Alston Center in NW Cary

JunktionFET

New and widened roads, street gridding in this area, etc, will make things worse. Most likely once the projects are completed you will see (if they're not already there) McMansion developments, Lowe's Foods/HT/your pick, and stop lights every quarter of a mile. IMO, the current road construction and improvements going on now are about 5-7 years past due anyway. Limited access highways would work for better than just widening roads, but there's too much sprawl already to convert existing roads or build new ones.

Essentially in ONE development at ONE interchange, we are potentially adding the ENTIRE population of Apex in an area maybe (?) 1/10 the size of the town. That's insane.

I think the S. Durham, N. Raleigh, Cary/Apex/Holly Springs areas will have traffic problems like Atlanta's northern suburbs if development like this continues. There was mention of even widening I-75 to 23 lanes in some parts to attempt to handle traffic and relieve the horrible congestion.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm scared to see what the Triangle will be like in 15-20 years.... :blink:

Plans are also underway to build a 2,300 home subdivision in Clayton. No matter where you go around here, there's always red dirt, cleared trees, and orange cones.

I am not scared but I know the triangle is not prepared for this crazy growth.In 20 years I see the triangle at 2.7-3 million and still no completion of regional rail. I also think by then we will catch Charlotte in population, metro wise. We will probably resemble Atlanta with its sprawl and 4 hour standstill gridlock....Please nobody throw anything at me for that comment.

I absolutely agree... that's where that area is headed.

I am not scared but I know the triangle is not prepared for this crazy growth.In 20 years I see the triangle at 2.7-3 million and still no completion of regional rail. I also think by then we will catch Charlotte in population, metro wise. We will probably resemble Atlanta with its sprawl and 4 hour standstill gridlock....Please nobody throw anything at me for that comment.

I'll throw an agreement your way. I think the Triangle could very easily resemble Atlanta in sprawl in the next 20 years. Wake county itself is huge and there are many undeveloped rural areas out there just waiting for a developer to come along and offer top dollar for it.

It is not surprising to see it taking place either. Think about many of the large land-owners left in Wake and surrounding counties. Many of them are old tobacco farms that are no longer growing the crop like they did in their prime. With the buyout gone, these property owner have huge taxes that they must pay every year on their land. Many just can't afford it much longer. It's not surprising that they are selling off their land and cashing in on their retirement. In turn, the developers subdivide the land and make huge profits themselves.

I think you are right on.....I spend a deal of time in Northern Wake but swung out towards 401 North the other day as well....and while alot of attention is given to Cary and RTP in this forum, I was completely floored by the sea of rooftops that arcs from 64 east/Southall Road, Rogers Road, all the way up thourgh Rolesvile, Heritage/Wake Forest and then on to Wakefield. There are almost no jobs nearby...just people...and they all have to commute to RTP, or Highwoods, or downtown to get to a job....and this is no cheerleading for our area...it is way too much too quick done improperly......man...I lost track of just how much it all was in under two years...

Archived