Fayetteville Mill District

Mith242

The Mill District has been mentioned a few times and I'm not sure if there will be enough activity going on there in the near future to have a topic but I'll give it a try. It's rather unique and isn't too far away from areas of the downtown like the Square or Dickson. Could end up being a hot spot somewhere down the line. Anyway here's a little news in this area. The clothing store Ecochic apparently has closed and a bookstore will be opening in it's place. Doesn't quite sound like you're typical bookstore though. Nightbird Books is looking to provide a venue more subdued than the nighlife on Dickson St. Looks like they have also teamed up with the nearby cafe La Maison des Tartes. Instead of having a coffeeshop like many of the other bookstores in the city it will apparently have a wine bar. Interesting idea, hopefully it will work out for them. I'd like to see the Mill District take off a little more than it has.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Mill District has been mentioned a few times and I'm not sure if there will be enough activity going on there in the near future to have a topic but I'll give it a try. It's rather unique and isn't too far away from areas of the downtown like the Square or Dickson. Could end up being a hot spot somewhere down the line. Anyway here's a little news in this area. The clothing store Ecochic apparently has closed and a bookstore will be opening in it's place. Doesn't quite sound like you're typical bookstore though. Nightbird Books is looking to provide a venue more subdued than the nighlife on Dickson St. Looks like they have also teamed up with the nearby cafe La Maison des Tartes. Instead of having a coffeeshop like many of the other bookstores in the city it will apparently have a wine bar. Interesting idea, hopefully it will work out for them. I'd like to see the Mill District take off a little more than it has.

There's a certain kitchyness (not a real word, I know) to the reborn feed mill but honestly I don't see the area taking off as a "district" and I don't think ultimately it's the way to spawn South Fayetteville development. I will say this, it sounds cool - though it's not what someone out of town that hadn't been there would expect. I think "mill" and I think more of War Eagle or NLR's Old Mill.

There's a certain kitchyness (not a real word, I know) to the reborn feed mill but honestly I don't see the area taking off as a "district" and I don't think ultimately it's the way to spawn South Fayetteville development. I will say this, it sounds cool - though it's not what someone out of town that hadn't been there would expect. I think "mill" and I think more of War Eagle or NLR's Old Mill.

Good point, I certainly doubt anyone from out of town would be expecting something like this. As you mentioned this may never really take off as a district. It's an interesting idea on paper but just may not really work in reality. Even if it were to I think it would have to do something a bit more different to set itself apart from other areas of the downtown area which isn't too far away. If you give people a choice between the Square and the Mill District or Dickson St and the Mill District I think it's pretty obvious what just about everyone is going to pick. I think it needs to find a niche apart from those other two locations.

Holy cow, that's a converted feed mill? I knew in the first picture something looked a bit different... but dang... so what are the expectations for this project exactly?

To be honest I'm not sure. All of this started off by converting an old mill into office space. There's been a little retail go into the area but I'm not sure how well the retail is doing. The clothing store doesn't sound like it did too well since they closed. The offices have been there for a littlw while now. At the moment I think people are looking at this area to possibly be an area to try out retail. Ones who can't afford rent around Dickson St or the north part of the city around the mall.

I'm also a little pessimistic of that area in the near future. However, I would think that that location has enormous potential (proximity to downtown, high traffic volumes, etc). There's also that trail that runs from the mill building up to Center St (I forget the name), which I've always wanted to walk through out of curiousity but haven't.

The old mill is apartments with fiber optic feeds. Top of the line data networking in that building. Rob Sharp architected it; he's Frank Sharp's son. Frank founded Ozark Mountain Smokehouse. I've heard good things about the project, but haven't seen the inside yet.

That entire area is about to take off. With the new Town Center building, and the development of the mill, and the new Senior Center in Walker Park, as well as the road work they've been doing on 16E/6th St., that whole neighborhood is fixing to be worth some bucks.

Believe what you want, but Jefferson is the best public school in Fayetteville right now. Has been for the last 8 years, or so.

The house right in the middle of all I listed above that I bought all those years ago is pretty close to being quadruple in value now. :rofl:

The old mill is apartments with fiber optic feeds. Top of the line data networking in that building. Rob Sharp architected it; he's Frank Sharp's son. Frank founded Ozark Mountain Smokehouse. I've heard good things about the project, but haven't seen the inside yet.

That entire area is about to take off. With the new Town Center building, and the development of the mill, and the new Senior Center in Walker Park, as well as the road work they've been doing on 16E/6th St., that whole neighborhood is fixing to be worth some bucks.

Believe what you want, but Jefferson is the best public school in Fayetteville right now. Has been for the last 8 years, or so.

The house right in the middle of all I listed above that I bought all those years ago is pretty close to being quadruple in value now. :rofl:

Can you back that up? This sounds like pure speculation. I'm still not convinced, though I could probably easily be so.

First, the street/intersection improvement at Hwy 16E/6th St (which is actually Huntsville Rd at that point) hardly matters if your talking about that location as being attractive to development. In fact it will make it less attractive to drive "through" along Huntsville/6th St by making EB traffic slow down and possibly stop in favor for 15th St/Hwy 16E traffic (which is I'm pretty much certain part of the point by Fayetteville-- they wanted to discurage through traffic on 6th St through the Jefferson neighborhood).

Second, Jefferson Elementry is about to close (I think '07 is the last year). And besides, Jefferson is or was never considered the "best" public school in Fayetteville. If so, then back that claim up.

Proximity to downtown/Dickson/UA and traffic and maybe relatively low land prices could make that area attractive (not living next to a senior center). I could see Walker Park being a possible amenity for the area.

Can you back that up? This sounds like pure speculation. I'm still not convinced, though I could probably easily be so.

Not speculation. The Fayetteville council has been buying up all of the houses in that area, refurbing them, and offering low interest loans to single mothers for 10 years in that neighborhood. They've replaced every inch of hardcap in the past 5 years, and police presence has increased accordingly. The CITY has invested in the area, and lawyerville is sure to follow.

First, the street/intersection improvement at Hwy 16E/6th St (which is actually Huntsville Rd at that point) hardly matters if your talking about that location as being attractive to development. In fact it will make it less attractive to drive "through" along Huntsville/6th St by making EB traffic slow down and possibly stop in favor for 15th St/Hwy 16E traffic (which is I'm pretty much certain part of the point by Fayetteville-- they wanted to discurage through traffic on 6th St through the Jefferson neighborhood).

Who cares about development? This is an old neighborhood where property values are going through the roof right now.

Second, Jefferson Elementry is about to close (I think '07 is the last year). And besides, Jefferson is or was never considered the "best" public school in Fayetteville. If so, then back that claim up.

Eat me. For the past twelve years Bates and Jefferson were the finest public schools in Fayetteville. When I was a kid, Washington and Leverett were. Things change. You got a link that says otherwise? I've got four teachers and two administrators in my family I defer to, and they all work for Fayetteville public shools.

Proximity to downtown/Dickson/UA and traffic and maybe relatively low land prices could make that area attractive (not living next to a senior center). I could see Walker Park being a possible amenity for the area.

You underestimate the Senior Center by a long shot. You're looking at a Senior Center huddled up next to a skateboard park and a dirt bicycle course, right next to the ballfields. That's classic Fayetteville, and nobody in the country can replicate it. This is precisely what the rest of the US hasn't figured out yet.

I'm also a little pessimistic of that area in the near future. However, I would think that that location has enormous potential (proximity to downtown, high traffic volumes, etc). There's also that trail that runs from the mill building up to Center St (I forget the name), which I've always wanted to walk through out of curiousity but haven't.

Yeah that's the Scull Creek trail. I've been on it before, pretty nice. It was a lot nicer than I was expecting. I took a few pics and posted them in the Pics of Fayetteville topic. Although I admit there's a lot of pics in there. Later I'll try to see if I can find a few pics and post them here for you.

Eat me.

No.

(Where's a moderator when you need one?)

For the past twelve years Bates and Jefferson were the finest public schools in Fayetteville. When I was a kid, Washington and Leverett were. Things change. You got a link that says otherwise?

??

You made the original claim. If you want to be taken seriously, then don't sound like such a homer for one thing; secondly just back up your claim. It ain't hard. Anecdotal is fine-- which is I see what you did. I'm trying to help you out. Otherwise, people will have to take your word for it. And who wants to take a homer's word for something? If you want respect, earn it. Otherwise, if I piss you off that's your problem.

No.

(Where's a moderator when you need one?)

??

You made the original claim. If you want to be taken seriously, then don't sound like such a homer for one thing; secondly just back up your claim. It ain't hard. Anecdotal is fine-- which is I see what you did. I'm trying to help you out. Otherwise, people will have to take your word for it. And who wants to take a homer's word for something? If you want respect, earn it. Otherwise, if I piss you off that's your problem.

Relax. No need to start yelling for help from the mods over silliness.

If you don't realize how Jefferson school is seen by the folks who actually work in the business, then that's your loss. I didn't go to Jefferson, either, and neither did my kids, but I recognize an excellent program when I see one.

Sure had some nasty basketball games against those Jefferson Jaguars back in the day, though. <_<

Yeah I agree. I admit the first time I came across this area and realized what they were doing my initial reaction was why not just tear everything down and put in some nice looking buildings instead. But the area has really grown on me, it is a pretty unique area.

Yeah I agree. I admit the first time I came across this area and realized what they were doing my initial reaction was why not just tear everything down and put in some nice looking buildings instead. But the area has really grown on me, it is a pretty unique area.

Its great, IMO. I have expressed a bit of dislike for some of Mason Blackwell's architecture, but since this is rather authentic, I like it. Its got some history.

"I live in an old converted feed mill" is a lot cooler to me than "I built my house to look like a feed mill".

I agree that the area will boom as some of the older properties are updated and/or replaced. Its too close to the high priced condos and the downtown area to not see an uptick in real estate values.

I predict a south Fayetteville renaissance of huge proportions in the next few years as the amenities in the downtown area increase, and property values continue to climb.

I plan on doing some stuff down there myself.

Its great, IMO. I have expressed a bit of dislike for some of Mason Blackwell's architecture, but since this is rather authentic, I like it. Its got some history.

"I live in an old converted feed mill" is a lot cooler to me than "I built my house to look like a feed mill".

I agree that the area will boom as some of the older properties are updated and/or replaced. Its too close to the high priced condos and the downtown area to not see an uptick in real estate values.

I predict a south Fayetteville renaissance of huge proportions in the next few years as the amenities in the downtown area increase, and property values continue to climb.

I plan on doing some stuff down there myself.

You'll have to keep us up to date. :D

Relax. No need to start yelling for help from the mods over silliness.

If you don't realize how Jefferson school is seen by the folks who actually work in the business, then that's your loss. I didn't go to Jefferson, either, and neither did my kids, but I recognize an excellent program when I see one.

Sure had some nasty basketball games against those Jefferson Jaguars back in the day, though. <_<

Now you're catching on. Act like a child, you get treated like a child. Act like an adult, you get treated like an adult. Resorting to name calling and getting your feelings hurt so easily is acting like a kid. Simple.

Okay, since you imply that you are so familiar with this subject, now I am curious. Why did the City of Fayetteville close Bates and about to close Jefferson if they were "the finest public schools in Fayetteville" for the past 12 years? Are you suggesting the City of Fayetteville intentionally closed their "finest" schools?

Not putting you on the spot, but as someone who went through 12 years of Fayetteville Public Schools (kindergarten through high school), that is news to me. I went to Asbell, Butterfield, Woodland, and both Fay High and West Campus. I'm not attacking you, or challenging you. I'm just challenging your claim. Take your time. If you don't want to respond I'm sure no one will think less of you (it's the internet after all).

• 4 weeks later...

Time to get this back on topic. I should have posted the news about the American Milling Company over here instead of in the Fayetteville topic. Anyway here's a few pics of the Mill District from Mt Sequoyah. You can't see all of it with the trees but you can see some of the taller structures. The left building in the first two pics is still a working mill. The other building is the converted mill. You can't see it from this view but the American Milling Company is not too far to the right of these pics. That's the one bad thing about taking pics from Mt Sequoyah when it's not winter. The leaves and trees cover up sections of the city.

img6766ss5ai.jpg

img6767ss5cf.jpg

img6781ss4yz.jpg

I have more pics that I took down in the Mill District. I will post them a little bit later.

Here's some shots of the American Milling Company. Thought I should take a few pics here since it's been mentioned recently. I'm still curious to see what they do with this property. I also thought it would just be the one corner but it looks like the property also crossed over a couple of streets. The third pic is just to the right (east) of the first two pics. The fourth pic is basically jut to the south, where I was standing to take the first two pics. Them the next two pics show it next to the La Maison des Tartes, which is next to the larger converted mill. Then the last pic I just tried to show two sections of the property in the same pic.

img6783ss4lo.jpg

img6785ss8ly.jpg

img6786ss0sb.jpg

img6788ss0hd.jpg

img6803ss2gb.jpg

img6804ss4uh.jpg

img6805ss4gd.jpg

I have some other pics I took, those will be posted later.

Okay here's some more pics I took while I was there. I suppose some of these will be rather similar to ones I took before. But that was with my old camera and hey I was already here so I took some more and decided to post them anyway. The first pic is the area of the Mill District I think many was hoping that was closing. In the one pic you can now see the Nightbird Books where Ecochic used to be. In the next to last shot you can see all the greenery reflected in the glass. One of Fayetteville's trails system goes right by it.

img6793ss6rh.jpg

img6794ss4dn.jpg

img6795ss3lx.jpg

img6796ss1sy.jpg

img6797ss8tv.jpg

img6798ss6zh.jpg

img6799ss5vj.jpg

img6801ss1sj.jpg

img6802ss2vz.jpg

img6806ss7ih.jpg

img6808ss1lf.jpg

img6811ss9dc.jpg

img6815ss3wr.jpg

img6821ss0tv.jpg

img6824ss6qr.jpg

A few of those mill buildings look real nice, I especially like that TEC Services one, very nice conversion of Mill Property to Office.

Some are a real eye sore and should be demolished, IMO. There's some real nice land there, it's right adjacent to the UofA Baum Stadium, they could really do some nice condo projects or a downtown setting project there.

Archived