Atlantic Beach

apexyank

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cool, cool, cool! I hope this happens--and for Atlantic Beach, too. Very handsome towers.

The website is very nice. However, the panning graphic of the ocean is definitely NOT Atlantic Beach, or even the East Coast! Notice the mountains in the background when it pans to the far right. They really should update with an actual photo of AB's beautiful strand, which would be just as nice, if not better. The website also uses a lot of stock photography . . which are gorgeous shots, but made me suspect somehow we're not in Atlantic Beach anymore . . . The old pictures, however, are great!

Cool, cool, cool! I hope this happens--and for Atlantic Beach, too. Very handsome towers.

The website is very nice. However, the panning graphic of the ocean is definitely NOT Atlantic Beach, or even the East Coast! Notice the mountains in the background when it pans to the far right. They really should update with an actual photo of AB's beautiful strand, which would be just as nice, if not better. The website also uses a lot of stock photography . . which are gorgeous shots, but made me suspect somehow we're not in Atlantic Beach anymore . . . The old pictures, however, are great!

Wow adding some needed class to the Grand Strand! :D

The towers look great, but I have my suspicions.

1. If plans are in the works for the tallest buildings in SC, why is there nothing about it on the net other than the Humphrey firm's website. Absolutely nothing. You can query for even the most obscure piece of info on Google and find something about it. Why not this?

2. Why is nothing mentioned on the Atlantic Beach website (other than it hasn't been updated in a year). And as was stated, those are mountains on the website image. Hmmm...

3. Third and most noteworthy, why would a for-profit company build two 40 story towers in a declining, run down resort town. Why build where the people aren't? Why not in Myrtle or North Myrtle Beach? The only time Atlantic Beach has anything going on is during Black Bikers week. From a marketting standpoint, this makes no sense. If a company did want to make an investment in Atlantic Beach, surely you would do it on a much smaller scale.

4. Finally, back to the Humphreys site, their page of high rise projects (accessed via Google) shows one in Salt Lake City, which according to the site, will be ready for the 2002 Winter Olympics. They might need to update their site.

Hopefully my suspicions are wrong and somebody will post here and say "yes, it really is going to happen".

Apexyank, I like your site. Re: the Atlantic Beach development, hopefully it will go through. I noticed there was no mention of the 40 story towers. The architect's website said there would be 536 units in the two buildings, but the article said 400 condos on 5 lots. So while that is good news, I doubt there will be any 40 story buildings going up. 20 maybe.

I couldn't help but shake my head reading the article, especially the local black opposition to the developments because it would "erode the culture and history" This when the area is blighted, with crime and prostitution running rampant. This is the polar opposite of what you see in white neighborhoods, where the residents fear blacks moving in and property values going south. Here, the residents fear whites (developers) moving in, cleaning up the mess, and property values going up. If you're renting I can see the opposition. But why would property owners oppose this? I wasn't aware that crime, drugs, prostitution and blight are parts of black culture that you want to keep. I'm sure most blacks don't even want to go to Atlantic Beach anymore.

It is this same kind of ignorance that is hindering downtown redevelopment in Florence as well.

• 1 month later...

Apexyank, I like your site. Re: the Atlantic Beach development, hopefully it will go through. I noticed there was no mention of the 40 story towers. The architect's website said there would be 536 units in the two buildings, but the article said 400 condos on 5 lots. So while that is good news, I doubt there will be any 40 story buildings going up. 20 maybe.

I couldn't help but shake my head reading the article, especially the local black opposition to the developments because it would "erode the culture and history" This when the area is blighted, with crime and prostitution running rampant. This is the polar opposite of what you see in white neighborhoods, where the residents fear blacks moving in and property values going south. Here, the residents fear whites (developers) moving in, cleaning up the mess, and property values going up. If you're renting I can see the opposition. But why would property owners oppose this? I wasn't aware that crime, drugs, prostitution and blight are parts of black culture that you want to keep. I'm sure most blacks don't even want to go to Atlantic Beach anymore.

It is this same kind of ignorance that is hindering downtown redevelopment in Florence as well.

Flo,

You're misinformed my friend. Atlantic Beach is akin to what the Lake City area is to Florence County and Williamsburg county is to the Pee Dee.

These are majority black areas that have been starved of development for years and crime is a by-product. I hope this makes a little sense to you.

Surely you can understand the locals in Atlantic Beach wanting to hang on to some of the sentimental things that the town once thrived on and I hope that this project is firm.

BTW, reminders of the old Confederacy are ever present in SC. :shades:

Peace

Archived