15 Best Skylines in the World

Here is a ranking of the 15 best skylines in the world. It's pretty interesting with a few surprises. I summarized the list here but it's worth reading the article.

What do you think of this list?

1. Hong Kong - 6.9 million

2. Chicago - 9.5 million

3. Shanghai - 13.1 million

4. New York - 21 million

5. Tokyo - 32 million

6. Singapore - 3.8 million

7. Toronto - 5.1 million

8. Kuala Lumpur - 1.5 million

9. Seoul - 20.8 million

10. Sao Paolo - 18.3 million

11. Sydney - 4.2 million

12. Frankfurt - 4.1 million

13. Dubai - 1.6 million

14. Seattle - 3.6 million

The following got honorable mentions
  • Pittsburgh - 2.4 million

• Guangzhou - 4.1 million

• Dallas - 5.2 million

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your list seems pretty well constructed. On mine, as is the case on this one, Hong Kong would definitely be the top pick. Having lived there for over a month I really appreciate that place. The light show on Hong Kong Island, as viewed from the Kowloon side, cannot be beat and each trip on one of the Star Ferries can be as if it was your first trip in regards to all the buildings you see at different angles, how the mist hugs Victoria's Peak and/or the buildings, and simply weaving through a shipping lane is always a treat.

IFC I and II are such nice buildings, too.

Oh, and if you're ever there over the Chinese New Year you'll have an extra treat while viewing the light show. Fireworks are lit from the tops of many of the tallest buildings and some of these buildings are even adorned with lights that together paint a scene representing the animal of that year and others merely state "Happy New Year!", in Chinese of course. :thumbsup:

Where would NYC be if the WTC towers were still standing?

I'd say at 'least' above Chicago.

The WTC towers, much as we may miss them, weren't particularly spectacular contribution to a skyline. Aside from their height, they were pretty much just rectangular blocks.

• 2 weeks later...

I love most of those entries, but I wouldn't put Frankfurt over many other city skylines out there. I like Seattle and Pittsburg's skylines a lot more.

Perhaps to give Europe a city? Notice that South America and Australia also have just one entry. Though Sydneys' skyline belongs, I'm not sure if Frankfurt's or Sao Palo's does. I agree with another previous poster about Vancouver. Boston should have at least received honorable mention. Big skylines have historically been a USA/Canada (I wish they'd just join the union) thing with a few gems throughout the rest of the world, though I'm sure everyone here knows that.

I'm not familiar with many of this cities, but I would sa their are numerous skylines that beat Seattle, Toronto and Sydney. Lists like this are almost always heavily biased as they are a matter of opinion, I don't pay any attention to them.

From what I have seen, the list looks about right. I would say Houston deserves to be on the list moreso than does Dallas.

That's funny, I just got done saying the exact same thing to my wife. I think Dallas has an "okay" skyline for such a large city, but I think Houston's is amazing, especially for being in the south.

I forgot to mention San Fransisco.... There are soooo many skylines in the USA and then there's the new rich China, and the rest...

In terms of vibrancy, I will say the only world class cities we have are New York and Chicago. Europe's full of great cities without a good skyline. So please no one get mad at me for being one of "those" Americans...

The WTC towers, much as we may miss them, weren't particularly spectacular contribution to a skyline. Aside from their height, they were pretty much just rectangular blocks.

Way off base...They were either 1st or 2nd next to the Empire State Building. Any photo taken of Mahatten always had these in it. A major Icon

Well, that list is one opinion. But to leave off Houston and Atlanta and have Seattle & Dallas on there is a joke. Atlanta has nine buildings over 200 meters with one being over 300 meters and the tallest outside of Chicago and New York and more going up all the time.

Houston has even more with 14 buildings over 200 meters with one over 300 and another bulding only four meters shy of that.

Dallas, on the other hand only has seven buildings over 200 meters and nothing close to 300 meters (280 being the maximum).

Seattle only has four buildings over 200 meters.

Oh well, eveyone is entitled to have an opinion. Give Miami a decade and they will pass all of them. :thumbsup:

A good skyline doesn't neccassarily mean a lot of height, Detroit doesen't have a whole lot of height but I low it's skyline, because it has a lot of character. For me a combination of height, different architecture and a contrast of old and new (I prefer old). Many cities on the list simply have height, other than that many buildings are alike and most of those cities (all except Chicago and New York) have very few old skyscrapers.

Archived