book-cadillac hotel

Kevin77

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

"George Jackson, president of the Detroit Economic Growth Corp., said the fund's approval Thursday night is the final piece needed in the complex $176-million package to finance the work. A financial closing is expected in the next several weeks, with construction work to begin immediately."

Last piece of funding....that is awesome news

This is excellent news. I can't wait for the day where I will be able to walk into the Lobby of a beautifully renovated Book Cadillac.

Me too. I think this project will really help with the revitalization of that part of downtown. Capitol Park area will quickly start to spruce up after the BC is done. There is soooo much potential in that area.

• 2 weeks later...

BTW, I guess this means 150 is coming down. A couple months ago, I took some maps with property measurements I got off some software at U of M and overlayed the new Washington Street Parking structure on top of the property next to 150. The ramp fit + extra space in that triangular corner. The typical max height of a cast in place parking structure is about 14 floors. (which the one in AA is not). The problem with compact parking structures is that they do not have sloping floors across the entire structure. Instead, they use a half floor system and have very small, but steep inclines at each end of the parking rows. It's slightly obnoxious as there is a very high chance you'll scrape against the walls when turning. Additionally, it is very slow to proceed from level to level. However, skilled valet employees should be able to eliminate these problems.

So basically, my rough calculations say that empty lot can hold up to 400 cars, which I'm sure is hardly enough for the B-C. If the structure were to be automated, that's a whole different story, but it would be very expensive.

• 7 months later...

Some may have already seen this video of the Book-Cadillac, but I'll post it anyway. One of the developers talks about the project. The video shows a bit of what's going on inside the building right now. It looks as though there is much work to be done, but it is terrific to see that the hotel is on its way to resurrection.

He started an organization that caters to high school students. If a high school student helps out in a community service project, that teen can get tickets to a Tiger's Game or a couple of theatre tickets to the Fox. Each student gets a scholarship and the organization called DetroitSTAR is in partnership with many universities. The organization is an athletic/academic/social organization that makes more well-rounded teens. I too plan to join as well. I am sure Chris can go into more detail on a count that he started it all that has now also taken off in Toronto as TorontoSTAR.

I would not want to hijack this thread, or use this forum as free advertising, but I will say that we have a temporary website (www.detroitstar.org). Our full site is under development. The opportunity and visions page will have information about what we do. I'll get the newsletter link fixed so you can contact us directly for more information if you would like.

Archived