Walmart at Town Center

vdogg

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is a shame this site will be wasted on a suburban like Walmart.  It will make it very hard for the downtown to grow west past Kellam.

The plans could have been worse.  I would call this a sub-urban rather than a suburban Wal-Mart.  They devil is in the details, and the facade treatments will dictate the feel of the store much more than it's orientation which isn't too bad.  The building does a good job of presenting itself as urban in the most highly visible part. (Va Beach Blvd)

The store as rendered is flush with the street on both Horace Ave and Virginia Beach Blvd.  Half of Columbus Ave will be a parking deck and the other a small surface lot.  Kellam Rd is fronted by a third surface lot, a third parking garage, and a third already existing shopping center.  There is plenty of room for Town Center to expand, and in an ideal world, if Town Center reaches such a critical mass that they are running out of room westward, those surface lots and the low end shopping center are primed for re-development.  This is a net positive for the area and hopefully generates some foot traffic for Town Center as well.   

• 3 weeks later...

I rode by today and was astounded how much progress has been made but..that long stretch of its tall walls right there on the Boulevard is horrible! I was hoping for something a little more pedestrian friendly. I guess I'll wait to pass judgment until its completed. *sigh*

• 3 weeks later...

I may be coming around on this. I spent the weekend in Atlanta and the suburban/urban mismatch layout of the metro is very similar to Hampton Roads. After taking a trip to Buckhead I think I may have seen the future of VB. You have skyscrapers next to strip malls yet somehow the whole thing just works. I took some pictures and will post when I get home.

I noticed the same thing when I visited in 2011 and '12. Like HR, you need to have a vehicle, although MARTA's train system is much more beneficial. I could see the Tide growing to that in the next decade.

I think VB will become a textbook example of how to build a city, similar to ATL in the 70s and Charlotte in the 90s.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone have any shots of this? Interested to see how it's coming along.

I really do hope that Town Center gets some more organic, high density development going.  If I ever need to move back to the area, I'd like to have an option of living in a more urban, built environment that doesn't necessitate having to take a car to get a carton of milk and loaf of bread.

• 4 weeks later...

I may be coming around on this. I spent the weekend in Atlanta and the suburban/urban mismatch layout of the metro is very similar to Hampton Roads. After taking a trip to Buckhead I think I may have seen the future of VB. You have skyscrapers next to strip malls yet somehow the whole thing just works. I took some pictures and will post when I get home.

Where are those pics?   :whistling:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived