Downtown Nashville Restaurants

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I have printed out the thread and will hope to try as many of these places as I can! Granted, being 17, I will not be able to go into the bars...darn...JK!!!! Thanks again, and I'll post with where I wind up! Looking forward to hitting downtown Nashville as soon as I get there tomorrow...excited is the biggest understatement!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sambuca is awsome! We went there for valentines day - perfect! I went to 6 Degrees when it was in the same spot and I really do prefer the sambua concept to 6 degrees. Although the arrangement is similar, Sambuca is darker and a little less "california" - not sure if you get what I mean there, but Sambuca is awsome.

• 3 months later...

Just got my downtown details from the Nashville Downtown Partnership and they had this in there:

New Restaurant! The Standard

165 8th Avenue N. 254-1277. The oldest grand townhouse in Nashville has recently been renovated and the restaurant at the Smith House is now open. Menu items include Tomato Basil Soup, Southwest Chopped Chicken Salad, Southern Hot Brown Sandwich, homemade desserts and much more. Hours are Mon - Fri, 11 am - 2:30 pm.

Does anyone happen to have a picture of this property? I need to substantiate if it is indeed in the "oldest grand townhouse in Nashville" :D . Thanks!

That used to be a gay bar I think.

You're thinking about a place a block south, I believe. however, I don't go to bars, not that there's anything wong with that. I remember it, because it was a pub called the "Spot" in the 60's and a relative of mine stopped in their to grab a quick brew with me in tow, before we stepped out on the sidewalk to watch President Lyndon Johnson's motorcade come by. He stopped right in front of us and stood up and said a few words. It was very memorable. But I digress.

It's a shame, but this restaurant is in the last remaining townhouse in downtown. It looks like something you would find in greenwich Village.

You're thinking about a place a block south, I believe. however, I don't go to bars, not that there's anything wong with that. I remember it, because it was a pub called the "Spot" in the 60's and a relative of mine stopped in their to grab a quick brew with me in tow, before we stepped out on the sidewalk to watch President Lyndon Johnson's motorcade come by. He stopped right in front of us and stood up and said a few words. It was very memorable. But I digress.

It's a shame, but this restaurant is in the last remaining townhouse in downtown. It looks like something you would find in greenwich Village.

This used to be the Townhouse Tearoom & Gaslight Lounge -- the other gay bar was down the street, next to Ju's Hatters -- Victor Victorias. The rehab they've done on this looks really nice.

Speaking of just down the street, does anybody know what they're doing with the renovations to the old building where Ju's used to be? They've finally taken the big wooden false walls off the front but it looks to me about like it always did.

Just got my downtown details from the Nashville Downtown Partnership and they had this in there:

New Restaurant! The Standard

165 8th Avenue N. 254-1277. The oldest grand townhouse in Nashville has recently been renovated and the restaurant at the Smith House is now open. Menu items include Tomato Basil Soup, Southwest Chopped Chicken Salad, Southern Hot Brown Sandwich, homemade desserts and much more. Hours are Mon - Fri, 11 am - 2:30 pm.

Does anyone happen to have a picture of this property? I need to substantiate if it is indeed in the "oldest grand townhouse in Nashville" :D . Thanks!

Isn't that "Savage House" ?

Isn't that "Savage House" ?

They are, in fact, referring to a townhouse that is located adjacent to or in front of the former gay bar called the Gaslight Lounge. This townhouse is one of the oldest, and may in fact be the oldest residence in "downtown" if you exclude SoBro ( I think the Rutledge House on Rutledge Hill may be older?). I may be wrong but this townhouse may have once belonged to the Rev. Dr. Ward who ran the Ward Belmont Seminary. I may be wrong on that, but I'm recalling that for some reason. Or maybe it was next door to Dr. Ward's house. (Not that I remember Dr. Ward myself!!!!)

They are, in fact, referring to a townhouse that is located adjacent to or in front of the former gay bar called the Gaslight Lounge. This townhouse is one of the oldest, and may in fact be the oldest residence in "downtown" if you exclude SoBro ( I think the Rutledge House on Rutledge Hill may be older?). I may be wrong but this townhouse may have once belonged to the Rev. Dr. Ward who ran the Ward Belmont Seminary. I may be wrong on that, but I'm recalling that for some reason. Or maybe it was next door to Dr. Ward's house. (Not that I remember Dr. Ward myself!!!!)

I don't know why, but I'm completely stumped on that particular building. If I see a photo, I'll probably know which one it is. I thought Savage was the last remaining townhouse in the old CBD (excluding the residence that is incorporated into St. Cloud's Corner, which is pre-civil war, as is the home across from the Arena on the south side of Broadway).

The Savage House is the one everyone is talking about, except it's now called the Smith House after its new owner. Josh Smith invited the UrbanPlanet Saturday meetup crowd inside twice to check out the construction and even have the meetup take place there. I was present the first time when he showed us around and told us about the plans for a restaurant serving Southern fare called "The Standard," which, if memory serves me correctly, takes its name from a Jewish club that used to occupy the space long ago. And yes, more recently the Gas Light Lounge used to be located there.

The Savage House is the one everyone is talking about, except it's now called the Smith House after its new owner. Josh Smith invited the UrbanPlanet Saturday meetup crowd inside twice to check out the construction and even have the meetup take place there. I was present the first time when he showed us around and told us about the plans for a restaurant serving Southern fare called "The Standard," which, if memory serves me correctly, takes its name from a Jewish club that used to occupy the space long ago. And yes, more recently the Gas Light Lounge used to be located there.

You are correct on all counts, Tom. We had the forum meet at the Savage House I think in May. The building is about 20,000 sq ft and includes what use to be the Gas Light. That will be used as a ball room again for weddings, gatherings, etc. Josh has done a great job rehabbing the building to as close to original as possible.

Archived