BJCC Expansion plans

Blazer85

The proposed 40,000-seat arena idea has been tabled for about a year (maybe actually best since I'm not convinced it's the best solution for the issue). The entertainment district proposal will move forward as planned, however.

Meanwhile, Rep. John Rogers has said that he will move forward with HIS plans for a domed stadium. He maintains that he has lined up about $650-million in private dollars. Rogers says he will show potential investors 3 different sites around Birmingham about two weeks from now: 1) near Fair Park, 2) near the Birmingham International Raceway, and 3) near the former Daniel Payne College in the Hooper City neighborhood.

I don't give Roger's plan too much of a chance, but he's been preaching about having the money lined up for some time. And I say... show me the money, Rep. Rogers.

I'm hoping that by the end of this waiting time, about the occupational tax deal, maybe they will have figured out exactly what the city needs. I say convention space first, Alabama's not going to be getting an NFL team anytime soon, if at all. If they get anything, it'll be an NBA team, in which case, they'll be content to wait for the arena.

But, conventions are something that's a sure thing, if a city has space.

Convention space, then arena (or stadium), then more convention space. Alabama's lagging way behind.

About Roger's plan. I say, if he has the money, do it. It'll be a great asset to the city. At this point in time, I just want to see SOMETHING.

EDITED for discussion about Rogers.

Edited by Alabadrock

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I went to a Alabama Steeldogs game friday night.. I really wanted to go because they were playing my hometown the Bossier Shreveport Battlewings... I thought the BJCC was super nice... parking seemed a little confusing.. especially to a new guy in town like me.. we kept accidently getting on the interstate lol but we figured it out... parked over near the FBI building.. one thing I noticed was the crowd was really small... I wonder how they could get a little more support?! I had to root for my hometeam the battlewings who were victorious..

anyways I'm enjoying BHAM so far.. will be tons better when my wife gets here :(

I agree on the convention hall idea. Look at the Georgia World Congress Center in Atlanta, those convention halls have been there since 1976. They just had convention space until 1992 when they built the Georgia Dome and have since added another convention hall. If the BJCC can consistently hold successful conventions, then maybe the county and city will think the BJCC deserves an arena or dome. Also, since the Social Security Administration building will be vacant, the BJCC could buy it and turn it into a convention hall with a hotel in the upper floors of the tower, Anybody think of other expansion ideas BESIDES A DOME OR ARENA?

This was my suggestion that I emailed to Larry Langford. Perhaps it made too much sense for Birmingham/JeffCo leaders to consider.

What is wrong with scrapping the current arena and building a state of the art 20-25,000 seat arena? This would be comparable in size to Philips Arena in Atlanta (21,000 seats),FedEx Forum in Memphis, the RBC Center in Raleigh (20,000 seats) and the Gaylord Entertainment Center in Nashville (20,000 seats). All of these venues serve as a home to either an NBA, NHL or Arena One Football Team. An arena this size would be large enough to host SEC or C-USA Tournaments,major conventions and concerts. In my opinion, there's little advantage to building a 40,000 seat arena as opposed to an arena this size (hence: this is why it hasn't been done anywhere else in the country). Surely this would knock a significant amount of money off the price of construction and it would provide the city with a first class state of the art venue, that it desperately needs. The city could also take the money they saved on the arena and invest into upgrading Legion Field.

This was my suggestion that I emailed to Larry Langford. Perhaps it made too much sense for Birmingham/JeffCo leaders to consider.

What is wrong with scrapping the current arena and building a state of the art 20-25,000 seat arena? This would be comparable in size to Philips Arena in Atlanta (21,000 seats),FedEx Forum in Memphis, the RBC Center in Raleigh (20,000 seats) and the Gaylord Entertainment Center in Nashville (20,000 seats). All of these venues serve as a home to either an NBA, NHL or Arena One Football Team. An arena this size would be large enough to host SEC or C-USA Tournaments,major conventions and concerts. In my opinion, there's little advantage to building a 40,000 seat arena as opposed to an arena this size (hence: this is why it hasn't been done anywhere else in the country). Surely this would knock a significant amount of money off the price of construction and it would provide the city with a first class state of the art venue, that it desperately needs. The city could also take the money they saved on the arena and invest into upgrading Legion Field.

I e-mailed something very similar to this to him back in March. He said he would consider this, but they only thing I seem to notice that I did notice he used is my idea to tie in the renovation of Legion Field along with this BJCC expansion.

Sure, a new 20,000 seat arena or even a nice upgrade to the current BJCC Arena. Add some luxury suites and a new facade, I'd be great. Then we could invest the dome money in a new convention hall next to the entertainment district.

I think that the city needs a new arena, and then a new stadium, domed or not. I just don't like the idea of the stadium/arena.

Like I said, more convention space, that's the main problem. Most cities Birmingham's size don't have a domed stadium, but, they DO have large arenas. Some even have NBA teams. Birmingham could support all of this, but, the city needs to start at somewhere that they already know that they can excell at. Conventions will always be there.

I think that the city needs a new arena, and then a new stadium, domed or not. I just don't like the idea of the stadium/arena.

Like I said, more convention space, that's the main problem. Most cities Birmingham's size don't have a domed stadium, but, they DO have large arenas. Some even have NBA teams. Birmingham could support all of this, but, the city needs to start at somewhere that they already know that they can excell at. Conventions will always be there.

I saw nothing wrong with the arena I was quite impressed with the one that is there... if they cant even fill that one why build a brand new huge one??? how many seats does the exsisting arena have? it probably was about 10% full on a friday nightop!

I saw nothing wrong with the arena I was quite impressed with the one that is there... if they cant even fill that one why build a brand new huge one??? how many seats does the exsisting arena have? it probably was about 10% full on a friday nightop!

There are numerous events that are held throughout the year where the arena is filled.

On the Steeldogs:

However, the Alabama Steeldogs aren't one of those events that draw much attendees. Alabama Steeldogs aren't effectively promoted here also. IMO, I don't know why the Arena Football League placed an af2 franchise here anyways because this area would have done so much better with an actual AFL franchise. Although cities such as Louisville, Oklahoma City, and Cincinnati have af2 franchises also, the league just doesn't draw the same attention as the AFL. IMO, people would much more interested if they were in the actual AFL competing against Georgia, New Orleans, Nashville, and Orlando franchises. This would get give the area national exposure via NBC and ESPN. The af2 just doesn't offer that.

• 2 weeks later...

Investors tour sites eyed for dome, entertainment district and hotels

Posted by Birmingham News Staff June 25, 2007 12:30 PM

A team of investors invited by Birmingham consultant Carol Forge Hatcher today toured five sites in the city being considered for a $1 billion development that would include a domed stadium, entertainment district and hotels.

State Rep. John Rogers, D-Birmingham, organized the tours and said he has been in talks with the group for months since funding has stalled on a plan to build a 40,000-seat arena adjacent to the Birmingham-Jefferson Convention Complex.

Rogers is to gather at a 12:30 p.m. luncheon today at the Embassy Suites in Homewood with the investors to hear more details. A press conference providing additional information is slated for 3 p.m. at the hotel, Hatcher said in a press release.

"ForgeCo. investors are still very much interested in the Birmingham project which includes the entertainment district, hotel(s) and the multi-purpose facility (dome)," Hatcher said in the release.

Hatcher gained attention in March when she went before the Birmingham City Council, saying she had gathered a group of investors willing to put up $1 billion in private money to build a dome, hotel and entertainment district at the BJCC. She withdrew her proposal after the BJCC and council pressed for information on who would finance the project.

Hatcher said an "exploratory team" arrived in Birmingham Sunday night for the tours. Rogers said it met with property owners and got details on the sites being considered this morning. The sites are Legion Field; Birmingham Fair Grounds, including Fair Park Arena; land adjacent to Birmingham Race Course on John Rogers Drive in eastern Birmingham; USX property in Ensley; and land just off Daniel Payne Drive in western Birmingham.

"The BJCC property hasn't been taken off the table, but right now they have too many problems in doing that proposal due to holdups in funding from Jefferson County," Rogers said.

He said the group wants to do a dome, three hotels and entertainment district even though the developer of Beale Street in Memphis has signed a contract to do an entertainment district adjacent to the BJCC and a proposed 40,000-seat arena planned near the complex.

"Forty thousand seats is too small. This group is willing to put $1 billion to $1.5 billion in private money to do this project," Rogers said.

• 4 weeks later...

HKW Associates shared updated plans with the BJCC Board this afternoon. Two 130-150 room hotels were shown, including one "Aloft" hotel at 24th Street and another hotel adjacent to the SEC HQ on 22nd Street.

Cato Walker, Senior VP of Performa told the Board he had signed agreements with several restaurant, club and retail operators and is close to inking a deal with Ruben Studdard for a nightclub. Performa hopes to break ground on the project in October.

(I have not seen the renderings, this is from the Birmingham News breaking news section)

HKW Associates shared updated plans with the BJCC Board this afternoon. Two 130-150 room hotels were shown, including one "Aloft" hotel at 24th Street and another hotel adjacent to the SEC HQ on 22nd Street.

Cato Walker, Senior VP of Performa told the Board he had signed agreements with several restaurant, club and retail operators and is close to inking a deal with Ruben Studdard for a nightclub. Performa hopes to break ground on the project in October.

(I have not seen the renderings, this is from the Birmingham News breaking news section)

Sounds pretty good so far. Have you heard anymore about that possible SEC Museum someone was wanting to build? I can't remember if it was for the entertainment district or not.

Wow, an Aloft hotel? That's the new brand by Starwood Hotels. I don't even think the first Aloft Hotel has opened yet. It looks like a pretty cool concept, like a limited service W Hotel. That's really cool. I'm definitely more excited about that than a Ruben Studdard night club.

^ Wow, that's nice. Now, is that the entire district, or is that just the hotel. Cause if it's just the hotel, Birmingham's gonna have one major party place on its hands.

That's the whole district, looking east from the Aloft hotel to the 2nd proposed hotel.

This is embarrassing! Even Orlando's Mayor is getting in on the fun...

FROM THE ORLANDO SENTINEL:

Three cheers for Crotty showing tough leadership

Can you believe it? We did something right. Finally, after all the posturing and politicking and haggling and hassling, we're more than just an endless string of theme parks and T-shirt shops.

A new arena. A refurbished football stadium. A new performing arts center.

"Mission accomplished, vision fulfilled!" Crotty said after county commissioners voted 5-2 to approve the momentous plan.

And exclaimed [Mayor] Dyer after hugging and high-fiving Crotty: "We're not Birmingham, baby!"

Vince Lombardi couldn't have come up with a better game plan than Team Venue.

Bill Walsh couldn't have gone on the offensive with as much wizardry and ingenuity.

Bobby Bowden couldn't have wooed the crowd with as much charm and chutzpah.

The greatest coaches are the ones who are the most prepared, who preach unity and persuade their teams to play as one. And never in this area's history have we ever seen such teamwork.

The rest can be read here: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orl-...0,1626877.story

A vote for the venues today is a vote to avoid Birmingham's fate

A decade ago, Birmingham officials tried to get a new domed football stadium built to replace decrepit Legion Field. Except Birmingham didn't have a tourist tax to pay for it. The only way the city could fund the project was tax the citizens. As you might expect, a referendum to add a penny to the county sales tax was decisively voted down.

Birmingham used to host the Southeastern Conference Championship football game, the annual Auburn-Alabama football game and a decent bowl game that has since moved to Tampa and become the Outback Bowl. Legion Field, which was built in 1927 (only nine years before the Citrus Bowl), now is relegated to hosting high school football games and something called the PapaJohns.com Bowl.

Birmingham -- once called the "Football Capital of the South" -- is now the "Football Cemetery of the South."

The rest can be read here: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orl-...,1037051.column

------------------

Normally, I'm as optimistic as they come but damn! This s--t is embarrassing. Don't get me wrong... this city has a lot going for it -- but when other cities start using you as a blueprint for what NOT to do... what more can you say but DAMN?!?

wow, it's easy to agree, but we know Birmingham is a special place and this article revolves around

just one area. But we also know that BHM has serious leadership issues, all of this has been well documented

and been told by plenty of people who could make a difference. Hopefully it's not too late to change attitudes.

Interesting that the Orlando mayor would call Birmingham out like that, and sad.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but, I'm kinda glad this happened. Now, many more people know about this problem. Hopefully, since more people know about it, they'll actually be active with their knowledge and press the city and county to work together. I seems to me that someone other than Orlando would have called this out by now, that is, on a national scale.