How are after hours bars and dance clubs affecting downtown residents?

smeagolsfree

I spoke to an AA pilot this morning who has an interest in a downtown condo this morning and he related a story that happened this weekend. Some of his friends who live in the Quarters were assaulted by a group of thugs coming out of one of the clubs downtown and the front door to the Quarters was smashed. When the police arrived the question to the victim was, "what did you do to provoke them?". He said that they are going to have a meeting with Metro police about this and other incidents that have occurred in the recent past. Maybe some of the downtown residents on this forum can shed a little more light on the subject as well.

I was downtown early on a Sunday morning about 6am and there was a running fight going one between 5 or 6 guys in the middle of 2nd Ave. The police was no where to be found. I called Metro and they came about 10 minutes later and I know for a fact they saw the guys and did nothing.

I am wondering how much of this stuff is going to go on downtown before the police react. Maybe a new resident will have to be hurt badly or one of the new residents of one of the many downtown projects will be assaulted before Metro does anything. I dont think they would want a lot of bad press.

Many of the kids that go downtown, the large majority as a matter of fact cause no problems. But it seems to be a certain element coming out of the after hours clubs that cause the problem.

What do you all think the solutions could be downtown? I thought Metro was looking into regulating the after hours clubs but I have not heard any more about that. Will more of these problems have an impact on the mayors downtown living initiative? I just want to get some opinions on this problem.

RK, I hope you can leave this thread here instead of the coffee shop, because it can directly affect urban living and future development.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I lived at the Quarters, the problem was the two clubs immediately adjacent. One gang went to one, one to the other. When they would spill out at closing time, all hell could break loose. The worst part is the clubs have security, but once they're out of the club, not their problem.

After a shooting right outside my window on 1st ave one night and a couple of others on 2nd, we had a talk with Metro's Captain. Obviously that didn't help. We also talked with the owner of at least one of the buildings, who so happened to own the Quarters and converted it and seems to own every other historic building downtown. He said he couldn't do anything because he had investors who wanted those spaces rented. Money was the bottom line.

I would think that living in downtown on second avenue is a very different thing from living in other parts of downtown. There is a very different feel. On second avenue, you are not only close to the clubs, but also to the tourist trap spots. It can get old quickly on some nights because it has such a teen hangout feel to it. Even during the day, the atmosphere is different. This was very evident when I went on the Downtown Homes tour last year. When I got to 2nd avenue, there was a very different vibe from, say, Church St. I would think this problem would affect 2nd avenue residents as opposed to residents in other parts of dt--just a guess though.

Not surprising at all about the cops doing nothing dt. I have a friend who is Metro PD and he worked dt for a couple of years. Listening to him talk about dt, you would think that dt is beyond reproach. It seems there is an attitude that, "those people" are just out of control and that people are crazy to live inside Davidson County, let alone dt. I don't mean to offend anyone, but I think there is a major culture problem w/in the Metro PD.

RK, I hope you can leave this thread here instead of the coffee shop, because it can directly affect urban living and future development.

This topic is fine for this forum, it is Nashville specific the way you have posed your question.

My biggest concern living downtown the times I have was random crime while walking to or from work or supper downtown. Lurking folks later at night always bothered me more than youths, but then again I was not hanging out in the club areas at the time of night when these issues arise more often.

Perhaps there is a clash afoot, between what downtown has been and what it is becoming. As far as crime--the more people there are, the better. I have never experienced any encounters w/crime in dt in my times there. I really do think that if crime is a problem in dt, it is in large part because of neglect of those whose job it is to prevent it, not because it is an inherently dangerous place. To be honest, I feel safer and more comfortable walking around dt after Preds games, on my way home than I would walking around out in the middle of nowhere at night.

May I ask which clubs the attackers came from?

As someone who is still young and who visits after hours clubs from time to time, I really don't want to see Nashville get out of hand and coming down too hard on them and regulating them until they cease to exist. Most people aren't there to cause any problems. With the increase of inhabitants downtown, perhaps the Metro Police should consider upping how many officers they have patroling the urban core at night and concentrate on hot spots. At 24, one of the greatest appeals of coming back to Nashville from Ann Arbor is the nightlife. Here, everthing closes at 2am which is fine for most people but I'm a night owl who loves electronica. I would hate to see my options limited because of fear caused by a few bad apples.

I always wondered why a lot of the focus on loft rehabs was focused so much on 2nd ave. and Printer's Alley. Aside from avaibable building stock, it seems like an undesirable location to live in due to the noise factor particularly on weekends, let alone fights and harrassment. Granted, downtown isn't going to be country quiet by any means but it seems certain areas are more appropriate for habitation.

I can't say for sure... but I could probably guess which clubs the people came out of.

I was downtown last weekend walking around at like 1-2am... went to cross Commerce at 4th ave, headed for Printers Alley (coming from Broad)... I waited until I got my walk symbol... then proceeded to cross. There was a car waiting to turn left onto Commerce (headed south on 4th), so I hurried up to get outta his way and leave him room to turn behind me... but that was apparently not good enough. He, for some reason, felt the need to turn pretty much into the wrong lane of traffic on Commerce... and then sat there and waited on me like I was in his way. Yet, there was plenty of room behind me for him to have turned behind me... into the CORRECT lane of traffic. Then... after he waited on me to get outta his way... he rolled his window down and gave me some advice... "next time you see a car coming, get the F*** outta the way." Let me remind you, I was a ped., and it was my right of way... not to mention I had a walk symbol.

Anyway... the driver was indeed one of the type of "thugs" that you tend to see on the northern part of 2nd ave late at night. Usually they aren't too bad... but they tend to take up the entire sidewalk, wont get out of your way... and sometimes will make comments towards you.

I'll tell you... if it wasn't for the Wildhorse... 2nd ave would be a very different place on weekends. The Wildhorse is almost outta place it seems. I'm not a prejudice type of person at all... but I do think there are certain people who are nothing but "thugs"... and it's hard to tell sometimes.

The problem is not the police. The problem is with the criminals. Metro PD is insanely understaffed. If you listen to their comms on a digital scanner, you will hear how backed up they get with calls.

We need to start holding criminals accountable for their actions and increase supporting the men and women in blue: Both financially and intellectually.

I'm 22. I frequently go downtown on the weekends to a club or two. I go to Gram, Ms Kellys, the beer cellar, and a few more sometimes. I have a great time and I do believe for the most part the people arent that bad. I know on the northern part of second they like to act like thugs and take up the whole sidewalk but for the most part they wont say much to you. I tend to lean more to the college scene, which there are a few people who get drunk and fight but not to many people who attack someone for no reason. There are a few clubs I would hate to see go but there are more I would love to see stay. I'm young and I have a good time down town on the weekends. I plan to move down town in the next few years and I would love to be able to go down to bar get drunk as a skunk and walk home. Maybe increased patrols by officers that are actually doing there job and not just sitting there looking at the women would help.

I happen to agree, that it's not too bad. But I have had a time or two that i've felt uncomfortable, like the incident I described above.

What i've kinda noticed since I moved here... is that section of downtown seems to have gotten worse. I remember one weekend a while back when not only was the sidewalk taken up but almost the entire street!

The problem is not the police. The problem is with the criminals. Metro PD is insanely understaffed.

I don't know the current figures for the total numbers of Metro PD, but when I saw the figures for the department under the previous Police Chief in the late '90s stacked up against cities of comparable size, such as Boston, we were dramatically underrepresented. On top of that, to have such few numbers covering an area that is 11 times the area of Boston is outrageous and a threat to the public safety.

This is a serious problem that must not be allowed to get out of hand. If Nashville is ever to achieve it's full potential as a 24 hour city with a vibrant downtown consisting of neighborhoods, workers, tourists, and entertainments lovers, the crime scene must be under control. The police force may need to be increased for this, and a plan with a new greater emphasis on controlling this must be enacted. The future of Nashville is at stake. It would be in the best interest of this city for as many as possible to voice their concern about crime and gangs in downtown Nashville and demand that something be done about it.

• 1 year later...

There are some afterhours clubs that are relatively peaceful and don't attract 'thugs'. But I'd guess that most afterhours clubs, no matter the crowd, attract people who are hopped up on coke or ecstacy and have nowhere else to go at 4am.

Archived