Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TenPoundHammer

Detroit malls (long post)

10 posts in this topic

--Top or nearly-top malls--

Lakeside Mall, Sterling Heights - JCPenney/Sears/Lord & Taylor/Marshall Field's/Marshall Field's Home Store (former Crowley's)

Somerset Collection, Troy - Neiman-Marcus/Marshall Field's/Nordstrom/Saks Fifth Avenue (one of these used to be Bonwit Teller)

Macomb Mall, Roseville - Kohl's/Sears/Value City (former Crowley's)

Twelve Oaks Mall, Novi - JCPenney/Sears/Lord & Taylor/Marshall Field's/Nordstrom coming 2007

Laurel Park Place, Livonia - Parisian/Von Maur; a Marriott is hooked into the mall

Westland Center, Westland - JCPenney/Sears/Marshall Field's/Kohl's

Southland Center, Taylor - JCPenney/Marshall Field's/former Mervyn's/Best Buy coming this year, replacing food court (yes, they're ripping out the food court)

--Second tier malls--

Fairlane Town Center, Dearborn - JCPenney/Sears/Marshall Field's/Lord & Taylor/Off Fifth (takes up part of old Saks)/Steve & Barry's/DSW Shoe Warehouse/Bally Total Fitness; mall seems to be a mix of healthy and dead spots. when I was here a couple years ago, it felt like there were millions of teens milling around

Westborn Mall, Dearborn - Kroger/Marshalls/Staples (former Kresge); ancient 1950's era enclosed strip mall (hallway with stores on one side, glass on the other), gets decent traffic for what it is

Frenchtown Square, Monroe - Target (former Hills)/Steve & Barry's (former JCPenney)/Sears/Elder-Beerman/Elder-Beerman Home Store (former Office Max); weak food court but otherwise fine

Oakland Mall, Troy - JCPenney/Sears/Marshall Field's/Borders/Steve & Barry's; has a tiny food court and a smattering of restaurants elsewhere

--Decent traffic, though lacking in good stores--

Universal Mall, Warren - Value City(former Federals, later Crowley's)/Burlington Coat Factory (former Woolworth)/AJ Wright (former Ben Franklin)/former Mervyn's; former Ward's is being rebuilt. Has the tiniest food court I've ever seen.

Livonia Mall, Livonia - Value City (former Crowley's)/Sears (biggest mall based Sears, I think)/former Mervyn's/Paintball palace (former Kresge?); has mostly flea market type stores, and oddly, an FYE (I say oddly, because Laurel Park doesn't have a CD Store)

Northland Center, Southfield - Marshall Field's/Target/National Wholesale Liquidators (former Wards)/former TJ Maxx/former JCPenney/former Kohl's - almost all athletic stores now

Eastland Center, Harper Woods - Marshall Field's/Sears (former JCPenney)/Steve & Barry's (former Wards)/Target (former Kohl's); huge old food court and theaters ripped out a while back - what replaced them? nothing! new food court is only five restaurants

Orchard Mall, West Bloomfield - Hiller's Market and a pharmacy. Has a small indoor section which is being redone.

--Whatever--

Grand River Place/New Center One

Ren Cen

--Dying--

Summit Place, Waterford - JCPenney/Sears/Marshall Field's/Kohl's/former Wards/former Service Merchandise/former Woolworth/former Kresge - Sears may be pulling out. Mall was less than 50% full when I visited a year ago; only healthy spot was between ex-Wards and JCPenney. Owners had big plans to turn old Wards into a waterpark; plans fell through

--Dead/redeveloped--

Meadowbrook Village Mall - was anchored by either Michael's, Frank's, or both; now a lifestyle center called Village Of Rochester Hills (which has a Farmer Jack and Parisian)

Great Oaks Mall - had a Jacobson's - was demo'd with plans for Art Van, which apparently never came

Winchester Mall - had Kmart and Marshalls when it was enclosed; now a strip mall with Kmart, Marshalls, and many other big stores

Crosswinds Mall - tiny mall near Orchards Mall in West Bloomfield; I'm not sure if Crosswinds was ever enclosed or not

Hoover-Eleven - Kroger/TJMaxx/Marshalls/Office Max - most of enclosed section is now Office Max and Marshalls; part seems to exist still

Tel-12 Mall - had Kmart/Crowley's/Wards/Circuit City; Circuit City still exists. Had the misfortune of three anchors going bankrupt in rapid succession. Now mostly a Lowe's and other big boxes. Demo'd around 2001.

Trappers Alley - You know.

Wonderland Mall - Target/former Folands (later Service Merchandise)/former Wards/former Office Max/former Mazel's/former Woolworth (later FYE); mall closed up two years ago, and was planned to be turned into a strip mall, but apparently the city of Livonia keeps bleeping around with Wally World about something

Regional Shopping Center, Mt. Clemens - Can someone please tell me anything about this?

--Dead, ill-conceieved lifestyle center--

Fountain Walk - Dick's/Great Outdoors/etc. - like I said, dead and ill conceived lifestyle center.

Winchester had a Folands, which was closed in the early 90's

At Somerset, Bonwit teller was torn down when they went bankrupt, Niemen Marcus was added when the second floor was added. Saks was expanded after North opened.

Also....you forgot Great Lakes Crossing....Briarwood also

Winchester had a Folands, which was closed in the early 90's

At Somerset, Bonwit teller was torn down when they went bankrupt, Niemen Marcus was added when the second floor was added. Saks was expanded after North opened.

Also....you forgot Great Lakes Crossing....Briarwood also

Geeze, how could I have forgotten GL Xing? Briarwood was covered in the A2 forum.

For the record, Great Lakes Crossing has Sports Authority, Marshalls, Burlington Coat Factory, Neiman-Marcus Last Call, TJ Maxx, Off Fifth, Bed Bath & Beyond, Bass Pro Shops, and Circuit City (occupies half of a former JCPenney Outlet). Also has a lot of vacancies for a mall its size, and not that strong a food court.

Tel-12 Mall - had Kmart/Crowley's/Wards/Circuit City; Circuit City still exists. Had the misfortune of three anchors going bankrupt in rapid succession. Now mostly a Lowe's and other big boxes. Demo'd around 2001.

--Dead, ill-conceieved lifestyle center--

Fountain Walk - Dick's/Great Outdoors/etc. - like I said, dead and ill conceived lifestyle center.

Circuit City doesnt exist anymore, that space is for lease. It was redeveloped, however, with a Meijer and a large number of parking lost oasis buildings with Cosi, awesome middle eastern place (Shish Kabob), Baja Fresh, Footlocker, T Mobile, etc

Fountain walk is pretty populated by novi/farmington/bloomfield kids on the weekends. Its got a pretty good hookah bar

Circuit City doesnt exist anymore, that space is for lease. It was redeveloped, however, with a Meijer and a large number of parking lost oasis buildings with Cosi, awesome middle eastern place (Shish Kabob), Baja Fresh, Footlocker, T Mobile, etc

Circuit City was at Tel-12 before the mall was torn down. If I recall correctly, the store "straddled" the mall concourse - the hallway actually ran right through the middle of the store!

Meijer is on the site of the old Kmart Stupidcenter, Lowe's on the site of the mall itself, and the old Montgy Wards is now Michael's and a dead Media Play. Foot Locker, radio Shack, T-Mobile, Shish Kebab place were all in the old mall, and got booted to the parking lot during the demo.

MJRO? Tenpoundhammer have you gone asian on me? :rofl:

It sure rooks rike it. :rofl: Geez, now I sound like Scooby-Doo...

For the record, Great Lakes Crossing has Sports Authority, Marshalls, Burlington Coat Factory, Neiman-Marcus Last Call, TJ Maxx, Off Fifth, Bed Bath & Beyond, Bass Pro Shops, and Circuit City (occupies half of a former JCPenney Outlet). Also has a lot of vacancies for a mall its size, and not that strong a food court.

It is also a major reason why Summit Place is now how it is

It is also a major reason why Summit Place is now how it is

Indeed. Not to mention that Summit Place has the WORST layout I've ever seen... it's like Frankenstein's mall.

Circuit City was at Tel-12 before the mall was torn down. If I recall correctly, the store "straddled" the mall concourse - the hallway actually ran right through the middle of the store!

Meijer is on the site of the old Kmart Stupidcenter, Lowe's on the site of the mall itself, and the old Montgy Wards is now Michael's and a dead Media Play. Foot Locker, radio Shack, T-Mobile, Shish Kebab place were all in the old mall, and got booted to the parking lot during the demo.

The only part of Circuit City that was split up was the car audio part with the installation bays, which was on the backside of the mall so cars could pull in. It was a very small store front section.

Media Play is not only dead, it has been demoed. Along with part of the brand new building that was built to the left of it which included a Brookes Brothers and another store. I think they might be demolishing the building that had kennys ribs and chicken and island chicken as well as quiznos in it. KR chicken and the other place moved out already, I think quiznos is still in there for now. But they are going to build something huge that needed more space, resulting in the demolition of buildings that were only a year or two old.

There is also an office depot, DSW, a new Michaels and a Pier One at tel 12. It has come quite the successfull "strip" mall. If you can call it that. The island locations also includes baja fresh and all the stores and restaurants seem to be getting good business.