Pete Hollis Gateway

RestedTraveler

Does anyone know if the Snap Shot is being done by the same owners of the Leopard Forest or are they just reselling Leopard Forest cofffee? (which I love by the way).

Leopard Forest must be actively pushing the distribution of their brand......I've noticed their coffee pop up lately up in a few restaurants / deli's / bakeries around the city.

• 3 weeks later...

I drove by this area today and SYS constructors now has a sign up and construction fence is also up.What does this project acually entail. I heard a sculpture garden, but has anyone seen a rendering of what this will look like. I also have one more question what happened to the fountain project that is supposed to go at the BB&T building across from the library.

I drove by this area today and SYS constructors now has a sign up and construction fence is also up.What does this project acually entail. I heard a sculpture garden, but has anyone seen a rendering of what this will look like. I also have one more question what happened to the fountain project that is supposed to go at the BB&T building across from the library.

You can find info on the project and "Pete" at

http://friendsofpetehollis.com/index.html

The entire area from Cherrydale to downtown seems to have a new intrest with developers.I hope this area gets totally redeveloped because it is an important entrance to downtown.

It would seem logical that it would be in more demand. Downtown land is expensive. Cherrydale is now a proven retail/commercial district, with a growing population (and growing incomes) northward.

That economic growth would happen in that area, with cheaper land and access to commercially viable locations makes sense.

The Collision Center building across from where the Statue is going is going up for auction later this month. Maybe someone will buy it and do something positive with it. The Building at the Hollis/Rutherford intersection just sold recently as well.

If something substantial were to happen with these two properties, it could really be a catalyst for the changes proposed in the Gateway plan, esp. with them being there at the main intersection.

The right of ways along Stone from Wade Hampton to Rutherford have been 'turned over' in preparatoin for some landscaping the city is doing. I think there with be at least one piece of public artwork as well (akin to the one at Main and Stone). And don't forget that the Collission Center (on Rutherford) goes up for auction on friday 3/16.

• 1 month later...

Anybody know why construction hasn't started on the fountain thing that is supposed to go in that triangle area across the street from the main library downtown on the same piece of property BB&T is on? It looked like they were going to start a few months ago, but still haven't yet to this day. :dontknow:

Anybody know why construction hasn't started on the fountain thing that is supposed to go in that triangle area across the street from the main library downtown on the same piece of property BB&T is on? It looked like they were going to start a few months ago, but still haven't yet to this day. :dontknow:

I was wondering the same thing. All of the work in that area was been very drawn out.

I was wondering the same thing. All of the work in that area was been very drawn out.

I also was wondering the same thing. I spoke to my dad yesterday and the dedication ceremony for the Pete Hollis Statue Garden is supposed to be on Sat. May 12th. Those attending will be singing a couple of Pete's favorite tunes, my wife will be accompanying with her keyboard and I'll probably be taking quite a few photos. The project is mostly finished except for some addition landscaping and lighting.

How hard would it be to get rid of the McDonald's? I don't have a problem with them being in the area, but I don't like seeing them behind the statue...

Got a vodka bottle, a rag, and a match? :ph34r:

Seriously though: Hmmm... McDonald's is one thing that I had imagined would stay put in that triangle while other things around it go. I wouldn't advocate getting rid of McDonald's necessarily; however, it could use a remodel along the lines of the one in Travelers Rest. The building could be painted and the red/yellow can be replaced by more earthy tones (green/bronze/tan). The sign can come down and be replaced with a street-level "monunemt sign." Then, some tall hedges could be planted along the wall behind the statue that would eventually hide everything.

Edited by RestedTraveler

How much money do you have?

Seriously, that McDonald's one perhaps the first new business that moved into that area in years.

I agree and what I have heard about Pete Hollis he would have been much happier with the McDonalds that a statue of himself there. I read a great story about the people who started that McDonalds and their vision for helping out the people that lived in the run down neighborhoods in that area. If Pete were around today he would be hanging around inside that McDonald's on a regular basis or even working there part time just to encourage the young people there.

Seriously though: Hmmm... McDonald's is one thing that I had imagined would stay put in that triangle while other things around it go. I wouldn't advocate getting rid of McDonald's necessarily; however, it could use a remodel along the lines of the one in Travelers Rest. The building could be painted and the red/yellow can be replaced by more earthy tones (green/bronze/tan). The sign can come down and be replaced with a street-level "monunemt sign." Then, some tall hedges could be planted along the wall behind the statue that would eventually hide everything.

I like that idea. A little changing is all that is needed. Some paint and a monument sign would be ideal. :thumbsup: