Walmart at Town Center

vdogg

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The city still has the final say, but knowing VB they will probably let this design fly. I think if this proposal was in another city *cough, cough* we would probably in for a design change.

This isn't Lynnhaven; it's the Pembroke CBD. VB will request design changes. The City has been putting big box stores through a tough review process as of late. The Lowe's that was supposed to go up on the Blvd between Lynnhaven and Great Neck had to make several design changes. Lowe's was willing to do them because their numbers should a big return on investment. Ultimately, a problem with an easement did it in. Wal-mart is in the same postion with a Pembroke site. The City can push for a design it likes, and it knows this.

They could always put a few more floors on top of it for apartments!

They could call it "The Residences at Wal-Mart: Low leases Everyday!"

Heh, it would still be $850 a month minimum to match the Military housing payouts :-)

Anyone know the vacancy of the apartments at Town Center? I definitly see lights on in some of the units at night.

They arn't.

Lol. Thank goodness. I'm not sure... I'm glad that they're looking into affordable shopping in the area, but c'mon, Sears and a new Target across the street---it isn't really neccessary. I like that they at least somewhat tried, but it's just reinforcing the idea that Virginia Beach will never get a true "downtown CBD" which is unfortunate :( I hope it doesn't go through.

A downtown or mid-town wal-mart would do great in Richmond or Petersburg. Why can't y'all have it there?

:huh: You can't possibly be serious, a walmart in downtown Richmond? That would be a very poor land use and an insult to Richmond all rolled into one. Take a look at this rendering.

Walmart1a.jpg

^^^Sprawl like this is bad enough in Va. Beach, but alas due to our suburban nature we've come to expect it. Something like this in DT Richmond would be beyond unacceptable. Walmart has plenty of places where it can expand outside the cbd of either of these cities.

There are absolutely no plans what so ever for a wal-mart in downtown Richmond, so just disregard that. Also, hell would freeze over before one would be built in Shockoe Bottom or Manchester or 'Midtown'. I doubt there's even available land to build such a monstrosity in or that close to the CBD.

There are absolutely no plans what so ever for a wal-mart in downtown Richmond, so just disregard that. Also, hell would freeze over before one would be built in Shockoe Bottom or Manchester or 'Midtown'. I doubt there's even available land to build such a monstrosity in or that close to the CBD.

Whats up with that dude posting wrong info? He did the same thing with the Richmond Braves. No offense to him.

Whats up with that dude posting wrong info? He did the same thing with the Richmond Braves. No offense to him.

He didn't say their would be one, he said there should be one, which is the point that I was addressing.

:huh: You can't possibly be serious, a walmart in downtown Richmond? That would be a very poor land use and an insult to Richmond all rolled into one. Take a look at this rendering.

I'd be willing to bet that the cost to make a walmart with additional space above it would be very high. Plus the 24 hour traffic coming to the Walmart would disturb the condo/apartment owners (Not quite Station 21 or whatever but you get the idea).

Walmart does the business though. It's just a shame they don't share the profits with their employees. That is my #1 gripe with them.

OK, OK Ok let me clearify things for you. I meant if they did build one there. Which is possible but not happening and if it did the city would make them build it a way thats made for the city, unlike the way they're built in the county.

On the braves issue Russ. The information I said could be wrong but at the same time right. Because our mayor said they were staying. But he hasn't talked with the brave for a month, so he really doesn't know what they're gonna do.

And a walmart in DOWNTOWN I said won't happen, I said maybe mid-town (possible), manchester (possible), and Shockoe Bottom (unlikely).

I would have thought they would just build walmarts in real subs, not one that a city and a suburb at the same time like booming VA beach whats going on down there?

• 2 months later...

Just to give everyone a quick update, I am working as a technician for the summer at Engineering Consulting Services in Chesapeake(kind of a pseudo internship), and the company is under contract as the consulting firm for all the walmarts being built in the area (I am currently at the SuperWalmart in Portsmouth and the one being built on Tidewater drive). Today, the Walmart to be built in Town Center came up, and I was pleasantly surprised to hear that it has been put on hold, due to city opposition to the project. WalMart has already bought the lot of land, however the city is calling the site a city park, ie a business park for multiple business uses. Walmart is currently trying to fight the decision, and it may end up going to court now.

Just to give everyone a quick update, I am working as a technician for the summer at Engineering Consulting Services in Chesapeake(kind of a pseudo internship), and the company is under contract as the consulting firm for all the walmarts being built in the area (I am currently at the SuperWalmart in Portsmouth and the one being built on Tidewater drive). Today, the Walmart to be built in Town Center came up, and I was pleasantly surprised to hear that it has been put on hold, due to city opposition to the project. WalMart has already bought the lot of land, however the city is calling the site a city park, ie a business park for multiple business uses. Walmart is currently trying to fight the decision, and it may end up going to court now.

I hope that Walmart looses! They don't need a walmart that close to the TC.

So Wal-mart now owns the land not the FX guy anymore?

For some reason this news puts a very big smile on my face. :) So the city hasn't lost its mind after all. Initially I got the impression that the city was just going to let this thing go through as is. Unfortunately, the city may wind up having to buy the land from Walmart, and Va. Beach citizens will be none to happy about that. It'll be interesting to see how this turns out.

For some reason this news puts a very big smile on my face. :) So the city hasn't lost its mind after all. Initially I got the impression that the city was just going to let this thing go through as is. Unfortunately, the city may wind up having to buy the land from Walmart, and Va. Beach citizens will be none to happy about that. It'll be interesting to see how this turns out.

Well Walmart has alot of money at its diposal is the only thing that worries me. The city will have to look to see if its worth spending alot of the tax payers money on fighting them. Walmart could tie this up in court to make it unfeasible for the city to fight it. Let hope that Walmart gives in and doesn't try to put up a fight.

If I go into the office tomorrow and not just strait to portsmouth, I will try to verify that WalMart does own the plot of land, though that was the impression portrayed to me by one of our project managers. I was also under the impression that WalMart sees that area as a hot spot for their type of development and does intend to fight the cities decision.

Archived