Affordable Housing

Glenn

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like the houses are on Lonnbladh, between Centerville and Cap Cir NE.

pm_8_63755.gif

tlc-gis of area

Looks like Habitat has ~30 lots in the immediate area. Convenient location, decent schools (WT Moore, Cobb, Lincoln)

Hopefully they will have ready, fast sponsors and workers to get families in the homes as quickly as they say.

Thanks for the information & the research on this, JBarber!

As far as the school zones go...all of that could be changing soon anyway with the School Boards recent decision to close Caroline Brevard Elementary & send those student's elsewhere.

As far as the school zones go...all of that could be changing soon anyway with the School Boards recent decision to close Caroline Brevard Elementary & send those student's elsewhere.

I think the closing of Caroline Brevard is stupid. Yes, the school is underenrolled, but there are many schools that are overcrowded.

What do I suggest? Nip/tuck the school zones ever so slightly so that more kids are zoned to Brevard, and less are zoned for other schools (Riley, Rudieger, etc.) that may be overcrowded.

The school population is growing........yet we close schools? Yes, school zone changes are politically charged, but it needs to be done. Let's close Brevard for a little while, do extensive renovations, then reopen. Then make it appealing for parents to want to send their kids there.

• 1 year later...

Shortage of affordable housing leaves families with few options

City won't accept new applications for three years

With more than 3,000 people on the waiting list for a housing voucher program, the Tallahassee Housing Authority has more applications than it knows what to do with. The agency received the applications for the program, formerly known as Section 8 housing, during its last application period in October. They will not be taking applications again for at least another three years, director Claudette Cromartie said.

In the mean time, low-income people searching for affordable housing are left with few options.

Source: TDO.com

Housing shortage? Let's look closer

Sue Gross

My View

Are we squeezed into a rental housing crunch? According to Real Data 2006 Tallahassee Apartment Index, a study consulted and quoted by local government officials and the Tallahassee Democrat's "Living Here," the total number of apartment units in Leon County is only 18,560.

With such a scarcity, it's easy to see why commissioners are clamoring for more. Have none of them ever wondered why more of our 60,000 students aren't camping out in Doak Campbell Stadium for lack of living space?

If that's not enough, 4,448 new condos and townhouses will be added to the current 985 older ones already languishing on the market. And with once flirty mortgages playing hard to get, expect a high number of these to become rentals.

So, who will live in all these sparkling new units?

David Wamsley (the savvy developer who persuaded city commissioners to give him $2.5 million so he could charge $160,000 each for 10 townhouses instead of $260,000 under the newly minted Inclusionary Housing Ordinance) generously commissioned a study for our elected officials. This Workforce Housing Analysis from GVA Marquette projects that 2,260 new households will relocate here this year. Or maybe not. Noted economist Hank Fishkind in the Jan. 8 Democrat predicted a "slight reduction in population growth."

Without considering new single-family homes, if we add up just the new apartments, townhouses and condos, we should have 6,140 new housing units to meet what the Democrat calls the impending "housing crunch."

More{sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}}Source: TDO.com

• 1 month later...

Tallahassee leads state in median home price figures

Homeowners in the Tallahassee area were among the very few in Florida to see the median sales price of their homes increase in 2007, according to a report of the Florida Association of Realtors and the University of Florida Real Estate Research Center.

The statewide average median sales price dipped on average 5 percent, the study showed, but rose about 1 percent in the Tallahassee area.

Well I guess you could look at it that way. Another way to look at it and this is how I took it, is that our real estate market is stronger and more resilent than other parts of Florida. If you bought a home in Tallahassee in the past few years your investment is more secure and still appreciating. With the current state of home loan business and real estate market, Tallahassee is an island of calm and peace.

This news is a good thing for Tallahassee not bad.

Well I guess you could look at it that way. Another way to look at it and this is how I took it, is that our real estate market is stronger and more resilent than other parts of Florida. If you bought a home in Tallahassee in the past few years your investment is more secure and still appreciating. With the current state of home loan business and real estate market, Tallahassee is an island of calm and peace.

This news is a good thing for Tallahassee not bad.

It's very much a mixed blessing.

On one hand an investor/home owner can feel secure that they haven't lost as much value as they would have if they'd invested in other parts of the state.

On the other hand, from a business/citizen recruitment standpoint, this puts Tallahassee at a disadvage if it is cheaper to enter one of Florida's other major metro areas. Especially areas that are commonly seen to offer more ammentities than we do.

• 3 months later...

Also under-review at the 6.5 COT meeting is the following:

Villas At Crowder Ridge (TSP080038) (21-26-20-089-0000) located on 8.63 acres at 1630 Old Bainbridge Road. The proposed project is for the construction of 96 affordable multi-family units at a density of 11.12 units per acre. The property is zoned OR-1 (Office Residential 1).

This narrow but 2 piece parcel is on the west side of Old Bainbridge just south of Tharpe. It's between the self car wash (is that place still there) and DownUnder Student Apts (which I think is the dumbest name for an apt complex since Melrose Place.) I believe there's a blue metal building w/a few businesses in them that is part of this project.

Also under-review at the 6.5 COT meeting is the following:

Villas At Crowder Ridge (TSP080038) (21-26-20-089-0000) located on 8.63 acres at 1630 Old Bainbridge Road. The proposed project is for the construction of 96 affordable multi-family units at a density of 11.12 units per acre. The property is zoned OR-1 (Office Residential 1).

This narrow but 2 piece parcel is on the west side of Old Bainbridge just south of Tharpe. It's between the self car wash (is that place still there) and DownUnder Student Apts (which I think is the dumbest name for an apt complex since Melrose Place.) I believe there's a blue metal building w/a few businesses in them that is part of this project.

Archived