Atlantic Beach

apexyank

Flo,

These are majority black areas that have been starved of development for years and crime is a by-product.

Scoop,

Yes, but one of the reasons this area has been starved of development is the owners have been opposing development plans which would improve what it is now. At this point, Atlantic Beach refusing any development is akin to a starving man refusing food because it isn't his favorite brand.

And I agree that reminders of the old Confederacy can be seen flying in trailer park yards throughout SC, as well as the south east (and other places). But that has no relevance to the discussion regarding Atlantic Beach. It is a depressed, run down old beach town that needs to be revitalized.

Upscale shouldn't be black or white.

Peace back...

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scoop,

Yes, but one of the reasons this area has been starved of development is the owners have been opposing development plans which would improve what it is now. At this point, Atlantic Beach refusing any development is akin to a starving man refusing food because it isn't his favorite brand.

And I agree that reminders of the old Confederacy can be seen flying in trailer park yards throughout SC, as well as the south east (and other places). But that has no relevance to the discussion regarding Atlantic Beach. It is a depressed, run down old beach town that needs to be revitalized.

Upscale shouldn't be black or white.

Peace back...

Flo,

This area is no different from countless areas in this country, that seek to maintain their cultures. These folks don't oppose developement, they just want to have some control of the types of changes proposed.

I'm off topic with my Confederacy analogy? I've read through many post on this site which veers off topic to make points, but I guess certain subjects are off limits in this forum. So I'll leave you guys to your discussion.

Peace and out

Flo,

This area is no different from countless areas in this country, that seek to maintain their cultures. These folks don't oppose developement, they just want to have some control of the types of changes proposed.

I'm off topic with my Confederacy analogy? I've read through many post on this site which veers off topic to make points, but I guess certain subjects are off limits in this forum. So I'll leave you guys to your discussion.

Peace and out

The issues of race are often discussed in the UP forums, I just don't think racism per se plays any role in the development proposals for Atlantic Beach. Unsuitable development, yes; maintaining an areas history, yes; but racism, no. I think it furthur dilutes the meaning of the word. But that's my opinion: I'm just another poster on this board.

Feel free to start a new thread on the SC board on race, the Confederate flag or any other topic, and I'm sure you'll get lively discussion both pro and con. I hope to see (and respond to) more of your posts in the future, Scoop.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

On Humphreys site it says east coast, south carolina when you search the projects. The only place on our east coast for a project like this is myrtle beach, sc so that has to be their plans. This could end up being the tallest in the state if built. I figured it was bound to happen in Myrtle eventually.

• 5 months later...

^My guess are that these plans have gone up in smoke like many have in the the area and nationally due to the credit market drying up and people realizing that real estate can't continue to appreciate far faster than income growth in the long term. I have to admit that I am not up to date as to what is going on in Atlantic Beach, but this project seemed like a long shot at best.

BTW the architecture firm that did the original renderings now only identifies the project as "East Coast" SC.

• 2 weeks later...
So who has the skinny on the two towers to be built in Atlantic Beach. Is the developer still around? I wonder if the developer will be selling the property in the huge real estate auction on the 29th of September? BTW, who is the developer for this site now? Is it still the same person?

• 1 month later...

Archived