Whole Foods?

tatersmith

Nashville is getting one in the Hillsboro area. B'ham is getting one at the 280/Green Valley intersection. Whole Foods Upcoming Locations

I've heard rumors Mem is getting one but nothing solid. Same story about "wanting to come to Midtown" but no one wanted them so they are headed way out east to G'town Parkway. Sounds like the earlier Target-Midtown rumors.

I would love one at Poplar Plaza. Somebody needs to do something with that mess. They keep putting lipstick on that pig though so there are obviously no grand plans for it.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ I've been to one in Nashville, its a nice organic grocery I suppose....I'm not into organic grocery shopping so umm...I may not be a good judge on how good the quality and prices are. The store looked nice inside and out though.

I went to the one next to Green Hills. Its smaller than the Memphis one and the parking lot was completely packed.

I went to the one next to Green Hills. Its smaller than the Memphis one and the parking lot was completely packed.

Whole Foods pretty much blows Wild Oats away. We need the competition too.

Personally, I would prefer a small butcher/seafood/cheese shop and a great bakery. Pretty astounding to me North Jackson, Mississippi can support 3 upscale butcher shops and we have Charlie's Meat Market. :sick:

Wild Oats. I also recall a pretty neat bakery in the shopping center just east of the Double Tree behind Clark Tower. Anybody been? Is it still around?

Are they competitors? Or is there a difference? I've been to a couple of Wild Oats and this place near downtown Philly (I don't remember if it's Wild Oats or Whole Foods, but it was nicely integrated into a two-story garage in a very urban low-rise neighborhood -- read: very small yards, townhomes and rowhouses). I'd love to see a store like the Philly one in Midtown or downtown, more than something with a parking lot. But they could get expensive to build.

Do you really want one? I have been unimpressed with the Whole Foods we have in downtown Washington near Dupont Circle. The Wild Oats near our condo in Fort Lauderdale is also wildly expensive. I just can't understand the logic of "organic" frosted flakes or "organic" Doritos (yes, I actually saw these things).

Do you really want one? I have been unimpressed with the Whole Foods we have in downtown Washington near Dupont Circle. The Wild Oats near our condo in Fort Lauderdale is also wildly expensive. I just can't understand the logic of "organic" frosted flakes or "organic" Doritos (yes, I actually saw these things).

As someone who greatly values fresh, high quality food, I would love one. I don't necessarily care for organic vegetables unless they taste better, but I do want their selection of specialty products. I prefer locally grown, in-season vegetables over organic (new farmers market coming downtown will help this). Their store brands (365) are generally better than most large corporate brands (i.e. Kraft, Sysco, etc). They raise the bar in meats and seafood (the only place to get a whole fish of any kind in Memphis today is one of the great Asian markets). We do buy organic milk for the kids so that's another item. Fresh Market is a decent, but relatively small, alternative.

It also helps to validate Memphis, which I believe is important to the city's growth and image.

We are getting an American Apparel (sort of the young, pre-corporate Gap type clothing company for all the hip kids) downtown, which is a huge shock to me.

Archived