Does anyone know if Best Buy or Circuit City will open a store in Benton County?

Hoggy Bear

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

previously posted:

Best Buy has been confirmed to NOT be going in Pleasant Crossing. Instead, Best Buy will be built adjacent to the Pinnacle Promenade off Perry Road and 45th Street. This property is a seperate property owned by Pinancle, but in the Promenade development. It's a good location to put it though.

previously posted:

Best Buy has been confirmed to NOT be going in Pleasant Crossing. Instead, Best Buy will be built adjacent to the Pinnacle Promenade off Perry Road and 45th Street. This property is a seperate property owned by Pinancle, but in the Promenade development. It's a good location to put it though.

Has a timetable been set for that Best Buy then? All I've seen under construction on that side of I-540 (other than the hospital) is the Promenade.

I would think Faulkner Co would be next on the list.

That or Jonesboro, which now has a circuit city. A Conway location would only serve Faulkner and a few other counties. According to a link in the mall at turtle creek post, the Jonesboro market serves 18 counties (Missouri included) ranging from 350-400,000 people.

Best Buy is looking to build out near the newest wal-mart supercenter in Conway, on Dave Ward Drive. There's no timetable...but Brad Lacy with the city development dept says that several businesses are looking to build out there and that Best Buy was one of them. A lot of was banking on the new western loop to be constructed in that area, but lacy says that the businesses will locate there regardless of whether the loop is built.

Best Buy is looking to build out near the newest wal-mart supercenter in Conway, on Dave Ward Drive. There's no timetable...but Brad Lacy with the city development dept says that several businesses are looking to build out there and that Best Buy was one of them. A lot of was banking on the new western loop to be constructed in that area, but lacy says that the businesses will locate there regardless of whether the loop is built.

That's an odd location. I would think they would want to be visible from I-40 and as close to the new Target, Kohl's etc as they could be.

As an aside, Best Buy is going through a big corporate shakeup and cost-cutting right now. They haven't said they are looking to close stores or stop expanding and they're trying to prevent layoffs but you have to wonder if this will hurt planned expansions such as the one in Benton Co and the one in Conway.

That's an odd location. I would think they would want to be visible from I-40 and as close to the new Target, Kohl's etc as they could be.

As an aside, Best Buy is going through a big corporate shakeup and cost-cutting right now. They haven't said they are looking to close stores or stop expanding and they're trying to prevent layoffs but you have to wonder if this will hurt planned expansions such as the one in Benton Co and the one in Conway.

I hadn't heard about this Best Buy news. Even if it somehow put off opening a store in Benton County I couldn't see it being put off for too long. I think the area is growing too much for them to ignore. Although maybe a Circuit City could try to come in and take advantage with no Best Buy.

Although maybe a Circuit City could try to come in and take advantage with no Best Buy.

Circuit City is notorious, at least hear in FL and apparently in Jonesboro too, for being the first to enter a market. Unfortunately when Best Buy moved in several years later it almost put Circuit City out of business. In NWA's case however, i think that Benton county could support both stores.

I hadn't heard about this Best Buy news. Even if it somehow put off opening a store in Benton County I couldn't see it being put off for too long. I think the area is growing too much for them to ignore. Although maybe a Circuit City could try to come in and take advantage with no Best Buy.

Read today's Arkanss Democrat-Gazette's business section - there's an article on it.

Circuit City was in LR first as vbfl said and boy did their business drop off when Best Buy came in. Best Buy employs twice as many people per store, though, and therefore the difference in revenue probably isn't as great as you would think just by looking at store volume.

Yeah I've been down to the one in Ft Smith several times before we got one up here in Fayetteville. And Circuit City did open up here before Best Buy did. Although I can't remember how much longer it's been open. I'm pretty sure it came after Service Merchandise, which of course would eventually close and become Best Buy. I'm certainly glad we got a Best Buy but it was sorta stupid to close our Service Merchandise. It was doing great but they decided just to close down all the stores outside metros of a certain size no matter how well they did.

• 3 weeks later...

Another thing to consider about revenue is that Best Buy pays by the hour, while Circuit City pays commission. So Circuit City probably spends more per employee, but has less of them.

I don't think Circuit City pays commissions anymore. There was a national story about that a few years ago. Apparently, they don't anymore.

I don't think Circuit City pays commissions anymore. There was a national story about that a few years ago. Apparently, they don't anymore.

That's interesting. With the thousands of retail jobs being added by Rogers this year and the years following any retail store looking to open in Rogers had better be competetive if they hope to land the best sales staff. I don't envy the managers of the hundreds of retail stores opening here in Rogers, because they are going to have one heck of a time finding good employees. Especially since Wal-Mart has been adding a lot of jobs that usually pay more than retail and many don't require any experience.

I like to imagine there will be more Help Wanted signs in new store windows than there will be Sale signs.

That's interesting. With the thousands of retail jobs being added by Rogers this year and the years following any retail store looking to open in Rogers had better be competetive if they hope to land the best sales staff. I don't envy the managers of the hundreds of retail stores opening here in Rogers, because they are going to have one heck of a time finding good employees. Especially since Wal-Mart has been adding a lot of jobs that usually pay more than retail and many don't require any experience.

I like to imagine there will be more Help Wanted signs in new store windows than there will be Sale signs.

Yep. KNWA had a story that said that by the time the development at Pinnacle Hills was done, there would be 10,000-12,000 employees in that area alone on a daily basis.

Which spells Traffic Woe's :D

Yeah and a lot of people will moving out of Dodge... or away from New Hope Road or Perry Road or whatever they call it these days. I drove through that mess and have to wonder if the roads will be ready by October 4th. All I know is I'm sure a lot of people were po'd that they lost most of their front yard in the name of progress.

• 4 months later...

Drove by Pinnacle yesterday and the new Best Buy is right off I-540. Does it look like they are building an off ramp off I-540 before the actual Pinnacle exit? If so, that will help the congestion right there in front of the Home Depot up there.

No, this is simply going to be part of the new Perry Road or "Pinnacle Rd". What you are seeing is the overpass section, which is going to go over the Interstate to connect with Pinnacle Hills Blvd on the western side of I-540. I believe a few lanes on 540 are going to be shut for the next 3 days for construction.

No, this is simply going to be part of the new Perry Road or "Pinnacle Rd". What you are seeing is the overpass section, which is going to go over the Interstate to connect with Pinnacle Hills Blvd on the western side of I-540. I believe a few lanes on 540 are going to be shut for the next 3 days for construction.

I hope they let us know so I can go the back way into work without getting tied up on 540. Do you know what they are gonna build over there on the Westside of I-540?

I hope they let us know so I can go the back way into work without getting tied up on 540. Do you know what they are gonna build over there on the Westside of I-540?

Depends on what part you mean.

The Embassy Suites addition has started, plus I think a Baptist Church is wanting to build a church near Champions blvd.

I'm also waiting to hear from Pinnacle about the highrise project. They said they wouldn't release any info on it until the Perry Road Interchange was completed.

Archived