rocky top buzz

Being from Atlanta, I had to start using 10 digit dialing in, I believe, 1996? The Nashville area is growing with leaps and bounds, so why do I not hear anything about adding a new area code, or changing the current setup? I'm no mathmatician, so maybe someone can do the math and tell me how many phone numbers can be served with 615? I am in IT, so I am technical and just see the continued propigation of cell phones and wireless toys like blackberries that have thier own phone numbers, and it makes me wonder why we're still all on 615. Did the twin towers in NY have their own area codes, or just their own zip codes?

I still dial 615 almost everytime I dial a local number just because it's a habit. I'm curious though, would most of you rather dial 10 digits, or have 615 for Nashville, and a different area code for surrounding counties? I remember in Atlanta they added 678 so people didn't have to change their business cards every few years!

Also, any reason why we don't have to dial 1 before calling 931 numbers?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, to answer your question, there can be 10,000,000 phone numbers, including the number 000-0000. I don't know the exact area of the 615 area code, but I think there are less than 2 million people in it. So really, people can have 5 numbers each before we run out of phone numbers. So I doubt we'll run into any problems soon.

And also, the WTC towers had their own zip codes, not area codes. I don't know about the 931 thing, though.

I vaguely recall reading an article some (5?) years ago when the last big wave of area code expansions occurred. We actually added two that year in GA, and people were getting pissed.

Anyway, the subject had to do with some "NEW" way to get more numbers out of an existing area. It had something to do with not dedicating a block of numbers or something like that to an area code. It sounded like it would "free up" more numbers to be used for all customers new and old.

Obviously, I'm not clear on the details, but I'm sure somebody here knows more about this. A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing.

It costs a lot of money to reprint business cards letterheads etc. and advertise a business' new phone number. After all, it actually is a new number for them. Some companies can even lose business b/c of it.

The first metro area codes added back in the mid 90s prevented overlap of the exchange for several years. And for the first year or so, seven digit dialing was allowed. Then the made the cutover to 10-digits after a rather long transition period.

I personally think it would be best to combine the 931 and 615 area's, and just assign new numbers either/or. ATL's right, the re-printing of company material can be a big issue, costing thousands of dollars even for small companies. I do wonder though how well people around here would take having to dial 10 digits.

I think the "new" way we are increasing numbers is by not dedicating a prefix (for 615-123-4567, 123 is the prefix) to an area. In La Vergne, all phone numbers used to begin with 793, but not it's a combination.

Interesting how area codes seem unrelated to population to some extent.

Minnesota has barely 5 million pop. and 7 area codes, while Tennessee has close to 6 million and 6 codes.

Even Iowa at 3 million has 5 area codes.

I think it was about 6-7 years ago that STL ran into this problem and came up with the 636 area code. My grandparents live in a suburb 30 mins south, and ended up with a 636 number, replacing their old 314. There was some bitterness about it, I believe. But STL is what, roughly twice the size of Nashville?

I could see a similar situation occurring in Nashville eventually... with those closest to the city keeping the 615 area code. I could see Murf. and possibly Franklin/Cool Springs getting a different area code... but I know this would cause an uproar.

Maybe they could use it as a benefit to get businesses to move to downtown Nash lol...

STL is about 1.5 times the size (and Nashville is catching up fast). Comparing the two is difficult because Nash has a large portion of its population away from the center.

The main problem is for businesses. It just hard to believe that the phone companies can intermingle office codes (ex. 741-xxxx) but not area codes,

Currently a little over 630 numbers prefixes in 615 are in use. Nashville-Davidson could see another area code in about two years or so. But, it is more likely the new area code will be overlayed with 615 and 931 area codes.

• 2 months later...

Being from Atlanta, I had to start using 10 digit dialing in, I believe, 1996? The Nashville area is growing with leaps and bounds, so why do I not hear anything about adding a new area code, or changing the current setup? I'm no mathmatician, so maybe someone can do the math and tell me how many phone numbers can be served with 615? I am in IT, so I am technical and just see the continued propigation of cell phones and wireless toys like blackberries that have thier own phone numbers, and it makes me wonder why we're still all on 615. Did the twin towers in NY have their own area codes, or just their own zip codes?

I still dial 615 almost everytime I dial a local number just because it's a habit. I'm curious though, would most of you rather dial 10 digits, or have 615 for Nashville, and a different area code for surrounding counties? I remember in Atlanta they added 678 so people didn't have to change their business cards every few years!

Also, any reason why we don't have to dial 1 before calling 931 numbers?

Ever since I've moved to Orlando we have to put the area code when we dial. We have two area code 407 and 321. it's hard to remember two different area codes sometimes. Whenever I am in Nashville I do the 615 because I am use to 10 digit numbers. Alot of my friends in Nashville find it hard to believe that you actually have to dial the area code too.

Currently a little over 630 numbers prefixes in 615 are in use. Nashville-Davidson could see another area code in about two years or so. But, it is more likely the new area code will be overlayed with 615 and 931 area codes.

Overlays are preferred now. It keeps current business and people from having to change business cards etc. N. Georgia just added an overlay for 706 instead of splitting Augusta/N. Georgia/Columbus. 706 is a weird area code since it is not contiguous. Kind of like 423 in TN.

When N. Georgia begins the 762 overlay in Aug, I guess Chattanooga residents will have to begin 10 digit dialing to the local portions of Dade, Walker and Catoosa counties. Will the N. Georgia have to do 10 digit dialing to 423 also? Even though its local?

By the end of the year Chattanooga should have 3 area codes all with local calling. 423, 706 and 762.

By the end of the year Chattanooga should have 3 area codes all with local calling. 423, 706 and 762

And don't forget, Chattanooga and Knoxville (865) Are pretty close to each other, so that will generate a significant amount of crossover.

I know a few years back Memphis consolidated the 931 area code. Does Memphis do 10 digit dialing?

931? Do you mean 901? All of West TN used to be 901, now just Shelby, Fayette, and Tipton counties are 901 and the rest of WTN is 731. 931 split from 615 correct, and now covers the counties south of Nashville (ex. Lawrence)?

I don't know if Memphis does 10 digit dailing off hand.

Archived