Make Charlotte Weird

voyager12

One thing that makes Austin weird is our unofficial Mayor. A butt ugly homeless man who wears womans clothes and hangs out downtown. Most of the people here know him, although his name escapes me. I've seen a few people having their pictures taken with him, now that's a sight to see! :lol: Maybe you can start by getting one too!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our wierd homeless guy was Mr. Major who was quite funny standing at street corners, listening to his tiny radio, bobbing his head, and waving at every car that goes by. He's actually pretty friendly, but unfortunetly is the complete opposite when he gets drunk. He's gotten drunk and in the trouble with the law so many times that he is now banned from uptown and other areas of the city.

Living in Dilworth I see Willy every day and have talked to him often. He is been in Dilworth for a long time now and most people don't seem to mind. He is relatively harmless but does get grumpy when he drinks. He hangs out mostly on the stoops in front of Starbucks and Caribou listening to his radio and railing on about something or another. Harris Teeter banned him from the front of their East Blvd store. The looks people give him are pretty priceless. My neighbor and others have tried to help him numerous times but he refuses to change his current state. He definitely does add local community color. On fostering weirdness or creativity I think doing more to encourage locally owned businesses with tax breaks or preservation of unique structure like the mills in NoDa is a way of encouraging local creativity in a positive fashion. The city's hands off position has a lot to do with Charlotte's capitalist sink or swim style I think : make it on or you own or fail trying. At least that is usually their position toward grass roots alternative cultural efforts. They have no problem throwing money at baseball or nascar.

Archived