New Toyko Tower

Looks as if the reign of the CN Tower in Toronto as the world's tallest freestanding tower is about to come to an end. The Japanese have decided to build a replacement for the Tokyo Tower, called the New Tokyo Tower, which will become the tallest tower in the world. The tower is

The tower is supposed to be completed by 2010. More info here.

923_Computer%20generated%20image%20of%20the%20new%20Tokyo%20Tower.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

I think that's great, a Tokyo Tower dominating the skyline makes the unique design stand out, it becomes and icon for the city. It screams "Tokyo". However over time, other buildings have dwarfed the Tokyo Tower. With this newer, bigger one, Tokyo will once again have that icon standing out.

It would be like the Statue of Liberty if it were downtown NYC, rather than on its own island.

Honestly, I really like it. I know most people don't, but I think it's very futuristic, no matter how similar it is to the Eiffel Tower, and fits Tokyo well. It's very sleek and modern.

the existing Tokyo Tower is already VERY similar to La Tour d'Eiffel. Take a look.

tokyotowerbg7tu.jpg

The New Tokyo Tower looks amazing. As far as I know, they haven't started building it yet. I haven't seen anything at least, and I drive completely through "downtown" Tokyo every work day.

• 3 weeks later...

So I guess this is the new, proposed Sumida Tower? I had it confused with the new Saitama Tower, supposed to serve the same function, same height and all. It looks like they are in competition? The overall price tag doesn't seem to bad....

Here's a bit more info:

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=232094

seeing as the new Tokyo Tower will be situated news the Sumida River, it's a pretty sure bet that it will be called Sumida Tower.

That emporis site gives a pretty good look at the thing though... and actually, i think it's kind of ugly. hopefully thay pick a new design before they start building.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks as if the reign of the CN Tower in Toronto as the world's tallest freestanding tower is about to come to an end.

There is a tower currently being built in Dubai which will be taller than the CN Tower anyway. I don't know which of the Dubai and Tokyo towers is taller.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived