Graffiti

Rnozsay

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Graffiti is a very big in issue in lil' Rodey. It is every where you go, Im not going to lie I do enjoy looking at it becasue it a nice form of art but then again it ruins our city. What steps do think we should take towards graffiti?

Some grafitti affected areas could be painted over with murals, though I'm not too sure thugs would care to avoid defacing murals.

Here's a nice mural that really adds to the streetscape in New London, CT.

http://newlondoncountyguide.com/images/Pic406small.jpg

Also, there are methods to protect surfaces from grafitti. I wonder how well they work.

http://www.americanpolymer.com/

The graffiti in Waterplace is very disturbing. We are making this park the centerpiece of the city and the seagull droppings and meaningless scribble overpower the park. It looks like there is no maintenance at all done on this park. Also, when it's low tide, you can see every tire, shopping cart, and piece of garbage in the river. There are even chairs from Bella Vista. This park has become an embarrassment, not a jewel. I was shocked as I walked through there yesterday. What can one do? It's out of the jurisdiction of the DID. Should we contact our councilman? Please advise..

Yes, graffiti all over Providence is becoming a huge issue for me. It's absolutely everywhere and is becoming a quality of life issue...

The graffiti in Waterplace is very disturbing... Should we contact our councilman? Please advise..

Start here:

Park Maintenance Division 785-9450, ext. 230

Then find your representative at the link below and contact them:

http://www.sec.state.ri.us/elections/findyourofficials/

This is the Park Department's website... Do they have an e-mail contact?

http://www.providenceri.com/government/parks/index.html

- Garris

The graffiti in Waterplace is very disturbing. We are making this park the centerpiece of the city and the seagull droppings and meaningless scribble overpower the park. It looks like there is no maintenance at all done on this park. Also, when it's low tide, you can see every tire, shopping cart, and piece of garbage in the river. There are even chairs from Bella Vista. This park has become an embarrassment, not a jewel. I was shocked as I walked through there yesterday. What can one do? It's out of the jurisdiction of the DID. Should we contact our councilman? Please advise..

I believe there is a proposal out there now to dredge the river in Waterplace, I think WaterFire is actually paying for a good chunk of the cost.

The graffiti in Waterplace is extremely disturbing, and I can't say I'm buying this, 'we can't use our machines when the temps are below freezing' excuse. If there were a swastika painted on City Hall in January are we to believe that it would remain until the temps rose above 50?

It looks like no maintenance is done in Waterplace because no maintenance is done. They closed the park for the winter. Every winter they close the walkway closest to Mem. Blvd. but usually the other walkway is open. With Waterplace construction on-going, the whole riverwalk outside the basin was in effect closed.

Waterplace needs a full time staff, Roger Williams Park has full time staff does it not. I've been a big booster of turning the park over to a private, non-profit, management agency along the lines of what is done at Central Park and Bryant Park in New York City.

It looks like no maintenance is done in Waterplace because no maintenance is done. They closed the park for the winter. Every winter they close the walkway closest to Mem. Blvd. but usually the other walkway is open. With Waterplace construction on-going, the whole riverwalk outside the basin was in effect closed.

I have to assume that Waterplace will improve once GTech and the condos are in. Cotuit's idea here is a good one and probably one nfp company could maintain both Waterplace and Station Park (assuming Polo doesn't go there).

i can get behind that. So to speak. I'd like to see less spitting as well. And, some dress codes people! no more pants halfway down some boy's butt. sheesh! oh oh oh and if see one more thong peeking out from some teenager girl's pants, i just don't know what i'll do!

very truly yours, Mrs Kravitz

• 2 weeks later...

There is some horrible graffiti in front of the RISD buildings on Canal walk. Not even creative, just unsightly.

most of the graffitti i've seen around here is pretty unsightly and very uncreative. mostly "F-someone" or "i heart someone" or just people's street names. it's pretty pathetic.

philly has some great murals painted on the sides of buildings in their not-so-nice neighborhoods (kind of like that pic from new london). i think we should push for this. and i think the colleges downtown (risd and jwu) should invest in that graffiti proof paint. they had that on one of the buildings at uconn (my friend's father actually helped develop it and was all proud that it was used at uconn). it was great, the spray paint just ran off.

• 3 weeks later...

I've noticed a pretty unanimous sentiment that the city's parks are very poorly maintained and that grafitti is a big problem that is not addressed in a timely manner. So, not to oversimplify the problem, but if it's such an issue can't the city just hire some more folks to maintain the parks, clean up the grafitti, sweep the sidewalks, etc.

I've noticed a pretty unanimous sentiment that the city's parks are very poorly maintained and that grafitti is a big problem that is not addressed in a timely manner. So, not to oversimplify the problem, but if it's such an issue can't the city just hire some more folks to maintain the parks, clean up the grafitti, sweep the sidewalks, etc.

That makes sense, but Providence (and the rest of RI) is sadly saddled with horrific civil servant contracts that end up bankrupting the cities and towns, leaving very little money to take care of infrastructure. Civil servants cannot be fired after 20 years on the job, have no year end job reviews (ever), and can retire after 28 years on the job with about 3/4ths pay and full medical benefits for the rest of their life (plus yearly cost of living increases). Meaning if they started in their 20's they can retire in their 50's. Also, the civil servants who are supposed to take care of the parks do not have to work outdoors when the temps hit 90 degrees! So, summer park maintance is also hindered by the weather being too hot.

Archived