Removal of the old Jamestown Bridge

MikeR

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got back to the office after watching it - we were up on the roof where I work in Newport and I could see the superstructure from there. It was fun to watch it go and hear the explosion.

I work at APC in West Kingston and I watched it on ch 10's web stream - What I thought was really cool is that we could hear/feel it after a good long delay - we must be at least 5 miles away.

As I mentioned before, I watched from Mackerel cove, Jamestown. I'll post some pics of the implosion and its aftermath when I get home in a couple hours.

I work at APC in West Kingston and I watched it on ch 10's web stream - What I thought was really cool is that we could hear/feel it after a good long delay - we must be at least 5 miles away.

Yeah! i was maybe 2 miles from the bridge. It was incredible to watch it fall in total silence, then hear a massive BOOM and splash a few seconds later.

WPRO am reported that the sound was audible as far away as Block Island... several minutes after the blast!

tell me again what will happen to all the pieces? will it become a natural reef thingy? And what are all those damn boats doing down there? ! how dangerous is that?

if you read the plan, i believe it says that salvage crews will pick up the steel pieces to be recycled or something and once they get to the point where they blow the cement, they'll take the cement pieces and set them as reefs in 3 locations. the plan has a better explanation of the whole project.

it sounds like it's gonna take nearly a year for the whole thing to be complete.

As for the boats, the Coast Guard kept them at least 1000 yards from the bridge. They do look dangerously close, but that is an illusion caused by my position at sea level and the long zoom in those shots (which squashes apparent distance between foreground and background).

On a side note, as I made my way back across the Newport Bridge, you should have seen the flotilla making its way around Beavertail and into Newport Harbor. There were dozens of boats out there!

Cool!

Never thought this would ever happen... actually I had envisioned the old bridge being blown up and falling down right into the new bridge, and both of them sinking. :shok:

:rofl: This is Rhode Island, after all. Nothing is impossible.

After the demolition, a guy standing near me said, "Hey, look! They blew up the right bridge!"

• 1 year later...

Anyone know what's going on at the Route 138 / Route 1 interchange? I saw new ramps and was wondering if there were any plans to make a future highway connection from Newport Grand to I-95 in Richmond, probably with an exit for URI.

For now it looks like they're putting in a couple jughandles, I'm assuming for traffic to reverse direction on Route 1 using the existing ramps. Pretty complex setup just to make a U-Turn!

All I could get from the DOT website: (I assume this is the project - not much info here)

PTS ID: 0058B

Project: Rt. 4/US 1 C-1 [shady Lea / Route 138 Ramps]

Limits: Shady Lea / Route 138 Ramps

Lead Section: Road

RIDOT PM: Gannon

Consultant: Crossman

RIC #: 85131

Adv. Date: 200305

Anyone know what's going on at the Route 138 / Route 1 interchange? I saw new ramps and was wondering if there were any plans to make a future highway connection from Newport Grand to I-95 in Richmond, probably with an exit for URI.

For now it looks like they're putting in a couple jughandles, I'm assuming for traffic to reverse direction on Route 1 using the existing ramps. Pretty complex setup just to make a U-Turn!

All I could get from the DOT website: (I assume this is the project - not much info here)

PTS ID: 0058B

Project: Rt. 4/US 1 C-1 [shady Lea / Route 138 Ramps]

Limits: Shady Lea / Route 138 Ramps

Lead Section: Road

RIDOT PM: Gannon

Consultant: Crossman

RIC #: 85131

Adv. Date: 200305

Archived