How would YOU vote?

ShowMeKC

Yes or No to renovations?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Should they renovate the Truman Sports Complex?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Should they build a rolling roof for both stadiums?

• Yes
    • No

A vote is coming up on April 4th that will detirmine whether or not Kansas City will renovate the Truman Sports Complex and add the world's largest rolling roof to the complex. As well as keep the teams here for 25 more years.

The NFL has stated they will grant us Super Bowl 49 if the roof and renovations pass. (we will be given the largest lead time ever to prepare for the Super Bowl)

MLB said they will give us the All Star Game between 2010 and 2014 if the renovations pass.

AND the NCAA is expected to announce that they will give us the Final Four if the renovations and roof pass.

Both teams have threatened to leave if the voters say no.

I told some on the KC site that other cities would kill for this opportunity, yet the county is split on the issue because it's a sales tax issue and some feel the owners should all pay more...

IMG_7827_sized.jpg

IMG_7836_sized.jpg

Ballot Language:

JACKSON COUNTY, MISSOURI: QUESTION NO. 1

SPECIAL ELECTION, APRIL 4, 2006

OFFICIAL BALLOT

Shall the County of Jackson impose a countywide sales tax at the rate of three-eighths of one percent (3/8%) for a period of twenty-five years from the date on which such tax is first imposed for the purpose of improving, renovating and modernizing the Harry S. Truman Sports Complex to retain the Kansas City Chiefs Football Club at Arrowhead Stadium and the Kansas City Royals Baseball Team at Kauffman Stadium with leases for a term expiring January 31, 2031?

JACKSON COUNTY, MISSOURI: QUESTION NO. 2

SPECIAL ELECTION, APRIL 4, 2006

OFFICIAL BALLOT

Shall Jackson County impose a local use tax for the purpose of constructing, maintaining and operating a rolling roof over Arrowhead and Kauffman Stadiums at the Harry S. Truman Sports Complex, with any revenue from the tax which is not needed for those purposes to be used for retirement of the obligations issued to finance improvements to the Harry S. Truman Sports Complex, at the same rate as the total local sales tax rate, currently three-quarters of one percent, provided that if the local sales tax rate is reduced or raised by voter approval, the local use tax rate shall also be reduced or raised by the same action, such tax to be imposed only if a 3/8ths of one percent sales tax for improving, renovating and modernizing the Harry S. Truman Sports Complex, as described in Question One on this ballot, is approved by the voters? A use tax return shall not be required to be filed by persons whose purchases from out-of-state vendors do not in total exceed two thousand dollars in any calendar year.

Renderings:

rollingroof3.jpg

rollingroof1.jpg

rollingroof2.jpg

rollingroof.jpg

kauffman%20site2.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Light rail isn't going to happen anytime soon. It would cost a whole lot of money, as well as the fact that KC citizens are addicted to their cars. Mass transit is provided but rarely, if ever used. There was a vote on light rail several years ago I believe, but voters turned it down.

A football stadium should never have a roof over it and I believe that the climate in KC is too dry to justify the need for a roof for Kaufman either. Unfortunately, the NFL wants a roof for KC to get a superbowl even though in my opinion it would be a waste of money. Renovating these two stadiums seems like an excellent idea to me and a better alternative to tearing them down and building new like all the other cities are doing.

Well... The results are:

Question 1: Renovations for the Stadiums- YES

Question 2: Rolling Roof for the Super Bowl/Final Four- NO

Looks like the voters in Jackson County are smart, but not smart enough. Hopefully the owners find a way to build the roof without the vote in public.

• 4 weeks later...

Sounds like the right call to me. All that money to build a roof so KC can bring in a handful of events?

They're finally getting around to upgrading our indoor arena here in Providence. I think Arrowhead is one of the great old stadiums in football, designed just for football and very loud. I suspect they needed skyboxes or something to compete with the teams in new parks. The roof is a little over the top. :lol:

Do the Royals really need more seats? Do they ever fill that place up?

• 3 weeks later...

I am a sell out for stadiums. I love them. I love how they look in the skyline of a city and I love the big sports played within them. I know money could be better spent elsewhere but I always like the stadiums.

This KC proposal looks cool but I wonder if that's the whole thing. The looking cool being the point I mean. So the roof only covers one stadium at a time...I guess it's okay by me. If the stadium in AZ...I think...can roll it's field outside to get some sun then why can't the KC stadiums roll their roof around?

No stadiums will ever be Qwest and Safeco...not in my heart. Safeco has a big rolling roof that slides out over the street. Qwest has no roof at all.

Archived