Hold on to your hats..... Good News

doormanpoet

I spoke with a "contact" of mine, and it's not William!, and he said Hyatt Hotels has made an offer for the Monroe Carell property on third avenue next to the Schermerhorn. That is right, you read it right. If Sobro height variances are granted, we are looking at a hotel in the 40 to 60 story range! THE CONVENTION CENTER IS THE KEY. He also said that Westin is DEFINATE and will also build a 40-60 story hotel.

Per the article in the Sunday Tennessean, a company that specializes in making old historic properties into boutique hotels is looking in Downtown Nashville. My bold prediction is they buy the James Robertson Apartments by the end of the year. The owner in Franklin will sell and I am estimating for a price of $5,000,000.

Per William, the MTA bus station hub is a go with the ground breaking in May 2006 with a completion date of August 2007. It will be 9 stories with apartments and retail.

The Renaissance Hotel new owners are looking at buying the Nashville Convention Center and building a tower on the top of it, ONLY IF MAYOR "DO NOTHING" PURCELL GETS THE BALL ROLLING ON THE NEW CONVENTION CENTER.

I am still hearing from hotel people in Nashville that The Intercontinental deal has been inked for the West End Summit project and the hold up is the financing, of course that holds everything up.

Ron told me he hears Signature is now up to 70 stories! Ron , please give details! Thanks!

I hear from hotel guests that major players are interested in Nashville for various porjects. I will keep you posted.

As always, John the Doorman Poet and the Doorman Bowler!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also wanted to mention. This same person said because Maryland Farms and Cool Springs are almost built out, companies will move back downtown for an additional high rise office tower. He mentioned that people thought back in the 70's and 80's locations near the airport made sense for less travel time and convienence. The traffic was so bad, it made things worse. He said Metro Center was a failure because a lack of amenities, and high crime kept people out. That was a suburban office park that failed.

He said that downtowns all over the country are hot right now because the infrastructure is already there. I agree with him. Why locate out in the suburbs where you have to build more roads, add sewer lines and phone lines. The convention center he said would bring more office towers too.

Do nothing Purcell is going to have so much pressure on him for the new convention center that he may just crack and break. The negative letters in the paper are from people with no vision or no knowledge of business.

Nashville is not a sleep border town or a slow river town anymore.

Thanks DP for the update. Kind of intersting that Westin is the hotel I've heard rumored for the mixed use twins in the gulch between Broad and Church. I mentioned this one in the thread about Signature going to 70 stories. The source is very credible. I'll guess we'll hear something on this sooner or later.

It's my sense that several developers (in addition to Alex Palmer) are looking for corporate anchors for office components to help these deals go forward.

Great news DP Thanks for the update.

So in the works I have heard of the following hotels

WES-Intercontinental

1- Signature Tower-'W' (I heard this today that is where the exta 10 levels originate - not sure)

2 - SoBro-Hyatt

3 - Gulch-Westin

4 - ???-Twelve

A lot of action.

Per the article in the Sunday Tennessean, a company that specializes in making old historic properties into boutique hotels is looking in Downtown Nashville. My bold prediction is they buy the James Robertson Apartments by the end of the year. The owner in Franklin will sell and I am estimating for a price of $5,000,000.

So this would mean that the JRA gets saved and converted ? To me, I think that is just as important in keeping this long-neglected gem as a new hotel highrise.

Now I know my head is going to explode! Thanks doorman. I hope you're right about Purcell feeling the heat. If there is this much interest from the hotel sector, it's really going to make his inflated CC price tag sound even sillier than it already does.

Keep those "rumors" coming dp!

Good Lord, I thought Nashville's hotel market was already oversaturated! Apparently not! Where is this demand for hotel rooms coming from exactly?

People who want to stay downtown I guess...because I know we have plenty of suburban hotels, motels, and suites. I can see the need for 1 or 2 more downtown, but I would never have imagined them being that big.

Per William, the MTA bus station hub is a go with the ground breaking in May 2006 with a completion date of August 2007. It will be 9 stories with apartments and retail.

Here is the link (with photos) of the MTA hub:

MTA hub

Looks like it might be a little shy of 9 stories, but I could be wrong. I wonder if that counts sub levels?

I thought so too, but I found the rendering with the residential. It becomes more interesting at that point. The MMC is a city venture and the residential will be private...thus the absence of the complete rendering. We'll just call it princess sans tiara. She's just a girl otherwise.

This will be a good development I think. Hopefully, utility will be important as well as aesthetics. It looks, from the render, to be senstive to the state buildings surrounding it. Hope it's not plastic.

I am still hearing from hotel people in Nashville that The Intercontinental deal has been inked for the West End Summit project and the hold up is the financing, of course that holds everything up.

It's definately a go. Intercon was in our office today discussing our design plans. The hotel/condo tower is full steam ahead and they just presented our design boards this week to try to get a major office tenant for the second tower.

Here is a preview of the design

2DSC06135.jpg

Archived