Fayetteville Mill District

Mith242

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lester said the project is geared toward young professionals and people looking for a second home in Fayetteville, whether for business or University of Arkansas athletics. The condos are not going to be in the same price range as most of what

• 2 months later...

Although I hate the trend of being re-fascinated with 70s style architecture that is going to look terrible in 10-20 years when all these fake metal finishes and strangely located windows and awnings are peeling, ugly, or just don't make sense (note: new buildings at the UofA fit into this category amazingly well... look at what they built in the late 60s early 70s to now), I'm interested to see if this project will get off the gorund.

Although I hate the trend of being re-fascinated with 70s style architecture that is going to look terrible in 10-20 years when all these fake metal finishes and strangely located windows and awnings are peeling, ugly, or just don't make sense (note: new buildings at the UofA fit into this category amazingly well... look at what they built in the late 60s early 70s to now), I'm interested to see if this project will get off the gorund.

yes, they're north of walgreens, across the st. that connects 6th to locust. there used to be a couple of old houses there that are gone, but they left a very large sycamore tree which gives this development its name, i assume. there's a website on the sign that has some images of the place.

http://sycamorelofts.com/master.html

very along the lines of the converted mill across the street.

Interesting. Unless Basset Mix is marketing some of those lofts and obtained permission to use a panorama from there, I'm surprised they'd be getting away with it.

It's interesting that they're trying to make it look nearly identical to the main "mill" building at that intersection, and I think, a bad move. They could make it look somewhat... nicer... and still have it blend with the strange construction styles that are evidently becoming focused in this area. This way it just looks kind of cheap.

Interesting. Unless Basset Mix is marketing some of those lofts and obtained permission to use a panorama from there, I'm surprised they'd be getting away with it.

It's interesting that they're trying to make it look nearly identical to the main "mill" building at that intersection, and I think, a bad move. They could make it look somewhat... nicer... and still have it blend with the strange construction styles that are evidently becoming focused in this area. This way it just looks kind of cheap.

Yeah it is cheap-er looking. Probably because it is cheaper.

I kind of personally like the style the area is taking on. Its kind of a fake warehouse look, but the whole tin and chickenwire Marlon Blackwell look has really grown on me and I think it fits the grittier character of the southside. Hopefully these will be more affordable options for people who want in-town living options.

Right now, the more new residential units in the southside area, the better.

I know some people have been going to the Mill District because it's interesting and cheaper than Dickson St. But if the Mill District really starts taking off then everything will go up and I guess some will have to look for yet another 'cheap' place. But I would like to see some other alternatives than just Dickson St. So I am hoping we'll see more going on in the Mill District in the near future.

Archived