BJCC Expansion plans

Blazer85

Well... the AAFL is confirmed now to be at Legion Field. The league actually seems to have some promise by trying to recruit former local, popular college players. So far the Alabama team has signed Freddie Milons, Ahmad Galloway, Alonzo Ephraim, and a number of other former Alabama players. More expected to sign from UAB, Alabama, Auburn, Alabama State, Alabama A&M, etc.

I think things like this might help get some more things going, but I don't think it's horribly tragic. They can get their laughs in if they like. Makes no matter to me. Birmingham always has been and always will be a great city... and a great city for sports.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well... the AAFL is confirmed now to be at Legion Field. The league actually seems to have some promise by trying to recruit former local, popular college players. So far the Alabama team has signed Freddie Milons, Ahmad Galloway, Alonzo Ephraim, and a number of other former Alabama players. More expected to sign from UAB, Alabama, Auburn, Alabama State, Alabama A&M, etc.

I think things like this might help get some more things going, but I don't think it's horribly tragic. They can get their laughs in if they like. Makes no matter to me. Birmingham always has been and always will be a great city... and a great city for sports.

Orlando is not laughing a Birmingham, the Mayor was just using Bham as an example to sell the venues to the city and county council. We are very lucky we have that tourist tax money or knowing the voting record of citizens in Orlando and Orange county they wouldn't have voted for any new tax to build these venues. A couple of years ago we had the opportunity to get a total rebuilding of I-4 through the metro area with HOV lanes and money for light rail. It lost. We finally have to last vote coming up on Commuter Rail which seems to be a go, but that's only because the public is not doing the voting.

I'm glad Orlando's mayor said this. I wonder if our idiot mayor Kincaid and the City Council and the County Commission read stuff like this. I hope the City of Birmingham cleans its leadership house in the upcoming election. I can't stand the thought of seeing our mayor wearing a "Mayor" hat anymore. We have been floundering and wallowing in mediocrity while our peer cities welcome new corporate HQ's, build new arenas, improve transit, combine city/county governments, welcome new signature towers to town, experience population boom, and improve the quality of life of citizens.

I'm sorry to be a pessimist, but if you think the AAFL will succeed, then I've got some ocean front property in Arizona. I've supported every Mickey Mouse football league that came to town, and then inevitably left town. This one will be no different. We missed our NFL window of opportunity about 25 years ago and we need to just accept it and forget about professional football in Birmingham. Being a revolving door for pathetic wannabe leagues is embarrassing.

Edited by Vin

Don't believe it, just another hack league that will swindle fans of money then fold up. Mostly for ex bammers who couldn't make it in the NFL.

But hey if Birmingham wants to go down this road AGAIN then at least get this "league" to pay for renovations at Legion Field.

Otherwise keep moving, Jackson maybe?

http://blog.al.com/trackingtigers/2007/07/...ry_wont_be.html

CEO Marcus Katz. Here's what he wrote:

We expect that there may be some Auburn players that would play for our independent team named Alabama, but, quite frankly, we expect that the Auburn players, if given the chance, would much prefer to play against any team named Alabama.

Our research shows that the fans want teams hosted by both the University of Alabama and Auburn University. And the same thing is true in other situations such as Florida and Florida State.

The League would be very interested in sitting down this week or anytime in the future with Auburn University officials to discuss their hosting an AAFL team in '08.

(idiot, Auburn is not interested in having another team play at Jordan Hare Stadium)

Edited by HSVTiger

So at long last, Rep. John Rogers actually put something forth to the public in regards to his plans for a large 60,000-seat dome. Apparently, the project is being headed up by a venture capital company called Waymaker Enterprises. They are planning a 60,000+ seat dome, a new arena, an entertainment district, a golf course, and 3 hotels. A site has not yet been selected, but they have looked at about 5 sites around the city of Birmingham.

Now to me, it sounds too good to be true. It also makes me wonder that if they're genuine, why can't they work with the BJCC to make a comprehensive development there rather than apart from it. Personally, if all that they are planning comes to fruition, it could probably be successful wherever. A dome by itself (which is what I thought they were talking about) would not be sufficient at all... but if they have entertainment, hotels, etc. adjacent to it, it very well could work separate from the BJCC.

But as to whether this actually happens, we'll just have to wait and see. They showed some renderings on the news and it looked VERY nice.

So at long last, Rep. John Rogers actually put something forth to the public in regards to his plans for a large 60,000-seat dome. Apparently, the project is being headed up by a venture capital company called Waymaker Enterprises. They are planning a 60,000+ seat dome, a new arena, an entertainment district, a golf course, and 3 hotels. A site has not yet been selected, but they have looked at about 5 sites around the city of Birmingham.

Now to me, it sounds too good to be true. It also makes me wonder that if they're genuine, why can't they work with the BJCC to make a comprehensive development there rather than apart from it. Personally, if all that they are planning comes to fruition, it could probably be successful wherever. A dome by itself (which is what I thought they were talking about) would not be sufficient at all... but if they have entertainment, hotels, etc. adjacent to it, it very well could work separate from the BJCC.

But as to whether this actually happens, we'll just have to wait and see. They showed some renderings on the news and it looked VERY nice.

This does sounds too good to be true. I read somewhere that the Memphis Grizzlies are a possibility...correct me if I am wrong. Also that the project is supposed to be a 72,000 dome, with a 25,000 arena. There are so many plans out there that it confuses me. However as far as choosing a site goes, if they want to be near downtown, yet out of downtown the old Trinity site seems large enough for something like this. That would be a great location if you ask me...also an Ensley brownfield. There is an area of land going towards the airport right off 20/59, but I believe that it is going to be used for a future interchange for I-22 and I20/59.

This does sounds too good to be true. I read somewhere that the Memphis Grizzlies are a possibility...correct me if I am wrong. Also that the project is supposed to be a 72,000 dome, with a 25,000 arena. There are so many plans out there that it confuses me. However as far as choosing a site goes, if they want to be near downtown, yet out of downtown the old Trinity site seems large enough for something like this. That would be a great location if you ask me...also an Ensley brownfield. There is an area of land going towards the airport right off 20/59, but I believe that it is going to be used for a future interchange for I-22 and I20/59.

it's scary that they'd be so eager to jump into it.... hopefully they can contract some honest folks to do the job..

I don't want to be pessimistic, but...

Here we go again...this will NEVER happen as envisioned. I do not understand why the idea for a dome keeps reoccurring :dunno:

Birmingham doesn't need this, and the money would be better spent rehabbing, renovating and expanding the existing BJCC in addition to working with UAB to develop an expandable 40,000 seat, open-air stadium adjacent to campus for football.

I appreciate the enthusiasm of Rogers, but let it go...

It probably won't happen. The most sensible solution would be to help UAB build an oncampus stadium that could be used for some other events as well. Alot of people don't like that b/c they dont think the city should pander to UAB... but with all due respect, the city of Birmingham would be even worse shape than they are today if not for UAB. If this dome and megaplex gets off the ground, then great. No public dollars will be used, so that's good. If they want to make it work, then I'm all for them. I'm skeptical, but supportive at the same time.

It would be good to see Birmingham with something of this magnitude. It would be great for this to be close to the city's center, but I think it would work just about anywhere in the metro. To all that doubt this project, although it does kinda sound too good to be true, give it a chance and let's just wait and see what happens. I fully support this and hope it is developed.

I believe we all support it; however, I believe we're all a little skeptical.

Well, that's how we should all approach it. We should be supportive of the people that are proposing this, cause, if they don't see anybody being happy with what they're doing, they won't do it. Of course, every project this big and important should be looked at with skepticism, and the people that propose this should understand and do what they can to keep support and take away the skepticism.

<br /><br /><br />

"The NBA Memphis Grizzlies will leave the river city for Magic City if the price is right"? What about the contract signed for 10 years? Where will the corporate sponsorship come from for luxury suites? How many season tickets can be sold in a predominately football city? What type of attendance can you expect in a 82 game season? With all do respect to the forum how many of you believe this? Let me explain some things here. 1) I am a season ticket holder for the Grizz. 2) while it is true the majority owner Michael Heisley has looked and may be still looking to sell his majority ownership, the local minority ownership led by J.R Pitt Hyde( CEO AutoZone) would never let this this happen. 3) Stan Meadows and Hoops have to much on the line and a long term contract to be responsible for the day to day operations at FedEx Forum.

3) FedEx and Fred Smith will never let this happen after investing major money into the Naming rights for FedEx Forum. Fred Smith would buy the team before they would relocate. I admit my bias as a Memphian and season ticket holder but please let's be real.

<br /><br /><br />

"The NBA Memphis Grizzlies will leave the river city for Magic City if the price is right"? What about the contract signed for 10 years? Where will the corporate sponsorship come from for luxury suites? How many season tickets can be sold in a predominately football city? What type of attendance can you expect in a 82 game season? With all do respect to the forum how many of you believe this? Let me explain some things here. 1) I am a season ticket holder for the Grizz. 2) while it is true the majority owner Michael Heisley has looked and may be still looking to sell his majority ownership, the local minority ownership led by J.R Pitt Hyde( CEO AutoZone) would never let this this happen. 3) Stan Meadows and Hoops have to much on the line and a long term contract to be responsible for the day to day operations at FedEx Forum.

3) FedEx and Fred Smith will never let this happen after investing major money into the Naming rights for FedEx Forum. Fred Smith would buy the team before they would relocate. I admit my bias as a Memphian and season ticket holder but please let's be real.

Yes what he said!!!!!!!!!! LOL GOOOOOOOO MEMPHIS Grizzlies

Can we please remember that this thread is for discussing a dome proposal? It doesn't matter at the moment about who wants the Grizzlies the most, the stupid thing has to be built for anything to happen.

Agreed, It does have to be built first. My statement is not about who wants them the most, we already have them; It was to enlighten the panel of the unlikely move to Birmingham even if a dome is built. Correct me if I'm wrong is this not the second or third proposal for a new stadium? Didn't a previous proposal get voted down by the citizens before? LOL on building a dome but even if that happens the Grizzlies won't be playing there. Try Seattle or Neworleans Memphis has a state of the art facility for our team FedEx Forum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FedExForum

Agreed, It does have to be built first. My statement is not about who wants them the most, we already have them; It was to enlighten the panel of the unlikely move to Birmingham even if a dome is built. Correct me if I'm wrong is this not the second or third proposal for a new stadium? Didn't a previous proposal get voted down by the citizens before? LOL on building a dome but even if that happens the Grizzlies won't be playing there. Try Seattle or Neworleans Memphis has a state of the art facility for our team FedEx Forum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FedExForum

I don't think anyone in the Birmingham area expects the Grizzlies to move to Birmingham. To them, this proposal is just one more huge joke. Oh, and it's one of more than three, many more proposals have been made.

Oh, and New Orleans already has one, as does Seattle.

I don't think anyone in the Birmingham area expects the Grizzlies to move to Birmingham. To them, this proposal is just one more huge joke. Oh, and it's one of more than three, many more proposals have been made.

Oh, and New Orleans already has one, as does Seattle.

The past proposals required tax money didnt they... the new group wants to fund the whole thing with their own money.. if thats the case maybe they wont be stupid with the money? We just have to figure out a way to get people crazy about a pro team as they are about alabama and auburn... they can turn out 93,000 fans... with way overpriced tickets.. heck alabama filled up a stadium on a practice game against themselves! Lots of negativity on this subject in this forum... be excited about this... I think we can do it!

Oh, I know we can do it. It's all 100% possible. But, the fact is, we're obviously the only two that will admit it. The thing is, some of these proposals might be ligitimate (sp?). But, no one wants to believe them, because everyone thinks it's TOO good for Alabama, so, it must not be true. The truth is, we have access to whatever we want, but, thanx to some horrible leadership in the state, we don't believe we deserve it.

Oh, I know we can do it. It's all 100% possible. But, the fact is, we're obviously the only two that will admit it. The thing is, some of these proposals might be ligitimate (sp?). But, no one wants to believe them, because everyone thinks it's TOO good for Alabama, so, it must not be true. The truth is, we have access to whatever we want, but, thanx to some horrible leadership in the state, we don't believe we deserve it.

look new orleans is the most corrupt city in the united states and theyre able to have pro sports.... I think Birmingham is capable of this.. Birmingham has so much potential.. all the surrounding cities are passing us by.... bham has tons of potential... I went down to MORRIS AVE. tonight to take pictures.. I've never been there.. I was the only person on that street the entire 30 minutes I was there..it shouldnt be that way.. that place has potential.

It has been announced that Ruben will open Club 205 in the entertainment district. No other tenants have been confirmed at this time that I know of, but many have been rumored. Performa's CEO is supposed to be in Birmingham next month to announce both a name of the district and the rest of the tenants.