evidenced by a multitude of great projects in Mid-Town, in Atlantic Station, in Buckhead, and other areas. I'm excited about what's going on in Atlanta, and encouraged greatly by the fact that the city core is growing rapidly now.

And, by the way, thanks a bunch to Plasticman for being one of The Signature Tower's greatest supporters despite also being from Atlanta. For your sake, I hope you get your wish and Atlanta builds a supertall as well.

Nashville is easy to like.

There are several SE projects that I enjoy discussing. My favorites are Signature, Wachovia in Charlotte (they need to get a real rendering out), and that 8 tower proposal in Buckhead will be jaw dropping (I thought it wasn't serious at first but it appears so).

One tower doesn't make a town, and I don't think that Atlanta is bothered in the least bythe ST. We all know that Nashville was a great town before ST, and we're not changing that much b/c of it.

Your right about that, One tower doesn't make a city. Nashville would need to have about 3,500,000 more people in our Metro to be anything like Atlanta.

I hope Nashville doesn't become a city like Atlanta. I think Atlanta is a great city, but Nashville has the potential of becoming a better city if they take baby steps and learn from cities like Atlanta, Houston, and Dallas. Learn from their mistakes and learn from their accomplishments and I believe Nashville will be much better off in the long run. Nashville should be patient in their decision making and not try to do too much at one time.

I hope Nashville doesn't become a city like Atlanta. I think Atlanta is a great city, but Nashville has the potential of becoming a better city if they take baby steps and learn from cities like Atlanta, Houston, and Dallas. Learn from their mistakes and learn from their accomplishments and I believe Nashville will be much better off in the long run. Nashville should be patient in their decision making and not try to do too much at one time.

There is wisdom up there. Patience is a hard virtue--particularly when amazing new projects get announced and the possibility of Nashville becoming a vibrant, thriving, beautiful city seems nearly imminent. We should go for broke, and acquire the skills and wisdom that are needed to help accelerate and facilitate all of this new urban energy in a meaningful way--but we shouldn't throw ourselves at every project, just because it seems like another "step forward". Remember--walking can be a lot better than lying down, but it isn't good or wise to move just for movement's sake--walking in the right direction is critical. Walking forward, but off a cliff, is worse than standing still...and sometimes I get the feeling that many Nashvillians want to bust off into a civic sprint without a second thought about long-term consequences...or, metaphorically speaking, with one shoe and a blindfold on.

Let's walk wisely, and with good reason. We need to relearn a lot of basic architecture and urban design skills that previous generations threw in the garbage can, and that won't happen instantly. Rome wasn't built in a day, you know...and though we shouldn't have to wait for thousands of years, it might be thousands of years before some of our worse projects come down. Let's not regret hasty building.

NT

I agree with your post but as we all know the devil is in the details. So when you say "walking in the right direction is critical" the question in my mind is who leads, and in what direction? We can not all lead, so is it the design community, Metro, the developers...? Because unless everyone can agree which direction is the right direction I fear that every major project will be facing an uphill battle that will only entrench each side for the next battle. It seems compromise should rule the day.

NB

And more updates to the plans, etc. next week - at least I hope we'll be able to get it posted next week. :D

Charles,

I was just wondering if the updates you referred to on the 17th will be forthcoming shortly. I look forward with great anticipation any news relating to the Signature Tower project. We all really do apprereciate your input. Thanks.

Charles,

I was just wondering if the updates you referred to on the 17th will be forthcoming shortly. I look forward with great anticipation any news relating to the Signature Tower project. We all really do apprereciate your input. Thanks.

They were delayed because, as you can imagine, as they refine parts of the design, other items have to be tweaked. There was no use in putting up the additional plans only to have to repost a few weeks later. So we are waiting on the revised drawings.

About to post an interactive map of downtown showing surrounding amenities, etc. Waiting on final comments. Added a legal disclaimer on the Hotel Palomar page late last week.

I'm as anxious as you are - actually more so - so get more information posted.

Can't wait to show more on 1beale in Memphis as well, but that project is still awaiting some approvals from the city (sound familiar?).

Just the nature of these large projects - they take a lot of time.

Archived