Pete Hollis Gateway

RestedTraveler

Now that the Cline property is on the market, now would be a good time to consider what if anything might make a good addition to Heritage Green. The campus could simply jump Atwood Street. One thing would be to relocate the War Museum that is currently at Main and Academy. It is so isolated where it is and there would be an obvious synergy with the other museums. Also, a Veterans Memorial could be included with it on the new site.

What other things that might make a good addition to Heritage Green?

That's a great idea! I think the memorial move or creating a new one would be a good idea! I'd love to see a contemporary art museum similar to Raleigh's.

Those are all great ideas. But I don't see it. I think a lot of what may go in that area is maybe what's happening already downtown. Residential and maybe office.

As for Pete Hollis being narrowed it won't happen. The state won't allow it. We've talked about it.

Love the idea of Veterans memorial move... think it would get more use being in a mix over there, and also open up some prime real estate on Main St. Combine that with the county building next door and that is a big chunk of land.

Actually, at one time, probably 6 to 9 years ago, the city was seriously considering selling the municipal court building to a residential developer.  It might have been the 400 North Main developer, as I recall.  

That would be a good site for mixed use residential project since it would overlook McPherson Park.  Opening up that valuable Main St. parcel by moving the museum would be a big plus, even if the court building was not involved.    

Those are all great ideas. But I don't see it. I think a lot of what may go in that area is maybe what's happening already downtown. Residential and maybe office.

As for Pete Hollis being narrowed it won't happen. The state won't allow it. We've talked about it.

I sure that is the case but there has been recent discussion of turning over some state roads to local governments.  If the city took over ownership, that might take the state out of the equation. 

I believe they are still operating.  I drive by there often, and nothing looks any different, although it never was a 'beehive' of activity.  I expect the buyer would give them a year or so to move.

http://upstatebusinessjournal.com/news/highland-homes-targets-david-street-redevelopment/

I knew this was going on, but had no idea it was this many lots (20).   

A map of the 20 lots.  New City has a lot or two on James St. that are on the market as well.

http://highlandhomessc.wix.com/davidst#!master-plan/c1xsq 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

From Gville News:

Q: What will the city do with the property at the intersection of Pete Hollis Boulevard and Mulberry Street?

Amy in short: There's nothing planned at the moment, but the city and community are working together to find a suitable option.

A bit more: Two years ago, the city of Greenville purchased the former Green Plaza shopping center at the corner of Pete Hollis Boulevard and Mulberry Street and within a year had razed the 50-year-old building to make way for something new.

"We want to see a redevelopment that supports the goals and the vision of the neighborhood ... and spurs additional investment along the corridor," said Ginny Stroud, community development administrator.

The property, part of the Southernside neighborhood, is included in the Pete Hollis Gateway Plan, created in 2006, and the West Side Comprehensive Plan, authored in early 2014. Both call for a mixed-use development on the two-acre site.

One proposal for the site is for a grocery store, a refrain oft repeated in several downtown neighborhoods. But luring a grocery store isn't as easy as snapping your fingers, said City Councilwoman Lillian Brock Flemming, who represents the area.

"We need housing. We need a grocery store," said Mary Duckett, president of Southernside Neighborhood in Action. "Anything they put there would have to be something that would be an enhancement to the neighborhood and vitally important to the neighborhood."

That "enhancement" could also include a small medical plaza or dining establishment, she said. It would not include a nightclub or bar, for instance, or a drug store, since the area already has one in the beloved Kash & Karry.

"We are an extension of downtown. We want the neighborhood to reflect the type of growth that's coming down Washington and Pete Hollis from Main," Duckett said.

She said community members have been working closely with city officials on a suitable plan. She is not concerned about the possibility of high-end housing or other developments that might lead to financial pressures and possible gentrification in the community.

Because the city owns the strategic corner property, it can carefully guide redevelopment, Stroud said. There's been some interest in the site, she said, but no formal plans have been submitted for consideration.

"We want to make sure that the interest is the type of development that we want to see," she said. "We would like to see a redevelopment take place soon; however, the right opportunity is more important than a quick redevelopment."

Across the road, at the intersection of West Stone Avenue and Pete Hollis Boulevard, another two acres of unoccupied land are owned by a company associated with Stewart Spinks, founder of the Spinx Corporation. A Spinx representative could not be reached for comment, but Stroud said the city had not received any plans for redevelopment of that site.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

The vacant strip center at Buncombe Rd. and Old Buncombe Rd. has been staked off for some time, I think it is the property described here...

Mount Pleasant-based Ziff Properties Inc. bought Buncombe Plaza, a 52,000-square-foot shopping center. The mostly vacant property will be redeveloped in the spring as a 67,500-square-foot self-storage facility with 777 units, some of which will be climate-controlled. The Upstate site will also provide offer parking for owners of recreational vehicles and boats.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

March Design Review

Informal review was given for this project:

The Holbrook at Buncombe Street

A high-end senior living development that will include a full spa, indoor saltwater pool, multiple dining venues, sports bar, and wine bar is being proposed for the corner of Buncombe Street and Butler Avenue. The developer from Alpharetta, Ga., Solomon Development Services, specializes in senior living developments with memory care, assisted living, and independent living. They are applying for a zoning change that would allow for more than the 20 independent residences the current zoning allows. The proposed contiguous building will scale from three and a half to six stories along Buncombe.

The panel suggested a potential change in design — from English manor style to something more in line with the urban environment — while taking into consideration the architecture of the neighboring Hampton-Pinckney Historic District.