BJCC Expansion plans

Blazer85

Movers behind Beale Street see successful model at BJCC

I am hoping and praying this is successful and doesn't wind up like the Performa project in Shreveport. Hopefully, our district will be a hybrid model of both Beale Street and what Cordish Company's Fourth Street Live! in Louisville.

What was wrong with the Performa project in Shreveport?

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Company's record causes Performa anxiety

Link to Kathy Time's story from NBC13

John Archibald's latest column on Performa's track record is very concerning as well as a similar story done by Kathy Times from NBC13. How the management deal in Jackson (Mississippi) has been considered a "huge boondoggle" and the details of the Shreveport deal. In addition there are projects that are pending in Trenton (NJ), where it has been 5 years in the making.

I hope Performa isn't going to faulter with this project. This could be the bigger setback for the whole downtown area more than the lack of progress with the expansion of the BJCC.

Has there been any additional reaction to the opinion pieces done last week on the Performa project?

Beyond the questions about the developer, I drove through the site a couple of weeks ago, and honestly it does not seem like a very ideal place to put it. It is bounded by the convention center and the elevated highways. Perhaps it is convenient and cheap; however, it has no connection to other potentially viable parts of downtown and it will be a destination unto itself, not supporting other surrounding businesses.

I would much prefer to see something like this closer to the Alabama Theater or Civil Rights Museum. Conventioneers can walk more than two blocks for their drinks... :alc:

Plus, I think locals would be more likely to go there as well.

Once again Bettye Fine Collins is playing her usual mind games and reneging on support of the BJCC expansion. Her claim for reneging is IF the Jeffco occupation tax is repealed by the Legislature. To add more insult, Jim Carns is saying he is against it all after remaining neutral up until now.

Minds changing on deal for arena

It sounds like once again The Three Stooges are playing their partisan politics over this thing all over again. Langford is right, those clowns are jokes and play entirely too much with the voters of Jeffco on progress involving this project.

I hope those 3 idiots know that people are going vote their sorry asses out of office come 2010. They have completely played themselves out and they better believe there will be hell to pay for it too. Birmingham is wasting too much time on this mess involving the Jeffco Commission.

Once again Bettye Fine Collins is playing her usual mind games and reneging on support of the BJCC expansion. Her claim for reneging is IF the Jeffco occupation tax is repealed by the Legislature. To add more insult, Jim Carns is saying he is against it all after remaining neutral up until now.

Minds changing on deal for arena

It sounds like once again The Three Stooges are playing their partisan politics over this thing all over again. Langford is right, those clowns are jokes and play entirely too much with the voters of Jeffco on progress involving this project.

I hope those 3 idiots know that people are going vote their sorry asses out of office come 2010. They have completely played themselves out and they better believe there will be hell to pay for it too. Birmingham is wasting too much time on this mess involving the Jeffco Commission.

I believe there are powerful persons in this city and county that are determined for the city of Birmingham to fail. Why? Just look at the racial make-up of the county commission and the city commission. I believe that racism is alive and well and these people want to bring the city of Birmingham to its knees.

When has Jeffco ever been as uncooperative with issues that involve Hoover, Homewood or Vestavia Hills? I believe if the City of Hoover could muster up the same level of financial support for a dome the Jeffco commission would approach it with an totally different attitude. What is really sad is the city government and the mayor are clueless.

I for one am sick of this nonsense. Something needs to be done and I wish the people of Jeffco and Birmingham would wise up and come together for the good of the entire area.

I believe there are powerful persons in this city and county that are determined for the city of Birmingham to fail. Why? Just look at the racial make-up of the county commission and the city commission. I believe that racism is alive and well and these people want to bring the city of Birmingham to its knees.

When has Jeffco ever been as uncooperative with issues that involve Hoover, Homewood or Vestavia Hills? I believe if the City of Hoover could muster up the same level of financial support for a dome the Jeffco commission would approach it with an totally different attitude. What is really sad is the city government and the mayor are clueless.

I for one am sick of this nonsense. Something needs to be done and I wish the people of Jeffco and Birmingham would wise up and come together for the good of the entire area.

That's a given from jump. Just look at the track records for Collins, Humphryes, and Carns and you can tell subtle racial bias is written all over it especially Collins. Their mentalities epitomize what is still wrong with Alabama and a majority of this country. Smoot and Langford haven't ever tried to bait folks over issues the way those 3 stooges.

People are starting to see this, and when the next election time comes around I doubt anybody is going to stupid enough to reelect those 3 clowns again.

In the end, I think what happened in the 1970's and 1980's when the City of Birmingham took hold of the reigns of progress and expansion of the BJCC itself will occur again. In other words, Birmingham will likely fund the expansion by themselves and afterwards the County will try to follow and claim responsibility for it getting done. I think this will very likely happen if Langford winds up as mayor of Birmingham.

The battle has began: Five Points South and Lakeview restauranteurs and club owners are crying foul over Entertainment District @ The BJCC.

Apprehension in Southside

I kinda knew this was coming, but what those on the Southside fail to realize is that it is 2 miles distance from The BJCC. Some out-of-town conventioneers don't know the area like that and won't venture to the Southside from fear of getting lost or unfamiliarity of surroundings. Also the hotels are still coming to the BJCC regardless of the expansion.

The battle has began: Five Points South and Lakeview restauranteurs and club owners are crying foul over Entertainment District @ The BJCC.

Apprehension in Southside

I kinda knew this was coming, but what those on the Southside fail to realize is that it is 2 miles distance from The BJCC. Some out-of-town conventioneers don't know the area like that and won't venture to the Southside from fear of getting lost or unfamiliarity of surroundings. Also the hotels are still coming to the BJCC regardless of the expansion.

I'm done feeling sorry for Southside businesses. The minute a Schaeffer Eye Center went in at the curve, I lost faith that 5 Pts would ever be a true entertainment district again. I'm pretty sure had the owners of various bars and restaurants come to the city and offered to create a district of local places down by the BJCC, the city would have bent over backwards for them. BUT, they didn't -- and I think what's happening is just fair. You can't just sit back for 10 years and do nothing while other cities are progressing.

Hopefully 5 Points and Lakeview WILL kick it in gear after this. I want the BJCC Entertainment District, but this certainly won't hurt in the long run. If 5 Points and Lakeview want to continue to draw folks, they better step it up and liven up their respective districts. But, I'm not terribly concerned about either of them surviving. Both will. Both have very loyal patrons. Both have significant #s of residents living nearby that will need places to dine and hang out. A little competition never hurt anyone that much. Might make everyone strive for something better.

But, I'm not terribly concerned about either of them surviving. Both will. Both have very loyal patrons. Both have significant #s of residents living nearby that will need places to dine and hang out. A little competition never hurt anyone that much. Might make everyone strive for something better.

gonna second this. i lived in the lakeview / southside area for a couple of years. been out of the state for the past four months until this past friday night, when i passed through tuscaloosa and then bham on my way home. never before have i seen police close the five points section of 20th street unless there was a specific event (new year's eve) going on. a portion of 19th was also closed - there was that much pedestrian traffic. it seemed exactly the opposite of a dying district - despite any businesses' fears to the contrary.

The BJCC Board of Directors unanimously approved today the construction of the $55-million entertainment district. It is a 99-year deal with Performa in which they will build and manage the district.

-5% of the gross income from the district will go to the BJCC

-50% of the net income after expenses related to debt will also go to the BJCC

Construction is expected to possibly begin this fall.

The BJCC Board of Directors unanimously approved today the construction of the $55-million entertainment district. It is a 99-year deal with Performa in which they will build and manage the district.

-5% of the gross income from the district will go to the BJCC

-50% of the net income after expenses related to debt will also go to the BJCC

Construction is expected to possibly begin this fall.

That sounds pretty good. Let's just hope everything goes smoothly.

That sounds pretty good. Let's just hope everything goes smoothly.

I'm not terribly worried. I think Performa is committed to this project b/c they see alot of money-making potential in this property. With the adjacent BJCC already drawing 2.5 million visitors annually, that's already a HUGE potential market right there within their reach. Even conservative estimates put the district at drawing 4 million visitors a year once operational... the more radical estimates put it closer to 6 or 7 million a year. Personally, I'd be ecstatic if it draws even the conservatively forecast 4 million.

Best of all, no public money will be involved in this project. Yet the BJCC will benefit financially. And, as I've said all along, I think it's a great move to make right now. The BJCC and Birmingham together can't financially afford a large expansion by themselves right now. But if this entertainment venue brings in the kind of revenue anticipated, it provides the BJCC with a LOT more capital to move forward with other expansion plans with the city of Birmingham (even if the county commission opts not to assist them).

I'm not terribly worried. I think Performa is committed to this project b/c they see alot of money-making potential in this property. With the adjacent BJCC already drawing 2.5 million visitors annually, that's already a HUGE potential market right there within their reach. Even conservative estimates put the district at drawing 4 million visitors a year once operational... the more radical estimates put it closer to 6 or 7 million a year. Personally, I'd be ecstatic if it draws even the conservatively forecast 4 million.

Best of all, no public money will be involved in this project. Yet the BJCC will benefit financially. And, as I've said all along, I think it's a great move to make right now. The BJCC and Birmingham together can't financially afford a large expansion by themselves right now. But if this entertainment venue brings in the kind of revenue anticipated, it provides the BJCC with a LOT more capital to move forward with other expansion plans with the city of Birmingham (even if the county commission opts not to assist them).

Exactly. That is why I envision the City of Birmingham doing as it did with the first 2 expansions of the BJCC both in 1980's, in which the city went on its own.

I am so glad to see such major developments occur involving this part of the City Center. Hopefully we will see a major retail aspect like downtown shopping district (reminscent of the AmSouth-Harbert Promenade in its heyday), but much larger.

Well... I'm a little disappointed, but not terribly. Apparently, the contract with Performa requires only a $25-million entertainment district to be built initially. Depending on tenant interest and other things, that value may be increased. It might still be okay at $25-million. And in fact, the initial proposed entertainment a LONG time back was only to be about $20-million. I hope they do opt for a value greater than $25-million, but I'll take it either way because, in the long run, this is likely to spur more growth in that area and more interest by other investors/developers.

Well... I'm a little disappointed, but not terribly. Apparently, the contract with Performa requires only a $25-million entertainment district to be built initially. Depending on tenant interest and other things, that value may be increased. It might still be okay at $25-million. And in fact, the initial proposed entertainment a LONG time back was only to be about $20-million. I hope they do opt for a value greater than $25-million, but I'll take it either way because, in the long run, this is likely to spur more growth in that area and more interest by other investors/developers.

exactly, if they can just start moving dirt it will be a strong signal to other developers that it's going to happen.

• 3 weeks later...

Just found this in another forum.

We know of Huntsville's & Montgomery's expansions, but here's Shreveport-Bossier City's entry. Shows that we as a community need to stay on top of this.

Shreveport Convention Center & Parking Garage

conventioncenter.jpg

Located in the heart of the downtown commercial district, the Shreveport Convention Center (SCC) has been designed as a multi-purpose facility poised to accommodate a variety of events including, but not limited to: exhibits, trade shows, consumer shows, banquets, receptions, conventions and meetings. The 350,000 square foot facility will provide state of the art meeting facilities for medium sized regional and national conventions & will soon become the largest public building in the City of Shreveport. The primary functional spaces include: One Exhibition Hall with a total of approximately 100,000 square feet, One Ballroom with a total of approximately 18,000 square feet, and Ten Meeting Rooms each with a total of approximately 1,500 plus square feet.

This post has been edited by NCB: Nov 18 2005, 06:35 PM

• 4 weeks later...

The proposed 40,000-seat arena idea has been tabled for about a year (maybe actually best since I'm not convinced it's the best solution for the issue). The entertainment district proposal will move forward as planned, however.

Meanwhile, Rep. John Rogers has said that he will move forward with HIS plans for a domed stadium. He maintains that he has lined up about $650-million in private dollars. Rogers says he will show potential investors 3 different sites around Birmingham about two weeks from now: 1) near Fair Park, 2) near the Birmingham International Raceway, and 3) near the former Daniel Payne College in the Hooper City neighborhood.

I don't give Roger's plan too much of a chance, but he's been preaching about having the money lined up for some time. And I say... show me the money, Rep. Rogers.