Proposed Dickson/Walton Arts Center Deck

OnDickson

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I saw that. One thing I thought was interesting was the mention about a possibility of the WAC expanding into a larger facility and having it where the current WAC parking lot is now. That way they don't have to move it to some other part of the city or NWA. Although they might want to have that as a possibility.

Yeah I saw that. One thing I thought was interesting was the mention about a possibility of the WAC expanding into a larger facility and having it where the current WAC parking lot is now. That way they don't have to move it to some other part of the city or NWA. Although they might want to have that as a possibility.

There is also a LOT of room for expansion in front of the WAC (towards Dickson Street). I know this idea has been floated around before and would certainly bring the building much more in line with the Downtown Master Plan (as far as looks, setbacks, etc). The problem being that this is more than likely a very expensive option. I think the question that will be answered when the WAC gets around to doing its feasibility study is: is it going to be more feasible to build an entirely new structure than to renovate/expand the current building?

At any rate, from previous meetings regarding downtown parking I can tell you that part of the reason the city is working so hard to build parking in the immediate proximity to the WAC is to do everything within their power to keep the WAC from ever considering leaving Dickson Street. The WAC has made it known that parking is their #1 issue as far as growth is concerned and the city is wisely doing everything they can to alleviate those concerns before talk of expansion/renovation/moving by the WAC starts in earnest.

Good points. Glad to see the city trying to do something now and not wait till it's too late and potentially lose the WAC. Like you said I guess we're just going to have to wait and see what their feasibility study says. If they did move to a location like the current WAC parking lot I wonder what would happen to the old location. I'm not sure it's set up very well to be converted into restaurant space. Some sort of retail perhaps? It's a bit big though.

Yes, it's good to see that the city recognizes this potential problem. I still say that more is going to be needed. May'be after they finish this parking deck they could build one at the current WAC parking lot. They we'd have 1,000+ spaces readily available.

Well they could possibly be using that land if it's not feasible to expand their current location. So they might not want to make any plans for that lot just yet. But I do think there needs to be another parking deck somewhere in that area.

I still really like the idea of building a parking deck on the UBC lot just north of the Legacy Building. I wish the city, university, and UBC could come to an agreement. I know this possibility has been discussed for years. UA students could use it during the day, Dickson Street patrons could use it in the evening, and the church would have it for services on Sunday.

Harmon barely fills up in the day, believe me. There's hundreds of spaces open during the day. Most people only park on floors 5 & 6. I usually park in the Harmon Garage when I take pics, and it still shocks me at how little it's used.

There's also other parking places on campus for students. If I remember correctly, most students park at the Bud Walton pit or Lot 56 and just take a shuttle to their desired location. I will agree with you that parking is atrocious at the U of A. More and cheaper parking is needed on campus, but I don't think that students are going to want to park on the extreme southern side of campus where they have to walk up two hills to get to Old Main.

I still really like the idea of building a parking deck on the UBC lot just north of the Legacy Building. I wish the city, university, and UBC could come to an agreement. I know this possibility has been discussed for years. UA students could use it during the day, Dickson Street patrons could use it in the evening, and the church would have it for services on Sunday.

Some people think that it

I'm really not surprised Harmon is not better utilized. I think it's expensive for students and staff. Some of the faculty, or students with paying parents, may be able to afford a $400+ parking space. Sooner or later supply & demand will equalize and the deck will be full.

You may be right about all the other peripheral UA lots but I do know that the Dickson Street merchants have been complaining for many years about all the students that park in the free lots on Dickson and streets just off Dickson and shuttle to campus. It limits the spaces available and convenient to their customers. Some of the lots around Dickson now have time limits to discourage the students from parking there all day. I’m not sure how well that is enforced but I know it’s been a concern of the city’s parking staff in the past. Although when students park on Dickson they are more likely to patronize some of the food and beverage establishments after class!

I took night classes the past few years and luckily could almost always find parking in the deck by the Union. Most spaces are free in that deck after 5pm. On the occasions that I had to be on campus for something during the day it was nuts to find a place to park, take care of business, and leave. Paying $2-$3 for a single visit during the day (when a space can be found) isn’t bad for infrequent visits but would add up quickly for a daily trip to campus. I don't envy people that commute to campus every day and have to search for a space. But once we get past being a full-time student many of us forget that it’s OK to walk more than a block from our car to our destination.

• 1 month later...

Here is a little more info on the parking deck situation. According to the Times, there were 2 plans submitted by the deadline this week. And it looks like the one they will probably go with will be the one presented by John Nocks group. It is a very impressive project.

Here are some details: 869 Parking spaces, 50 residential units, 12,500 sq ft of retail, 25,710 sq ft of Commercial, and 120,000 sq ft for a possible museum.

This seems like a great proposal to me, what does everyone else think?

Here is the article from the Times: Parking Deck for Dickson

Here is a little more info on the parking deck situation. According to the Times, there were 2 plans submitted by the deadline this week. And it looks like the one they will probably go with will be the one presented by John Nocks group. It is a very impressive project.

Here are some details: 869 Parking spaces, 50 residential units, 12,500 sq ft of retail, 25,710 sq ft of Commercial, and 120,000 sq ft for a possible museum.

This seems like a great proposal to me, what does everyone else think?

Here is the article from the Times: Parking Deck for Dickson

I agree, I like the proposals so far, given the limited details. Although while looking at the conceptual drawings, I have to wonder if that wouldn't look odd being taller than the WAC right up next to it. But maybe not. No doubt Fayetteville staff already thought all that through when they stipulated the requirements for the proposals. But bottom line, Dickson needs more parking, so thumbs up.

I hadn't heard any info about it having space for a future museum before. Good news. From what I saw it said it wouldn't be more than 4 stories tall because the 7 parking levels would be close together. Sounds interesting, I'm curious to see some renderings of it.

I hadn't heard any info about it having space for a future museum before. Good news. From what I saw it said it wouldn't be more than 4 stories tall because the 7 parking levels would be close together. Sounds interesting, I'm curious to see some renderings of it.

Well, I don't know if that is the total height or just the parking structure part. Jdevers said that he had seen the proposal and said something about it looking odd to see taller than the WAC. I guess jdevers will have to check this out and get back to us when they can.

As a regular patron of WAC, I dearly hope the parking deck proposal is a step towards an expanded main theater. I was under the impression that the area south of WAC was planned for expansion of the current facilty. If this isn't true, then the only area available is the current parking lot, which would actually be much better. A 2500- 3000 seat main theater is needed to attract the larger shows that WAC needs to remain the premier regional arts center that it is now.

I also hope there isn't any regional dispute of where WAC should be located. The Fayetteville Arts and Entertainment District ( what it should be promoted as) can't be duplicated elsewhere. It's the only remotely urban area in NWA. With the existing arts community and the proximity of the University of Arkansas, it's value to the region is immeasurable. Please don't let local rivalries disrupt a thriving A&E scene.

For anyone living in that area- remember how life was before WAC was built. It wasn't pretty, to say the least. Anyone else remember the bonfire at the corner of Dickson and School after the 1981 victory over Texas in football? That was fun, but a lot of less fun things occured during that period. Be thankful that it has turned around and support future improvements.

Archived