Signature Tower

NewTowner

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

NT ever read Jean Baudrillard? Check out what he said about what Disneyland says about people in this under the heading hyperreal and imaginary.

http://www.stanford.edu/dept/HPS/Baudrilla..._Simulacra.html

Interesting stuff...it will probably keep me awake tonight. Disneyland is a tough one, on many levels. One of the most puzzling and challenging moments in my Architectural Theory course at the Savannah College of Art and Design struck when the Professor (a genius, by the way) showed us all a slide of Main Street USA at Disneyland and asked us, "Is this a street"? Of course, everyone was standing on their chairs and hollering "No! No it's not! It's fake!!"...especially the European "contemporary architecture" students. He asked us why it was not a street, and he made us really fall all over ourselves trying to explain our indignant logic--and even just defining what a street is in the first place turns out to be harder than one might think. In the end, the best we could do was argue that the thing was private instead of public--but streets are not all public, so we had to concede that the blasted thing was, in fact, a real street, but hampered by its privateness. Next, we were forced agianst our wills to concede that roddy Main Street USA in Disneyland was actually part of a real neighborhood. It drove me crazy, and it still does, but I can't see a way out of it. There are a lot of real public and private streets in the world where nobody sleeps at night...apparently, Main Street USA in bloody Disneyland is one of them. Curses!

So, in this sense, Baudrillard's essay was particularly interesting to me--the pedestrian-oriented, human-scaled, traditional, and consciously useful/enduring/lovely streets of Disneyland are, in effect, more "real" than the superhighways of Los Angeles which can only be experienced from inside a machine, and at high speeds (hopefully). Los Angeles, as Baudrillard points out, is nearly nothing more than "circulation" space with no "depth or dimension"--unless you are inside a private building, you are merely in transition. Los Angeles is an ethereal medium for traveling through, like outer space, not a real place for being. Disneyland is different. You go to Disneyland and pay good money just to walk around. Ironic, isn't it?

Thanks for the link. I really tried to tie this into the Signature Tower thread, so that we wouldn't be ticketed for going off-topic, but I couldn't figure it out. Wait! No...wait, maybe...no...I give up. Well, er, the Signature Tower, actually, is like DuckTales' version of Scrooge McDuck's giant money silo, where he would bathe in coin and tender. Disney drew tall banks, except instead of money, the Signature will have people, and it will actually have a lively ground floor and some interesting embellishment on top. It's really not bad, as high-rises go, and it certainly kicks the tar out of that moronic "The Crown." Eh, eh? Did I do it? I think the Signature will not be a disaster, and it will inspire affection (if only from a great distance) in the same way that the Terrazzo will inspire nicotine headaches.

They were delayed because, as you can imagine, as they refine parts of the design, other items have to be tweaked. There was no use in putting up the additional plans only to have to repost a few weeks later. So we are waiting on the revised drawings.

About to post an interactive map of downtown showing surrounding amenities, etc. Waiting on final comments. Added a legal disclaimer on the Hotel Palomar page late last week.

I'm as anxious as you are - actually more so - so get more information posted.

Can't wait to show more on 1beale in Memphis as well, but that project is still awaiting some approvals from the city (sound familiar?).

Just the nature of these large projects - they take a lot of time.

Can you say exactly what part of the design that is being refined and "tweaked" ? Will it be anything drastic or just little details? Just curious.

Can you say exactly what part of the design that is being refined and "tweaked" ? Will it be anything drastic or just little details? Just curious.

What I have been told is that the addition of a boutique hotel has necessitated a few shifts in the building's lower portion, likely mostly in the interior. Other than that, I am sure there are some continual little tweaks, a lot of little pushes and pulls all over the thing, probably some work on the pool, but mostly just a lot of work on the main interior spaces of the ground floor.

But that's just what I'm told. I'm not working on it myself. Gaushell probably has more intimate information, but he might be able to talk too much about it.

I'm wondering if there will be a sales center for Signature Tower? Maybe Tony could use one of the Viridian's penthouses on the top floor as a model home to showcase the possibility of what a unit in Signature could look like.

Sales center is coming your way soon. Will be in same building as his office. Don't know any details yet other than we are going to be putting together some materials soon.

Hey Charles, I was just over on the ST site and noticed the changes. I counted 125 reservations and 29 units listed as "HOLD". I'm not sure I'm right on the exact numbers but what does the "HOLD" refer to exactly?

It means that the developer is holding the units for some reason, such as maybe to sell them later, I don't know.

And barakat, I didn't notice those floors on the website. Have they taken them off?

Archived