Fayetteville Mill District

Mith242

A few of those mill buildings look real nice, I especially like that TEC Services one, very nice conversion of Mill Property to Office.

Some are a real eye sore and should be demolished, IMO. There's some real nice land there, it's right adjacent to the UofA Baum Stadium, they could really do some nice condo projects or a downtown setting project there.

Yeah I do think many people would be happy to get rid of some of the mills. Although they are still in use. Baum Stadium really isn't very close to the Mill District. It just looks that way because of the topography and the angle from Mt Sequoyah. Fayetteville just likes to try to confuse you Matt, or maybe it's my pics. :D

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm really curious in that first set of pics from Mt. Sequoyah what that "shot" will look like, say, a year from now when they build those Aspen Ridge townhomes seen behind the Mill District (now a large patch of dirt). As in, would they "fit in" with the rest of the area. That area does have some character...

I'm really curious in that first set of pics from Mt. Sequoyah what that "shot" will look like, say, a year from now when they build those Aspen Ridge townhomes seen behind the Mill District (now a large patch of dirt). As in, would they "fit in" with the rest of the area. That area does have some character...

I see your point. Although the Mill District sorta sticks out in many ways as it is now. I guess it doesn't seem so bad directly from the south. But it does seem odd that the Mill District isn't too far away from the Fayetteville Public Library. In fact the library is probably as close to it as those future townhouses. Although overall the north end of the Mill District does seem a bit less of an eyesore overall compared to the south end. Honestly it may not be too long before the rest of the Mill District undergoes changes. If that area keeps seeing developments it would seem to me that land prices will keep going up and eventually the mills will sell out and locate somewhere else.

With all the great architecture in Fayetteville I'm surprised noone has taken to buidling hillside homes built into the hillside instead of on top of it. They're very popular in the desert because they keep cooler, but Fayetteville has some great terrain for hillside homes. Just think of a Hobbit hole if you don't understand what I'm talking about.

With all the great architecture in Fayetteville I'm surprised noone has taken to buidling hillside homes built into the hillside instead of on top of it. They're very popular in the desert because they keep cooler, but Fayetteville has some great terrain for hillside homes. Just think of a Hobbit hole if you don't understand what I'm talking about.

I think there could be a few homes like that but I don't think there's a lot done that way. It does help control temperature, not just for the heat but it can also help keep a home warmer in the winter as well.

I went past the Mill District today.

I had decided to drive around the University area. You're right Mith about Mt. Sequoyah blocking the Mill District from the Baum Stadium.

:lol: Yeah views can be deceiving. Nice to know you were in town looking around. You should have asked if you wanted to know anything before you came down. One of these days I might have to go back and take some more pics around the campus.

I thought about spacing these pics out but I'll just go ahead and post them here now. Here's a few night shots of the Mill District. Although it's only a small part of it because the rest of the area is still mills and there isn't much to see at night.

img7283ss7fq.jpg

img7262ss4as.jpg

img7269ss8xw.jpg

img7272ss3hv.jpg

img7286ss0pl.jpg

• 2 months later...

A tasty little restaurant recently opened its doors in the Mill District called the Greenhouse Grille. They use organic produce and free range birds and what not. It's a bit small, but definitely worth checking out.

Yeah I couldn't remember the name but I remember hearing about that. I'm pretty sure I posted some info on that over in the restaurant topic. But that was a while back and probably way back on the posts.

• 2 months later...

Here's a general boundary of the Mill District according to Daniel Hintz the executive director of the Fayetteville Downtown Partners. Although he even admits it doesn't follow this boundary perfectly and there are grey areas. But I thought a map might be useful. The buildings I've taken pics of in this topic are down in the southeast corner area.

milldistrictcl9.jpg

the building looks a tad more interesting in this new rendering. who knows, over time it could become a very beloved building in the area. mostly, i'm excited about this chocolate shop that's going to be opened up in it. i'm a huge fan of chocolates, especially dark with very high amounts of cacao. word.

this is jiggyk's girl and he's been keeping me informed on the devo in f-town with this forum.

i think this building in the mill district is a step in the wrong direction! it is another typical brick and glass atrocity that in no way jives with the mill district's feel. i had high hopes for that area of town (and not just because i'm in the neighborhood). now, i see that the same tasteless generic buildings are going to start going up around here. it was bad enough when they put in the walgreens.

oh boy.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A random idea just popped into my head.

The Mill District needs to start participating in the Lights of the Ozarks.

In order to mark their turf as being a distinct area of town, separate from the Square, they need to figure out their own color scheme.

Instead of all red or all white as the square has gone in years past, the Mill District needs to select its own color of lights and get together and outline all their buildings in lights.

My two suggestions are all green lights, or those old fashioned large bulb multicolored lights. :shades:

Question:

What happened to the posts about the new condo building proposed for the site of the old American Mill or the Prairie Mill or whatever?

The red modern looking boxy one?

Can't find it anywhere... :huh:

In order to mark their turf as being a distinct area of town, separate from the Square, they need to figure out their own color scheme.

Instead of all red or all white as the square has gone in years past, the Mill District needs to select its own color of lights and get together and outline all their buildings in lights.

My two suggestions are all green lights, or those old fashioned large bulb multicolored lights. :shades:

Question:

What happened to the posts about the new condo building proposed for the site of the old American Mill or the Prairie Mill or whatever?

The red modern looking boxy one?

Can't find it anywhere... :huh:

Archived