Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

krazeeboi

Best Cities for Teleworking

5 posts in this topic

According to Sperling's Best Places (which gave us Cities Ranked and Rated in which Columbia ranked #50 among 400 metro areas), Columbia ranks 5th among small metro areas (which appears to be metros <1M) when it comes to teleworking, which was defined as "an advanced form of telecommuting which goes beyond simply allowing employees to work from home or an alternative location a couple of days a week and instead enables them to work at any time or place that allows them to successfully complete their work. In short, it means bringing the work to the worker instead of the worker to the work." More great news for our Capital City. :thumbsup:

Nice find! I started teleworking myself about a year ago and I figure that it has saved me 10,000 miles of driving over the last year, 1.5 hours/day in time, and 500 gallons of gasoline which is good for the environment.

Yeah, the savings for the various cities is no chump change. It's good to see a lot of Southern cities having made the cut.

A lot of government offices are surprisingly good about offering telecomutting, as my workplace offers. In fact I met someone at a conference that lives in Columbus GA but works for Wyoming DOT!

I would imagine the number of government offices might help Columbia's ranking...

You have a good point there. I would also imagine that's why DC ranked #1. About 25% of the cities listed throughout the various categories are capital cities.