Walmart at Town Center

vdogg

The down side of that article though states CityView is still another 12-18 mos away. Man, how much longer must we wait? :(

No it doesn't, I think they were referring to city walk, seeing as that development is the one adjacent.

[rant] This is not an article! This is a one person diatribe against town center. The bias is so obvious as to be grotesque and it really makes me wonder who exactly is this person and what their problem is. As for the "urban Walmart" It still looks like a suburban wasteland to me. Bravo for the adaptive reuse of the FX property but our most pressing need is not a big box store in the CBD. God forbid someone has to drive an extra 2 miles in either direction to reach another one of the 800 Walmarts we have in our arsenal. My computer almost lost its life after reading that article because it was enough to make me want to throw my screen against a wall.[/rant]

All better :)

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The reason the taxpayer-subsidized Town Center exists is because City Council objected when Target originally wanted to locate across from Pembroke Mall. "No," the council said. The city would not allow any 'big box' retail development along Virginia Beach Blvd. in the Pembroke area.

This statement is false. City council objected to Walmart taking up prime land in the district, not Target. To my knowledge target has been nothing but courted in recent years. Whether they will come remains to be seen.

The down side of that article though states CityView is still another 12-18 mos away. Man, how much longer must we wait? :(

Also, i'm not too worried about this, because I always expected City Walk to come a bit later. I think you even posted something that stated it wouldn't start until 08, so this is pretty much in line with that. I'm more concerned about the 2nd office tower, and when that will start. We should be getting fairly close now and yet we've heard nothing. :(

This Walmart thing just plain sucks. Why in the World does Pembroke need this monstrosity? I would rather drive a few extra miles to go to Target than to shop at this example of capitalism gone bad (Which I favor, but Walmart makes me question my views). Anyways, I hope the owner doesn't sell to them, but they're probably from out of state and have no real stake in our Town Center, so they're out for the bottom line.

With all the lower income housing surrounding the west side of the Pembroke area, the customer base is there. So there is some truth to the underprivilged argument. There is also some truth to the TC creating a need for this. TC parking and infrastructure are being funded by a TIF. With rising construction costs and the push to reduce the rise in property tax bills, the City may need more TIF money to pay off the bonds. The more businesses that are within the TIF, the more money flows into the system.

Now that it looks as though some big-box will be coming, instead of fighting them, do a little arm twisting. Make approval of store contingent on ground-floor retail surrounding the parking deck. Or ask for a residential component on Kellam and Columbus/Cleveland. Or better yet, have them help pay for a redone 264 interchange.

I don't want any big-box coming to the site, but if they do, get some concessions out of them.

more or less, force them to work within the idea of the downtown, nothing wrong with that.

Yup. If they really want the site, the big-box will give in to City demands especially ones that may generate them more cash flow like additional retail or an office/residential component.

I'm actually quite surprised by the initial rendering that puts Wal-mart on the Blvd with the parking structure in the back. Although the main building appears to face Kellam, something can be done with those out-parcel buildings that creates a more pedestrian friendly environment that would eventually tie into City Walk.

Anyway, I don't see how the City can deny approval. The developer is working within the code calling for more dense development. They're even asking for a zoning change that would make it more urban by eliminating the setback. The parking entrance is off of Kellam with no driveway on the Blvd. Again, the only thing the city can do is demand concessions as part of the zoning variance.

Well, at least it will be an urban style store. The Walmart on Lynnhaven (non Super one) was recently remodeled and with its wooden floors and fresh updates it does remind me of a Target. Personally, I would much rather have Target come than Wal Mart but who knows, Target may still be looking for a location close by. The down side of that article though states CityView is still another 12-18 mos away. Man, how much longer must we wait? :(

Looking at the article though it can be somewhat confusing. The article states Walmart has probably spent $45k in site plans and engineering studies yet the owner of the property states "I have not signed or acknowledged an offer from Wal-Mart of anyone else." He did admit that Wal-Mart, Target, and Lowe's have expressed an interest. Things that make ya go hmmm.

Man, okay... everyone is like "Target is the bomb, Walmart stinks." So I needed some spoons and stuff. Oh yea, forks also. This was when I moved from VaBeach to downtown Norfolk (Owner was jumping rent up $650/month in vaBeach). So I hit up target and got the goods. I'm not really picky about spoons and forks, I'd rather invest the money in MIDI equipment or audio stuffs for home or rides. So I got somes spoons and forks in a kit, some glasses (The kind you drink from) and other consumer goods straight off the boat. Then I went and did some shopping at Walmart the next day, for food. Walmart had better spoon/fork kits, they just were more asthetically pleasing. In the end, I lost out by going to Target versus Walmart.

I thought the beef with Walmart was that it wasn't going to be a gianormus skyscraper, and it was basically the wrong type of land use around the Virginia Beach downtown (Friends say it looks fake, like cities at Busch Gardens, Disney Land or universal studios). Where was I. Oh yea. But here you are like "Target Yaaaay" but No to Walmart. Both are the wrong type of land use for the vision of a dense city downtown. That is, unless they put $500k condos on top.

I dig the multistory Walmart. They need to keep the parking garage flat though. If it's all slanted, then all the lazy people can't leave the shopping carts out in the middle of the parking lot. What's with that? You ever roll up to the Military Circle walmart? Sheesh. The Lynnhaven one is another world.

A multi-level walmart will be crazy.

I had the idea of a nightclub for the F/X building. The truth is, so does everyone else. Parking would be a nightmare though. That building is so big, you could have an indoor riot go down and no one on the outside would get hurt. Here is a question to see how many of you all _REALLY_ represent Hampton Roads. Who here went to F/X when it was a store?

BTW, Walmart has Spoons and Forks, 5 for $1. Metal. I kid you not. Prices that low, you can just pitch them instead of washing them. LOL. Kidding. You take them back and return them for new ones, hoping you don't get restocked ones you returned the week before.

\nnn/ ROCK

Man, okay... everyone is like "Target is the bomb, Walmart stinks." So I needed some spoons and stuff. Oh yea, forks also. This was when I moved from VaBeach to downtown Norfolk (Owner was jumping rent up $650/month in vaBeach). So I hit up target and got the goods. I'm not really picky about spoons and forks, I'd rather invest the money in MIDI equipment or audio stuffs for home or rides. So I got somes spoons and forks in a kit, some glasses (The kind you drink from) and other consumer goods straight off the boat. Then I went and did some shopping at Walmart the next day, for food. Walmart had better spoon/fork kits, they just were more asthetically pleasing. In the end, I lost out by going to Target versus Walmart.

I thought the beef with Walmart was that it wasn't going to be a gianormus skyscraper, and it was basically the wrong type of land use around the Virginia Beach downtown (Friends say it looks fake, like cities at Busch Gardens, Disney Land or universal studios). Where was I. Oh yea. But here you are like "Target Yaaaay" but No to Walmart. Both are the wrong type of land use for the vision of a dense city downtown. That is, unless they put $500k condos on top.

I dig the multistory Walmart. They need to keep the parking garage flat though. If it's all slanted, then all the lazy people can't leave the shopping carts out in the middle of the parking lot. What's with that? You ever roll up to the Military Circle walmart? Sheesh. The Lynnhaven one is another world.

A multi-level walmart will be crazy.

I had the idea of a nightclub for the F/X building. The truth is, so does everyone else. Parking would be a nightmare though. That building is so big, you could have an indoor riot go down and no one on the outside would get hurt. Here is a question to see how many of you all _REALLY_ represent Hampton Roads. Who here went to F/X when it was a store?

BTW, Walmart has Spoons and Forks, 5 for $1. Metal. I kid you not. Prices that low, you can just pitch them instead of washing them. LOL. Kidding. You take them back and return them for new ones, hoping you don't get restocked ones you returned the week before.

\nnn/ ROCK

:rolleyes:

I never said I wanted Target there, I want target at Pembroke because that is where a big box retailer belongs. If we absolutely have to have a big box retailer on that land however, I would prefer the urban Target scheme to the urban Walmart scheme. They do it much better and actually try to fit into their surroundings. Walmart coughs up a semi-urban store (lets just add another floor and call it urban :rolleyes: ) and then lays this sprawling wasteland of a parking garage right next to it. They do not belong in Town Center, period.

I never said I wanted Target there, I want target at Pembroke because that is where a big box retailer belongs. If we absolutely have to have a big box retailer on that land however, I would prefer the urban Target scheme to the urban Walmart scheme. They do it much better and actually try to fit into their surroundings. Walmart coughs up a semi-urban store (lets just add another floor and call it urban :rolleyes: ) and then lays this sprawling wasteland of a parking garage right next to it. They do not belong in Town Center, period.

Right on Vdogg, you said it all in this post.

If they could put that deck under the Walmart and use the rest of that land for some retail/ office or Condo mix i'd be inclined to support this project. That garage is a deal killer though.

Yeah they didn't draw everything in to the picture. If I'm not mistaken there is a trailer park right next to those water towers so that is probably the reason you don't see those. Trailer parks are just not a great tool for marketing. :D

This is a complete waste of land. I'm with you vdogg they should put the parking deck under the store and use the rest of the land as mixed use.

Walmart3.jpg

I think there is retail on the ground level of the parking garage from the pic if I'm not mistaken. This look's to me to be the best case scenario for a Walmart.

Archived