Miami Pro Soccer (again)

Southernyank

Will "Miami Football Club" Succeed?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Will the third time will be the charm in SFLA(Why)

• Yes
    • No
    • I Don't Like Soccer

So, Apparently, Miami-Dade county is ready to launch the inagural season of a new professional soccer team next month. It is actually being ventured by Brickell-based Traffic Sports USA, which has been working on the project for two years has spent several million dollars to create the "Miami Football Club". For those of you who don't know, South Florida has struggled with two previous soccer attempts in the past (Fort Lauderdale Strikers and Miami Fusion) which both eventually failed. How do you think this new team will fair. Will the third time be the charm or do you think soccer in SFLA will eventually die? :unsure:

I personally think it will succeed do to the reason sited in the article..."Miami is completely different in terms of international development from what it was four or five years ago."

http://www.miamitodaynews.com/news/060323/story6.shtml

"Miami Football Club" Website

http://www.miamifc.com/

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I personally have never watched a soccer match before, but there is something to be said about the most popular sport in the world. Miami has been a world city and is in fact becoming more and more of a world city, with comparable numbers of immigrants to those born and raised in this country. In many of these countries and islands that are represented in SFLA by newer residents, Soccer is the majority sport.

With that being said, SFLA has had two soccer attempts in the past, but for their own reasons, wound up being a big bust.

• 4 months later...

Forget it. The MLS (as well as the WNBA) will not allow their teams to play in Florida.

Umm, this is not about the MLS. It is the USL (United Soccer Leagues). While MLS is the premier league in the country at this time, there are other leagues that are trying to get off the ground, the USL being one. I think that FL could be good for socer. It almost worked in Tampa, the problem here (well, one of them) was that they played in the massive Raymod James Stadium and had a VERY unfair deal with the management of that stadium. I believe that almost all revenue from concessions did not go to the Mutiny (MLS team) but rather went to the stadium management.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

One thing I thought I'd point out. Some areas of the country seem to be having more interest in soccer because of the influx of hispanic immigrants. Although I'm not sure if this helps Miami a lot of it's Hispanics come from areas where baseball not soccer is the big sport. While there are exceptions in general soccer is the main sport in South America and everything north of it except Mexico is more into baseball. It would seem to me that Miami would be big enough to support something like a USL team. But I admit I don't know how popular soccer is in the area. Soccer does seem to have pockets of popularity around the US.

Archived