Proposed Dickson/Walton Arts Center Deck

OnDickson

And what about across Dickson at the Bank of Fayetteville (train car bank)? Wouldn't it be something if all four corners of the Dickson St./NW Ave intersection were made into higher density mixed-uses? Then only a stones throw west across from the Lofts they could replace the Campus Bookstore and it's parking lot with a mixed-use. To top off that immediate area a 12-15 story condo/hotel would really give it a sense of the "big city" without losing the Dickson Street charm. Maybe build the condo/hotel tower behind the mixed-use where the muni-lot is and just have it sit on top of a 5-6 story muni-parking garage.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Supposedly part of the Campus Bookstore parking lot will be put to better use if and when The Dickson is built (6 story condo building). It will sit on the old Mr Tux building site. The last I heard the developers were waiting for school to get out so that they could use the parking lot more for equipment. Well, schools out now and I have not seen any action.

The 12-15 story condo hotel will probably not work since they only allow up to 6 stories in this area. The Depot project will take up most of the empty space around behind the depot and train bank. That biulding will step back up to 9 stories. Once again, if it ever gets built.

While I am personally against the whole height limit idea (but that is for another topic...and hey, it should help keep our local developers from getting TOO far in over their heads if nothing else), a good series of five and six story buildings within a block or two of Dickson on both sides would also be nice looking. Not exactly impressive in the skyline department, but it could be fairly ATTRACTIVE...

It would be short-sighted to build anything other than a larger performing arts theater on the current WAC parking lot. NWA needs a larger venue to attract the type shows that are in demand and one will be built eventually. If it is built away from Dickson Street the entertainment district will suffer badly. Parking won't be nearly the problem it is now because there won't be as great a need for it.

Walton Arts Center is what started the rebirth of Dickson Street and is still the "fuel" that keeps it going. If a larger venue is built elsewhere all the clubs and motorcycle rallies won't be able to replace the impact WAC has. The people expected to buy the high dollar condos won't find them nearly as attractive if the entertainment choices are limited to a big bike burnout or drunken fights at the local bar.

Hopefully the parking deck is the first step in a process to build a larger theater. By building a deck close by it will lessen the impact when the current lot is developed. A second deck on the north side of the district will be needed in time if that happens.

It would be short-sighted to build anything other than a larger performing arts theater on the current WAC parking lot. NWA needs a larger venue to attract the type shows that are in demand and one will be built eventually. If it is built away from Dickson Street the entertainment district will suffer badly. Parking won't be nearly the problem it is now because there won't be as great a need for it.

Walton Arts Center is what started the rebirth of Dickson Street and is still the "fuel" that keeps it going. If a larger venue is built elsewhere all the clubs and motorcycle rallies won't be able to replace the impact WAC has. The people expected to buy the high dollar condos won't find them nearly as attractive if the entertainment choices are limited to a big bike burnout or drunken fights at the local bar.

Hopefully the parking deck is the first step in a process to build a larger theater. By building a deck close by it will lessen the impact when the current lot is developed. A second deck on the north side of the district will be needed in time if that happens.

This would give the WAC a couple of very attractive options: expand the current location towards Dickson Street (north) or build an entirely new faciltiy on the existing WAC lot and integrate it with another parking structure here. At any rate, the idea is to move aggressively to construct ample parking to support a 3,000 seat WAC and entertainment district by 2010. Props to the city for not waiting until its too late to plan for whatever it takes to keep the WAC on Dickson. It is absolutely essential that the city keep the WAC in its current location.

• 1 month later...

Thought I'd post this here because it's near Dickson and I don't think we had a specific topic for this. Recently I heard they are taking one level of the parking deck near the Methodist Church. I believe they said because of costs involved with the project. I went by earlier today and took a few pics of the site. This should work out well with the St Charles Plaza development. It's almost just across the street.

parkingdeck01om0.jpg

parkingdeck02vc8.jpg

Yes, I read that they are going to remove one level now but build it so that they could add 2 more levels at a future time. I haven't heard if they will make it available to the general public for parking or not. It would certainly help during events like BBBQ if they did.

Yes, I read that they are going to remove one level now but build it so that they could add 2 more levels at a future time. I haven't heard if they will make it available to the general public for parking or not. It would certainly help during events like BBBQ if they did.

• 4 months later...

New Plan sounds good.

The plans have changed for a new parking deck on Dickson. They are now thinking about building a 300 space garage on the corner of Spring and West (just south of Grubbs). Then when that is complete they will begin construction on a much larger garage with hotel/residential/commercial space on the old Walton Center parking lot. This will still allow for construction of a much larger theater for the WAC on it's property. This could work out for everyone on Dickson and provide much needed hotel space.

more info from the Times: New Parking Deck/Hotel

New Plan sounds good.

The plans have changed for a new parking deck on Dickson. They are now thinking about building a 300 space garage on the corner of Spring and West (just south of Grubbs). Then when that is complete they will begin construction on a much larger garage with hotel/residential/commercial space on the old Walton Center parking lot. This will still allow for construction of a much larger theater for the WAC on it's property. This could work out for everyone on Dickson and provide much needed hotel space.

more info from the Times: New Parking Deck/Hotel

Sounds good. At least that 300 space deck wouldn't affect anyone too much. Then they could finally do something about the current WAC parking lot. I wonder how many levels that 300 space deck would be. One think I hadn't quite figured out is if they own all those houses on that block and if they'll all be coming down. If not and they're only using the space that current small lot, then I would think it would have to be at least several levels.

• 7 months later...

Not taking about the actual parking deck for the WAC, but it is near Dickson. Looks like the parking deck behind the post office on Dickson is coming along pretty well. I haven't seen any date on when it will be completed but from what I can see I'd expect it to be open before the end of the year. From what I could tell it looks like it's getting close to completion. But I was just driving by and didn't get a real good look. Guess I need to stop by sometime and take a better look, maybe take some pics as well.

Not taking about the actual parking deck for the WAC, but it is near Dickson. Looks like the parking deck behind the post office on Dickson is coming along pretty well. I haven't seen any date on when it will be completed but from what I can see I'd expect it to be open before the end of the year. From what I could tell it looks like it's getting close to completion. But I was just driving by and didn't get a real good look. Guess I need to stop by sometime and take a better look, maybe take some pics as well.

Yeah, that's the Methodist parking deck- I haven't heard if it will be available to the general public or not. It's a ways off from the hot spots on Dickson St. for it to help except during big events like BBBQ. They may want to keep it for the church only parking. When they get the landscaping in place I think it will be a great example of how a parking deck can be made into an attractive building. They've done a very good job with it.

Archived