Pete Hollis Gateway

RestedTraveler

• 1 month later...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There's going to be a developer led neighborhood meeting for a 64 townhouse project in the Pete Hollis/Stone/Rutherford triangle. Looks like they are proposing demolishing only the Salvation Army and then will be filling in the remainder of the green space around Goodwin Street. This area is zoned RDV. Under the new code it's both MX-2 and MX-3. 

Will be interesting to see what happens here. I think the city would prefer this to become more of a node with mixed use, so townhomes would not be the best fit 

Edited by NewlyUpstate

13 hours ago, NewlyUpstate said:

There's going to be a developer led neighborhood meeting for a 64 townhouse project in the Pete Hollis/Stone/Rutherford triangle. Looks like they are proposing demolishing only the Salvation Army and then will be filling in the remainder of the green space around Goodwin Street. This area is zoned RDV. Under the new code it's both MX-2 and MX-3. 

Will be interesting to see what happens here. I think the city would prefer this to become more of a node with mixed use, so townhomes would not be the best fit 

Does it listed the acreage? Trying to determine which parcels are involved.  When and where is the meeting?

1 hour ago, vicupstate said:

Does it listed the acreage? Trying to determine which parcels are involved.  When and where is the meeting?

April 10 at 6PM at Berkshire Hathaway. Here's the site plan.2023-03-19_114492.thumb.jpg.ec659ca8346e6c3c26a6ecbf1eec9cd5.jpg

I think this development could get away with some townhomes, but I really don't think it will pass review being all townhomes. Along stone and Pete Hollis I'm pretty sure the city will want to see more massing with mixed use facing the streets.

Edited by NewlyUpstate

20 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

While the RDV zoning  ALLOWS the mixed use development you describe and would encourage it, I don't think they can REQUIRE it. If Townhomes are allowed under this zoning, they don't have much leeway to stop it.

Which is why it'll be interesting to see what happens here.  Semi-dense townhomes with only a residential component does not at all align with the vision of the city for this area to be zoned half MX-3/MX-2, which is fairly dense non-downtown mixed use.  It will completely kill the potential for future street pedestrian activity along the stretches of street this development covers.  RDV, to me, is extremely nebulous in what the city will allow (definition below) from a planning approval perspective. In my opinion, a large townhome development, with no food, retail, commercial, or office uses, does not fall under the below definition, but I could see how some people could say it would.  To me, it almost feels like the developer is "rushing against the clock" to get this approved before the development code is finalized.

Purpose. The intent of the redevelopment district (RDV) is to promote appropriate investment and development in areas that are depressed or underdeveloped. The new development is intended to enhance and support adjacent communities by providing housing and job opportunities as well as convenient access to necessary goods and services. The new development should improve the quality of life for all who live, work, or shop in the area. The RDV is intended to create a gathering place for adjacent neighborhoods, upgrade and improve the physical, social, and economic character of the area and to promote mixed-use developments.

• 2 months later...