Pua'ena Renderings

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

Looks like this project is unfortunately dead in the water. They is a new owner of the property, but The Wave Waikiki is closing within the first two weeks of June.

This is the Honolulu Advertiser article dated April 26, 2006

Wave Waikiki ends its long ride in June

By Derek Paiva

Advertiser Entertainment Writer

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/...P604260326.html

Wave Waikiki, the iconic quarter-century-old nightclub "on the edge of Waikiki," will close in June.

Jack Law, the nightclub's founder and owner, said he was verbally informed by the property's landowners that Wave Waikiki will have to leave in the first two weeks of that month.

After being signed to a long-term lease for much of its existence, Wave Waikiki had been on a month-to-month lease since 2004, when former landowner Los Angeles-based Oaktree Capital Management LLC first put the 2.2-acre parcel the club is on up for sale.

The parcel with Wave Waikiki, a vacant lot, parking lot and a couple of low-rise buildings was planned as a sale to San Diego-based architect and developer Paul Thoryk last July. Thoryk's plan was to construct a $225 million, 35-story luxury condominium project called Pua'ena on the site.

However, the property now has a new owner, said Keith Kurahashi, a local project consultant for Thoryk. Kurahashi could not immediately identify the new owner.

Wave Waikiki has been on the same 1877 Kalakaua Ave. property since opening in November 1980.

Law, who had been looking for other Waikiki locations for the Wave since the nightclub was first placed on a month-to-month lease, said he does not plan to reopen elsewhere.

"To me, it was just too much of a gamble to put your signature on a lease in Waikiki when the rents are running around 40, 50 and $60,000 a month," said Law.

Law said he would consider reopening Wave Waikiki in another location only with a working partner/investor on board.

"I would like to do that to keep the name and the legacy alive. I do think that the Wave has something there that's intangible that somebody might want to keep alive."

Law's other venerable Waikiki nightclub, Hula's Bar & Lei Stand

Shoot so what the heck then? This is probably the best looking highrise proposal the city has seen in years and now it might be dead? :( I wonder why the originally buyers sold out, very low key stuff. Other stuff that seems to be low key. There are also some of the other projects that go on in the city that never get much mention too or renderings released. Lot's detailed info seems to be hidden in the shadows at times.

Well something is happening there after the first half of June unless the new owners plan to keep the land vacant.

My conversation with the project architect revealed some insight on the Pua'ena project. He said the project wasn't moving along because talks with another landowner adjacent to the site did not progress. Their financers wanted the architect/developer to purchase the land mauka of the project site.

Archived