Signature Tower

NewTowner

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tony said in the interview on fox that the new marketing campaign was going to involve the Nashville Predators somehow...

I question the propriety of that marketing strategy. Advertising a highrise luxury condo on hockey-themed t-shirts? It seems kind of inconsistent with the target demo depicted in the promo vids on the website...

I guess anyone who likes dowtown is considered part of the target demo for signature tower....

Indeed. Developers will use many methods to sell a condo as they realize that many different demographics will end up buying a unit. The only thing all the buyers will all have in common are access to the resources to make the purchase. I am reminded that in Myrtle Beach, one method used to drum up sales for condos, and very expensive ones at that, is to send out girls in bikini's onto the beach to look for middle aged men. They get paid based on how many people they convince to come into the sales office. (usually a short walk away) ^_^

In that article, Tony says more than once that this will be Nashville's first true skyscraper to be built since the L&C. What in they world is he talking about?

When Nashville's first skyscraper was built, the L & C tower in 1957 it stood 409 feet tall and about 30 stories. Not impressive at all by today's standards but at the time it was the tallest building in the southeast so in perspective it was a real skyscraper. Standing all alone and significantly taller than anything else in the city, it was indeed impressive and provided a dramatic view from the observatory.

Since that time Nashville has thrown up a dozen or so other buidings between 300-500 feet tall including Bellsouth which is "legally" 617' but in reality owes 1/4 of the height to the bat ears. Bellsouth raise the bar just a bit but still only added to the flat, linear skyline that exists. That's why for me the Pinnacle (again a boring 435' tall and another "me too") is a nice and welcome addition to any skyline but really isn't anything to do cartwheels about and only makes the Nashville skyline appear even more flat and more linear.

Then along comes the Signature project which mimics the same effect that L & C Tower had. It is dramatically taller than anything else in the city and provides an even more dramatic view than its groundbreaking predecessor.

So when the developer is speaking about this being the first "true" skyscraper, he is only speaking in relation to its impact and in relation to what would be considered a skyscraper today.

the more i read the more this guy tony reminds me of an old texas saying, "all hat and no cattle". having the tallest res building in the south would be cool but if he was struggling at the beginning of the summer he has to be getting killed by all the credit problems that have come up since. seems like he needs to go back to the drawing board on this one.

i heard he was also cancelling the cold storage project, maybe to raise cash to keep the signature dream alive ? anybody else hear that ?

the more i read the more this guy tony reminds me of an old texas saying, "all hat and no cattle". having the tallest res building in the south would be cool but if he was struggling at the beginning of the summer he has to be getting killed by all the credit problems that have come up since. seems like he needs to go back to the drawing board on this one.

i heard he was also cancelling the cold storage project, maybe to raise cash to keep the signature dream alive ? anybody else hear that ?

Thing about Tony is that you just can't count him out. It does seem like this project is iffy, but there's something about this guy that tells you not to give up on him til he says it's over. He's been heavily doubted before and came through, so who knows?

There was a little blurb in the paper this morning about Siggy.

It described an action by the Metro Planning Commission that took place this past Thursday. Unanimously approved.

The What: "final site plan for the 70-story, 1,301,537 sq. foot tower with 400 condos and 197 hotel rooms. The final plan, unlike the preliminary one, calls for the building's base to be architecturally consistent with the modern main tower."

(Guess the Planning Commission didn't like the stark contrast between the tower and the redesigned brickish-looking design; I suppose they fixed that.)

"Tracking: The developer can now start working to obtain Metro building permits."

Just goes to show that important things have been happening behind the scenes on a governmental level that don't necessarily come to obvious light as we wait for the shovels in the ground.

Page 3B, Sunday, for anyone interested.

"All hat and no cattle" , ha, pretty funny mental image.

The first thing the signature tower needs to get on board is a contractor, if anyone is going to believe the sales pitch.

You can't pull permits without a contractor, and you generally have to have an approved budget before anyone is going to lend money. Finding a contractor right now may be easier than finding the money.

MT

Oh, if only he had stuck with the original 55-floor design! This thing might be rising now...I would have even settled for the old design (pre spire) if it was just U/C right now!!! :P

The 55 floor design was all condo with no hotel. The hotel deal can only enhance the appeal of the tower by increasing the height and thus the uniqueness.

As stated he will have to get a contractor for sure but he also would benefit to find a financier willing to loan the money on fewer than 50% pre-sales under the assumption that once it begins to rise the sale will dramatically escalate. Or he needs someone with capital willing to take the risk. Not likely but who knows. The more buyers he has, the more he will get.

..... but he also would benefit to find a financier willing to loan the money on fewer than 50% pre-sales under the assumption that once it begins to rise the sale will dramatically escalate. .......

My guess is the number of bankers who would make that kind of assumption would be very thin indeed. Banks don't like to be the ones taking the risk in a real estate development deal.

I read somewhere that Nicole Kidman and Keith Urban have purchased a penthouse in Siggy. It could be pure rumor, but would be nice to get a couple of big names like that to add some pub to the project.

That's possible, but because they're building a house in Bancroft I would doubt it.

A little bit from the Predators home opener against Colorado. I'll spare you details of the game, because i know that many of you don't care, and that's fine. However, it was a 4-0 shutout for the good guys and they looked great.

Anyways, as i mentioned last week they gave away 10th season t-shirts tonight, sponsored partially by the Sig. Here are a few pics....

(sorry about the grainy pics, one day i'll have a nice camera)

front

signaturetshirt001.jpg

back

signaturetshirt002.jpg

Siggy logo close-up

signaturetshirt003.jpg

This shirt was just the tip of the advertising iceberg. Most notably, there was a new game-time intro. The Sommet Center has a brand new state-of-the-art scoreboard, and therefore, new graphics. (sidenote; Even if you don't like hockey, it's really worth going to 1 game just to see this technological wonder firsthand. Really, it's that cool!) At the very end of the old intro, the Predator mascot used to climb to the top of the Bell South Tower and "roar". Well, to my surprise, he now does this from the top of the Signature Tower.

Signature logo's would periodically pop up during the game(in the normal video screen places for ad's). Also, there is always a point in the game when they announce "welcome groups", and flash a bunch of group names on the scoreboard. Well, i noticed that one of the groups they showed was "Tony Girrantana and the Signature Tower team". I am guessing that Tony had a box somewhere, but my vision was a little impaired :alc: , so i couldn't spot him.

I just thought you guys might find this interesting.

I know from earlier comments that some might consider the hockey crowd to be the wrong target market, but don't be fooled, some of Nashville's wealthiest people are regulars at the Sommet.

Without trying to start a debate, I am curious about your thoughts. Is this just a little to hokey or would you consider this to be a decent advertising scheme? Whether it's the Preds or the Titans, is advertising for an unbuilt building at a professional sporting event worthwhile? It's interesting none the less.

comments?....

I for one think it's a good idea. If you are able to look past the fact that it is a hockey game (not that I have a problem with hockey) you see that there are a lot of rich people in the seats. Tony's market isn't the occational one ticket fan that is painted from head to toe. Tony is aiming at the season ticket holders. Currently we are up to something like 9,000 season ticket holders that have spent thousands of dollars on a nice luxery seat for the year. These people are Tony's market and if you think about it.... if he is able to get just a few people buy, heck, probably one would cover all his ad cost, anything over that is positive for the future or Siggy.

You also have to assume that he isn't relying only on hockey as his advertising and sole market. I am sure Tony has Siggy's hands all over the place including all the arts around town like the symphony, TPAC, The Frist, and I would hope other markets around the country.

Off topic Pred question... how was attendence tonight?

Off topic Pred question... how was attendence tonight?

Around 16,500. capacity is 17,113. Since you ask, tickets for saturday nights game against Dallas(a grudge match) for season ticket holders are half-off lower bowl. That means about $25. If anyone is interested i would be more than happy to set you up through my ticket rep. PM me. Regular price is above $50

Sorry....back to the discussion at hand....

Archived