Walmart at Town Center

vdogg

Walmart is indeed pretty ruthless and will go to court in a heartbeat. If they do indeed own the land then I would think the city would think twice about even going up against them and we may be out of luck. This sounds like bad news. :( Thanks for the update mistermaj and look forward to hearing more soon... very soon.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I go into the office tomorrow and not just strait to portsmouth, I will try to verify that WalMart does own the plot of land, though that was the impression portrayed to me by one of our project managers. I was also under the impression that WalMart sees that area as a hot spot for their type of development and does intend to fight the cities decision.

How does Walmart see the TC as a hot spot for them????? That's crazy. I don't think people spending the type of money on these condos want to see a walmart there. Are they going to try a upscale walmart :rolleyes::sick: ?

How does Walmart see the TC as a hot spot for them????? That's crazy. I don't think people spending the type of money on these condos want to see a walmart there. Are they going to try a upscale walmart :rolleyes::sick: ?

They see the Pembroke area (as a whole) as an underserved area in regards to those type of stores which I agree although I don't really care to see a Walmart coming to fill it.

TC is definately a hotspot for a place like Wal-Mart. Across the street is Aragona Village and most of the area around that is chock full of townhouses and apartments. Thalia is also near the area. The closest Wal-Marts are either in Norfolk or are across the "gauntlet" (all the roads going under 264). This whole area is underserved by retail and a new Wal-Mart would fit there perfectly. I would be very surprised if a Wal Mart is not built on the FX site or if the city doesn't end up buying them another site to swap out.

How are cities in California like Inglewood and Rosemead, which are working-class areas perfect for Wal-mart to exploit, able to block Wal-mart from building there? From articles, Inglewood city council voted against it and even tried to block big box stores, but Wal-mart threatened to sue. To circumvent city code Wal-mart put a referendum to the voters who ended up saying no to Wal-mart despite it's spending $1 million. Can't VB just say no too?

How are cities in California like Inglewood and Rosemead, which are working-class areas perfect for Wal-mart to exploit, able to block Wal-mart from building there? From articles, Inglewood city council voted against it and even tried to block big box stores, but Wal-mart threatened to sue. To circumvent city code Wal-mart put a referendum to the voters who ended up saying no to Wal-mart despite it's spending $1 million. Can't VB just say no too?

The thing is as of right now there are more people that would actually desire to have one than not. Most of the families that live in the area are working class people who only have the Kmart nearby and I think they would be quick to agree that a Walmart is a great idea.

In California, citizens have more control over what others can do in their cities. Here in VA, the right of the land owner supercedes the rights of everyone else. This is why developers do not have to pay any of the costs of roads, schools, etc. when they plop a subdivision down. This is also why I see that VB will have to cut a deal with Wal-Mart or lose in court over this.

In California, citizens have more control over what others can do in their cities. Here in VA, the right of the land owner supercedes the rights of everyone else. This is why developers do not have to pay any of the costs of roads, schools, etc. when they plop a subdivision down. This is also why I see that VB will have to cut a deal with Wal-Mart or lose in court over this.

Developers still don't pay the fees here in cali; they pass the melo roos tax onto the home buyer. Anyway, how do Virginia municipalities block certain projects then? Are they only relying on zoning codes, meaning that if a developer needs to rezone to get a project built, they city/county simply refuses to do so?

This is why developers do not have to pay any of the costs of roads, schools, etc. when they plop a subdivision down.

In many Virginia Counties, developers are required to pay proffers in order for a project to be approved. If I'm not mistaken, in Chesterfield County, residential developers must pay $17,000 per lot developed to offset the impact new residential development has on the county infrastructure, though virtually all of that cost is passed on to the homebuyer.

Developers still don't pay the fees here in cali; they pass the melo roos tax onto the home buyer. Anyway, how do Virginia municipalities block certain projects then? Are they only relying on zoning codes, meaning that if a developer needs to rezone to get a project built, they city/county simply refuses to do so?

Well I am no expert on land ownership issues... I apologize for any mistakes in my info. In VA, a certain district (like Ghent) can approve buildings based on existing codes. They cannot force already standing buildings to conform to the plan. Same goes for projects. The municipalities can probably disapprove anything, but if the land has already been zoned for what the owner intends to build (like the Walgreens in Ghent), there is little legally that the municipality can do when it comes to court.

I am very surprised to hear that they are charged a fee in Chesterfield Co. Coupe. I agree with that in the principal that the money goes for new schools and new roads. I think it is a terrible idea if that $17K ends up in the county coffers to be used for anything.

Well I am no expert on land ownership issues... I apologize for any mistakes in my info. In VA, a certain district (like Ghent) can approve buildings based on existing codes. They cannot force already standing buildings to conform to the plan. Same goes for projects. The municipalities can probably disapprove anything, but if the land has already been zoned for what the owner intends to build (like the Walgreens in Ghent), there is little legally that the municipality can do when it comes to court.

I am very surprised to hear that they are charged a fee in Chesterfield Co. Coupe. I agree with that in the principal that the money goes for new schools and new roads. I think it is a terrible idea if that $17K ends up in the county coffers to be used for anything.

Sorry, I didn't mean it like that. It was meant as a tongue-in-cheek comment. Developers here do pay the Mello Roos fees, but most of the time those fees are passed onto consumers as an added fee on the home closing cost or as higher floor space rent. However, you'll sometimes see new homes for sale with the tag: No Mello Roos or Mello Roos paid.

No, according what records I have it is in another party's name and the last sale day was 6/28/84 so nothing recent has been recorded. BTW, Mr. Divaris may own some property but mostly he negiotates leasing to some of the big retailers across the country. Can he buy it? I would think he has the ability to do so.

Indeed, Divaris has the ability to get financing for the FX property. Mr. Divaris has developed local properties in the past, most notably the avant garde 3556 By the Bay project on Shore Dr. However, he makes the bulk of his money marketing, leasing and managing other people's properties.

From what I understand, the FX property owner had originally planned to partner with a development company in a land lease arrangement. The idea was to mirror City Walk. I am unaware of any changes in their strategic vision.

Yes, Wal-Mart is a persistent, aggressive and cash rich corporation. They have pursued a suitable location in the CBD for many, many years. I doubt they'll give up anytime soon.

Indeed, Divaris has the ability to get financing for the FX property. Mr. Divaris has developed local properties in the past, most notably the avant garde 3556 By the Bay project on Shore Dr. However, he makes the bulk of his money marketing, leasing and managing other people's properties.

From what I understand, the FX property owner had originally planned to partner with a development company in a land lease arrangement. The idea was to mirror City Walk. I am unaware of any changes in their strategic vision.

Yes, Wal-Mart is a persistent, aggressive and cash rich corporation. They have pursued a suitable location in the CBD for many, many years. I doubt they'll give up anytime soon.

Mirror City Walk? That would be awesome. Hopefully they can stave off Walmart long enough to make these plans come to fruition.

• 6 months later...

I can't wait to see Walmart At Town Center Virginia Beach Virginia to Be here :yahoo:

I have owned a Home in Aragona for 7 years

I Love Walmart! :D

When is it coming???????????

Woo Hooo!! :yahoo:

First, Welcome to the forum! I don't think that Walmart is a good fit for what TC is trying to be. Maybe they could put it somewhere else. I personally don't have any problems with it but they are trying to create a urban atmosphere and Walmart is just the opposite of that!

the funny thing about Walmart being at the towncenter is that they were the ones wanting to put a Walmart up where the town center now sits and offered the city more money for it. Now if they wish to be there they need to in some way act like they are a part of the town center rather than against it.

I can't wait to see Walmart At Town Center Virginia Beach Virginia to Be here :yahoo:

First of all, welcome to the forum. :)

When is it coming? Hopefully never.

As far as urban development It is anything but. It is sprawl in its worst form and has no place in the city center.

I have owned a Home in Aragona for 7 years

I Love Walmart! :D

When is it coming???????????

Woo Hooo!! :yahoo:

It is the perfect spot!!! right in the middle of Norfolk and the Beach :w00t:

I think as Beautiful as a building it is (That I seen) It would go with Town Center!

I cant wait for it to come!

I am a supporter 100% of it being there in The Old FX spot!! Or where HQ was

There is Plenty of Parking space for Both places! YES

Waiting For Super Walmart So I can go Shopping Closer to My Aragona Home

Archived