Old Howard Johnson's to become Doubletree

jasoniman24

Just read in today's News & Record, that the Old Howard Johnson's on High Point Rd in Greensboro is being totally renovated and will become a Doubletree hotel. Also Hooter's will be moving into the former Jack Astor's across the street. I think this is good for High Point Rd, and maybe it will spur redevelopment along this corridor.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doubletree will help High Point Rd out alot ...It has great visability from Business 40 too (might as well get used to this stupid name) If some mixed use and/or high density residential projects could occur along the High Point/Lee St corridor that would be even better. Yeah "the high rise hotel" was definitely a step in a wrond direction

Aren't Doubletree's supposed to be known as upscale? To get to that status they are going to have to do some MAJOR renovating. I went to Durham a couple of days ago and saw they had taken down the "High Rise Hotel" signs and were doing some major work on the exterior. Does this hotel have exterior entries or are those balconies? I haven't really seen a brick Doubletree before, so this should be quite interesting to see.

The hotel used to have balconies, but the developer wants to take those out and replace them with walls and windows. The hotel will be gutted and meeting space downstairs in addition to a new lobby will be added. I am confident it will look better than the High Rise. Cost estimates are at $10 million and renovations are expected to take 6 to 8 months to complete, so it sounds like it will be pretty significant.

I was so happy to see that serious renovations were planned because the High Rise was a sleazy lookin eyesore.

Aren't Doubletree's supposed to be known as upscale? To get to that status they are going to have to do some MAJOR renovating. I went to Durham a couple of days ago and saw they had taken down the "High Rise Hotel" signs and were doing some major work on the exterior. Does this hotel have exterior entries or are those balconies? I haven't really seen a brick Doubletree before, so this should be quite interesting to see.

• 4 months later...

Has anyone driven pass the old Howard Johnson Hotel at the intersection of High Point Road and I-40? the are totally refacing the highrise hotel. They removed the balconies and the building is begining to look more decorative and modern. They've added an arch at the top and you can see the name DoubleTree.

Has anyone driven pass the old Howard Johnson Hotel at the intersection of High Point Road and I-40? the are totally refacing the highrise hotel. They removed the balconies and the building is begining to look more decorative and modern. They've added an arch at the top and you can see the name DoubleTree.

They've really done a lot of work there. Even though I kinda hate to see the old style HoJo's go. But they are doing a first class remodel from all appearances.

Archived