Pete Hollis Gateway

RestedTraveler

anybody know what happening with these places? :sick:

DSCI0001-1.jpg

DSCI0002-1.jpg

DSCI0001.jpg

The first two photos are sites at the Rutherford Street/Rutherford Road/Shaw Street/Poinsett Highway intersection. The Shaw Street corners desperately need work. The former gas station and Park Place offices would be ideal for a McBee Station Publix-like supermarket with residences above. The Shaw Street/Poinsett Highway corner was previously office space until the building succumbed to fire a decade ago, and a portion being razed. It is feasible for a midrise office/residential building.

As for Poinsett Highway/Rutherford Street to Cherrydale, I dio like someone's idea of doing away with utility poles, traffic signals from suspension arms, tree lined median, etc. This would clean up the Park Place area somewhat.

• 4 weeks later...

They have picked up work again on the founrtain wall at the BB&T. They are starting to put the stonework on the low walls around the base of the fountain and they have been finishing the concrete on the wall in preparation for the sculpture work on the wall. Should really start to change form now over the next couple of weeks. What a welcome into downtown from the Westside that is going to be.

• 4 weeks later...

Waterfall wall is just about finished all the stone work. Looks pretty good. They were also cutting the asphalt on The Western Corridor by Pete Hollis Park. Looks like they'll be putting a planted median here which will really dress up that intersection with Poinsett Hwy some more. This must be some of what the Journal mentioned a couple of weeks back about the City starting to focus more on this whole area.

• 4 months later...

Was driving into town this morning and noticed a new sign up on the vacant lot before the lights near the Kash N Karry on Pete Hollis Hwy. It's advertizing Retail Out parcels available. I'll try and get a better look at it later. I think the developer is Continental or something like that.

• 4 weeks later...

I had heard they were simply waiting for the weather to warm up consistently above freezing before continuing with the fountain and the landscaping...there isn't a whole lot left to do. Also - when is that artwork going to be installed?

That would make sense. Lots of fountains shut off until the expected last frost date (april 15th this year). I believe the fountain at River Place was left partially completed until warmer weather, right?

Edited by whitehourseview

I had heard they were simply waiting for the weather to warm up consistently above freezing before continuing with the fountain and the landscaping...there isn't a whole lot left to do. Also - when is that artwork going to be installed?

That would make sense. Lots of fountains shut off until the expected last frost date (april 15th this year). I believe the fountain at River Place was left partially completed until warmer weather, right?

Umm i'm not a professional on this, but I don't believe that. The Saluda Fountain in 5pts in Columbia was worked on and started up earlier this month. I'm not sure what they are doing because i just don't feel like that's a valid reason.

Plus i guess the "fountain shut off" must happen up that way...i'm in Savannah right now and they never have the fountain in Forsyth park off...

but none-the-less...that fountain looks like it's going to be very very nice.

Umm i'm not a professional on this, but I don't believe that. The Saluda Fountain in 5pts in Columbia was worked on and started up earlier this month. I'm not sure what they are doing because i just don't feel like that's a valid reason.

Plus i guess the "fountain shut off" must happen up that way...i'm in Savannah right now and they never have the fountain in Forsyth park off...

but none-the-less...that fountain looks like it's going to be very very nice.

:cold: I could be wrong, but I don't think Columbia or Savannah get as hard of a freeze as Greenville does in the winter. :dontknow: There are a number of fountains that are off all winter here and a few where people seem to be more proactively following the weather...perhaps even with a shut-off valve that's temperature-guided for all I know.

The RiverPlace fountain being the obvious exception...yet it's still not fully functional. Hey...maybe that's where the $1.9M from the city budget is going - cost overruns on the fountain. :whistling:

Drove by the fountain again today, and I'm not sure this is what is going on. You would think they would have at least finished the landscaping in front of the fountain. It just looks like they left for lunch one day and never came back. Kinda like... oh no... The PEACOCK... :rolleyes:

Edited by distortedlogic

• 1 month later...

Bump. A post about this intersection in another thread made me want to bump this one. Anyone hearing anything more about the fountain? Why not go ahead and finish this one?

You should see work on this one picking back up very soon. There has been some activity on and around the area over the past week and there's not a whole heck of a lot left to do there.

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like they have started Demoing the old Labor Finders building opposite the Pete Hollis Garden on Poinsett Hwy. That would be a good start to freeing up a lot for some possible development in that area.

Something is also going on at the Collision Center building across from McDonalds. Anyone know what's going on over there? I know it was up for auction a while ago.

Something is also going on at the Collision Center building across from McDonalds. Anyone know what's going on over there? I know it was up for auction a while ago.

It is the same owners on both parcels, dont know what they are doing, but I think it is retail related.

Not sure - but someone spent some significant effort on decontamination of the site. I drive through there often and I keep looking for any sign of what's going on. It's an excellent location for some redevelopment.