758 Wealthy St SE

twoshort

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bazzani did do that building. The bookstore is still in mind for her but she is in a temporary holding pattern while she recovers from all the expense of "the building". I guess they had to do more work than they bargained for.

Maybe in a year or two?

Anyone know what the inside of this building looks like? I saw the door open one day and it looks like it has a cool old bank mezzanine. I'd love to see what they did to the joint...

Joe

Sorry for the ignorance, but what does the outside of this building look like?

Anyone know what the inside of this building looks like? I saw the door open one day and it looks like it has a cool old bank mezzanine. I'd love to see what they did to the joint...

Joe

There is a mezzanine in the back of the building that was once a very small office it is now the owners living quarters.

Where the old bank was is just one tall volume. It still doesn't look like much on the inside. It is still waiting to be rehabbed.

I emailed the owner of the store. She said she's been renovating for a while, and hopes to have the renovations finalized by late summer. She also said that if all goes perfectly she's looking at opening this fall. Also, although the store isn't open she has been placing orders for bookclubs and special orders, and if you're looking for anything she'd be more than happy to order it for you, she even said she'd deliver it. In her email she wrote:

"I love the area for its vision and its diversity, and I think a literary bookstore that can also serve as a cultural center for the neighborhood is just what we need."

She asked if I wanted to be added to the mailing list for an invite to the grand opening celebration. If you're interested you can email her (Roni) at: [email protected]

Hello, all:

My name is Roni, and I am the one trying to convert the old bank building at the corner of Wealthy and Eastern into a bookstore. Thanks for all of the interest!

As already mentioned, the project has been in progress for quite a while now, but renovations have been way more extensive (and expensive!) than I expected. With Bazzani as my contractor, I've finished most of the exterior structural work, and all of the rebuild in the "living quarters", which is at the rear of the building on four levels if you include the roof terrace. Phase II of the renovations will begin this Spring, and will focus on the interior of the bookstore. The building may not look like much yet, but it has great potential (16 ft ceilings, huge palladian windows, original tile mosaic flooring, unique plaster trim, etc.). I've tried to keep most of the original features of the bank if at all possible, but haven't been afraid to update things, either -- the space will now have a functional restroom, wireless internet access, a fireplace, and, hopefully, a coffee cart. I was also lucky enough to purchase an antique piano from the owners of The Pepper Moon Gallery, so music will be part of the experience.

Though my training is in the medical field, I've always loved the literary life, and hope the store will be a place where readers and writers can get their literary fix. If you have any thoughts about the store, the space, or the project that you'd like to pass along, feel free. LitLife (as I like to call it) is meant to be a neighborhood store, so I'm happy to consider merchandise or services that you'd like to see as part of its offerings.

Thanks again for your comments!

As already mentioned, the project has been in progress for quite a while now, but renovations have been way more extensive (and expensive!) than I expected. With Bazzani as my contractor, I've finished most of the exterior structural work, and all of the rebuild in the "living quarters", which is at the rear of the building on four levels if you include the roof terrace.

Nice to see you found us ok :D It's good to hear that the extra expense didn't ruin the experience and scare you away.

That building has three floors of interior living space?? I would never have guessed that. Pretty cool :thumbsup:

• 1 year later...

Hi, all:

Just wanted to give you a bit of an update on the building at 758 Wealthy Street SE. Luckily, after a bit of a stagnant delay, renovations have been ongoing in the storefront for the past six months. If all goes well, Literary Life Bookstore & More will be opening in October (target date: 10/2/07)! As owner of the business and the building, I have high hopes for the store. What metropolitan neighborhood would be complete without a fully functioning bookstore?

The building that sits behind the bank (facing Eastern) is not in any way connected to LitLife, though I have been glad to see the work that has been done on it lately. Just south of that building, however, is the private parking lot for the bookstore.

Looking forward to the store opening, and being a part of the Wealthy Street revitalization!

Best,

Roni

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Eveyone--

I'm Michael Cirivello, the manager of Literary Life Bookstore & More. Like Roni, I am thrilled to be opening the store later in the Fall. I'm new to Michigan (a transplant from Northern California), and have been impressed with the vitailty and excitement of the area. Lots of changes, lots of challenges, but GR seems to be making great strides toward a re-discovery.

And I'm proud to be part of that with Literary Life. Roni has an outstanding vision and dedication to the area, and we both hope to establish a truly independent bookstore for the city. Look for further news soon!

--Michael

Welcome Michael!

When are you going to share some progress photos of the inside of the building? :)

Joe

Hi Eveyone--

I'm Michael Cirivello, the manager of Literary Life Bookstore & More. Like Roni, I am thrilled to be opening the store later in the Fall. I'm new to Michigan (a transplant from Northern California), and have been impressed with the vitailty and excitement of the area. Lots of changes, lots of challenges, but GR seems to be making great strides toward a re-discovery.

And I'm proud to be part of that with Literary Life. Roni has an outstanding vision and dedication to the area, and we both hope to establish a truly independent bookstore for the city. Look for further news soon!

--Michael

Thanks for the nice welcome Joe.

I just happened to take a few shots this week. As you can see, construction is finishing up, and we're anticipatng having our structures and shelves up in about two weeks. The fireplace in the back will be our centerpiece.

llall.jpg

--Michael

Literary Life Bookstore & More

Welcome Michael!

When are you going to share some progress photos of the inside of the building? :)

Joe

Archived