Removal of the old Jamestown Bridge

MikeR

I was driving into work this morning and the DOT has electronic signs informing motorists that the new Jamestown Bridge will be closed April 11, 2006 from 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM.

The old bridge's truss structure will be demolished via explosives during that time. It should be quite a show!

The DOT has a brochure on the demolition of the bridge:

http://www.dot.state.ri.us/projects/constr...emobrochure.pdf

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Too bad the bridge was too deficient even for use as a bike/ped bridge. That would've been awesome, and such a great link between the Route 1A bike route and Jamestown. Oh well... this should be cool to watch.

What's next!? The old Red Bridge in Providence/East Providence!? What's the world coming to?

ProJo story on the demolition of the bridge:

http://www.projo.com/news/content/projo_20...e3.8390545.html

I loved the opening paragraph:

It may have been the scariest stretch of road in the state -- 600 feet of slippery metal grating at the narrow peak of the Jamestown Bridge. Drivers lucky enough to get over it quickly sped along to a high rumbling whine. Those who braved one of the frequent traffic jams at the top of the bridge mostly remember the unimpeded view straight through the steel grates into the foreboding waters of Narragansett Bay 135 feet below.

Gawd - I remember being stuck in those jams when I commuted to Newport via 138. I would get stuck at the top of the old span in traffic jams frequently, and I would grip the steering wheel so hard that my knuckles would turn white (no joke). That center truss used to bounce like a trampoline when cars would pass you in the opposite direction!

Hi Guys,

I'm using this whole Bridge explosion thing as an excuse to skip work and spend a day down there with my girlfirend tomorrow. Just a couple quick questions... What's a good really casual place for lunch in Newport, we're talking really casual - like subs or something? And is there a good place on the Jamestown side to watch the bridge go down? Also might sneak into Providence on the way back for dinner. Any idea's for a relatively casual place? I've eaten at 3 Steeple and really liked that - somewhere like that. How's that Z-something place over on Wickenden?

Thanks for all your help!

-Carter

What's a good really casual place for lunch in Newport, we're talking really casual - like subs or something?
Newport has lots of places to pick up a good, casual lunch, though some of the more tourist-y places are a bit overpriced. two of my personal favorites are The Market on the corner of Memorial Blvd. and Middleton Rd. (on the right heading toward the beaches from downtown), and Sig's at the southern end of Thames St, just beyond where the road jogs to the right to become Old Fort Rd. Both are small neighborhood markets, and also serve a wide variety of excellent soups and sandwiches at reasonable prices. The Market has a few tables, while Sig's is take-out only.

And is there a good place on the Jamestown side to watch the bridge go down?

Three places come to mind. First, there is a small park and beach in Jamestown Shores off Seaside Drive. However, this is north of the bridge, so the new bridge will block some of the view. Second, the marina at the western end of Narragansett Ave. (Jamestown village's main drag) should provide an excellent view, though I'm not sure whether their security plans on letting people watch from there. Finally, there should be a decent, though more distant, view from Beavertail Rd. opposite Mackerel Cove Beach. This is where I plan on watching from.

Hope you can make it down! :D

Sigs is great. Fought with myself not to go there today. :P

A-1 Pizza on Broadway (by the hospital) is great. Pretty cheap, and they serve anything you could want. I recommend the gyros, but the pizza is excellent and I've heard rave reviews about the burgers. Wouldn't know, myself.

I haven't been there, but people tell me great things about Portabella on Broadway near City Hall. And depending on how casual you want, there's also Ben's Chili Dogs on Broadway, also near City Hall ... but I wouldn't recommend it unless you're really in the mood for a chili dog.

There are few different little bistros in that area, Broadway near City Hall. Nothing too pricey.

There's Via Via, another pizza joint, on Lower Thames, and there's also a Via Via on William St (near the Bellevue/Mem Blvd intersection) as well. Their prices are fine. And I forget the name, but there's also another pizza joint on Memorial Blvd West near the Belleview Ave intersection. Sits catercorner to Mem Blvd W. and this tiny one-way called Thomas St, I think. Place has a Greek name, if my memory serves me. Anyway, it's not bad either.

Anyways, that should be enough to give you a decent idea where to look. If you want something more particular, lemme know, maybe I can help.

And I forget the name, but there's also another pizza joint on Memorial Blvd West near the Belleview Ave intersection. Sits catercorner to Mem Blvd W. and this tiny one-way called Thomas St, I think. Place has a Greek name, if my memory serves me. Anyway, it's not bad either.

I didn't even think of Nikolas. They're pretty good, but I like their grinders better than their pizza. I'm especially fond of their sausage & pepper.

They postponed this until NEXT Tuesday because there wasn't a 3-day clear weather window that they needed this week apparently... first controlled explosion will be Tuesday the 18th according to the DOT homepage.

Ha! Thanks for telling me. I could just see us sitting on the water staring at the stupid bridge for hours. :huh:

This isn't such a crisis because my girlfriend's never stepped foot in the state of Rhode Island so I'm hoping to give her a kind of whirlwind tour. Thanks for all the suggestions. Sigs or one of those Broadway places sound good. What about a good restaurant for dinner in Providence? Some place nice but not too expensive (less than $20 a plate) Within walking distance to downtown, not too picky on the kind of food, just as long as it's not a chain. Leaving late morning, so I'll check back here before we go. Thanks again for the help!

Also might sneak into Providence on the way back for dinner. Any idea's for a relatively casual place? I've eaten at 3 Steeple and really liked that - somewhere like that. How's that Z-something place over on Wickenden?

Thanks for all your help!

-Carter

It's hard recommending good restaurants in Providence, because there are so many of them. The Z-Bar is pretty good, it's kindof upscale, you could say yuppie...very good food, but I would say it's more than casual. Trinity brewhouse is a good casual place to eat if you like traditional pub fare. Great home-brewed beer too. Bravo downtown is supposed to be pretty basic but good food, you should check the Providence Dining thread for more specifics. Another really good casual place is Julian's on Broadway. Artsy place, with very creative menu items.

Nikolas. That's the one. Good call.

My favorite too - their pasta dishes are great - and the place has its' own parking lot (a rarity for Newport).

If pizza, etc. is not your thing, the Red Parrot is also a great choice.

when i went to newport a couple weeks ago, there was a pizza place in an old firehouse. i think it was on the corner of thames st and wellington. it's really funky. i wouldn't have expected the place to be as good as it was, but it was awesome. we got hot subs (i got sausage and meatballs and she got eggplant parm), and they were really good and the prices were bad either. this place is about as casual as it gets i think. the guy behind the counter was all pierced and tattoo'ed up. we were the only ones there, probably because the tourists generally wouldn't go to a place like that.

when i went to newport a couple weeks ago, there was a pizza place in an old firehouse. i think it was on the corner of thames st and wellington. it's really funky. i wouldn't have expected the place to be as good as it was, but it was awesome. we got hot subs (i got sausage and meatballs and she got eggplant parm), and they were really good and the prices were bad either. this place is about as casual as it gets i think. the guy behind the counter was all pierced and tattoo'ed up. we were the only ones there, probably because the tourists generally wouldn't go to a place like that.

Firehouse Pizza. Really bad decor, really good food. I'd forgotten about that.

There's also the Newport Creamery on Belleview and a Subway on Upper Thames near Long Wharf Mall.

Firehouse Pizza. Really bad decor, really good food. I'd forgotten about that.

There's also the Newport Creamery on Belleview and a Subway on Upper Thames near Long Wharf Mall.

i thought the decor was kind of neat... of course we didn't look like we fit in since we were down there to look at wedding locations, although i don't think i'd fit in with the whole punk scene anyways.

but yes, the food was awesome.

Archived