Hold on to your hats..... Good News

doormanpoet

The BS building is a very tall 33 stories b/c it has the spires and that huge atrium on top with lots of wasted space. I've wondered if they still have to keep that space cooled/heated all the time. Never a fan of the building, I now have a small but growing respect for the BS building.

From that angle, the Bell South still looks quite prominent, and due to it's unique design would still be one of the most defining skyscrapers in the skyline. Thanks PH of KS for photoshopping the skyline. It sure does make you think about all the future possibilities!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From that angle, the Bell South still looks quite prominent, and due to it's unique design would still be one of the most defining skyscrapers in the skyline. Thanks PH of KS for photoshopping the skyline. It sure does make you think about all the future possibilities!

Just having a little fun. As I said before, it's just one man's guess.

Regarding the sizes of the proposed buildings, they are scaled off against the BellSouth Bdg. Although the Bell South Tower is 'only' 33 storeys, it is 617' tall to the tip of its two 90' spires. So it does stand taller than the number of floors would indicate. Hotels range from 10' to 12' from floor to floor, so a 50 story hotel could be anywhere from 500' to 600'. Thus a 50 story hotel may be shorter than the 33 storey Bell South.

I'm no pro or anything guys, so take my words with a grain of salt, but I just can't see how it is anywhere close to feasible that 2,000+ hotel rooms will be added to the Nashville market in 2 new hotels. I know much of the current stock is outdated, but a 65% occupancy rate is a 65% occupancy rate. That isn't bad by any means...but 2,000, hell, even 1,000 new hotel rooms seems like a complete stretch to me. Hopefully i'm wrong.

I'm no pro or anything guys, so take my words with a grain of salt, but I just can't see how it is anywhere close to feasible that 2,000+ hotel rooms will be added to the Nashville market in 2 new hotels. I know much of the current stock is outdated, but a 65% occupancy rate is a 65% occupancy rate. That isn't bad by any means...but 2,000, hell, even 1,000 new hotel rooms seems like a complete stretch to me. Hopefully i'm wrong.

None of those 2,000 rooms will be added unless the new convention center is built. The assumption is that the Nashviile market will easily absorb another 2,000 rooms because of the huge number of convention goers that the new facilty would attract. The new convention center could probably support conventions with 10,000 participants. Based on that, I think 2,000 more rooms could be absorbed.

I would bet the occupancy rate for the downtown hotels is higher than 65%. I know the Renaissance numbers are a lot higher than that. You have a lot of older run down hotels in the burbs and a lot of hotels at the airport that are added into those numbers.

Nah, it's at about 65% downtown -- which, FYI, is above the national average.

I don't think 2,000 new rooms could be absorbed by Nashville even with the new convention center expansion -- that's A LOT of hotel rooms. Figure in other projects such as the Hampton Inn & Suites, Intercontinental, and Homewood Suites and we've got an instant glut on our hands. I don't want to see that happen.

Nah, it's at about 65% downtown -- which, FYI, is above the national average.

I don't think 2,000 new rooms could be absorbed by Nashville even with the new convention center expansion -- that's A LOT of hotel rooms. Figure in other projects such as the Hampton Inn & Suites, Intercontinental, and Homewood Suites and we've got an instant glut on our hands. I don't want to see that happen.

Welcome to the Forum! I used to live in Antioch myself before leaving for Chattanooga, the October Woods subdivision off of Old Hickory Blvd and I-24. The expansion planned for the Convention Center is huge. It will be more than 3 times bigger than before. I'm no expert on Hotel rooms, but it seem reasonable to me that a very large increase could be supported. I really couldn't say with any authority what that number would be. Maybe Doormanpoet could shed some light on this.

Thanks for the welcome! The only reason I commented on this is because I'm in hotel management myself :)

I work for the company that owns Westin and so far I've heard nothing about a new hotel in the city. Would it be a franchised property?

Archived