book-cadillac hotel

Kevin77

"To hell with the commerce building" indeed. Just seeing the corner being something other than a parking lot is worth this.

I'm serious, that rendering would be perfect. I like the idea of not having a parking entrance on the Michigan side. I think it would take quite a bit away from main side of the structure.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The new building is nicer than I might have expected. Still, one more building lost is one more building lost. Detroit needs to be more careful with its remarkable inventory of great buildings. For a building which is mostly dedicated to parking, this one is remarkably attractive.

Jeeze, talk about unexpected. This is great, and not at all what I expected. Kraemer Design Group is really leading the way in downtown renovations, and now it looks like they are moving in on some great new constructions. I was expecting taller residential floors so it won't look like condos on top of a parking garage, and rather parking inside a condo building, but the overall design more than makes up for that gripe of mine. And, again, considering this was orginally only proposed as a parking garage, what more can you ask for?

Let me just say that I hope the other developers take note of this, and it's great the city is sticking to its word that if there must be parking garages they should blend in with their surroundings. Maybe, things really are changing for the better, design-wise, in Detroit.

Just got an email back from my contact at Kraemer Design Group. They say that this rendering if a preliminary rendering that hasn't been finalized, but I can't imagine it changing too much. I'm still waiting back to hear on whether this was leaked or if they meant to disseminate the photo.

Yes, and it had to, too.

BTW, I noticed that being that this is also a Kraemer Design Group design the facade is almost identical with the facade of the Frank & Seder Department Store Building(s) that are part of Merchants Row. To get an idea of how this facade will look, just take a look at that one. The facade is GFRC (Glass Fiber Reinforced Concrete), so I suspect this will also be GFRC, but it looks decent despite being precase concrete.

Yes, and it had to, too.

BTW, I noticed that being that this is also a Kraemer Design Group design the facade is almost identical with the facade of the Frank & Seder Department Store Building(s) that are part of Merchants Row. To get an idea of how this facade will look, just take a look at that one. The facade is GFRC (Glass Fiber Reinforced Concrete), so I suspect this will also be GFRC, but it looks decent despite being precase concrete.

Assuming that construction would begin shortly after the removal of the Commerce Building is complete, I would guess that the bus stops that serve the corner there will have to be moved (at least temporarily). Not so convenient for many, but I guess a necessary evil.

honestly, and i've been holding this in because its a "no-no" to be OK with an old building demolition. But to me, the commerce building was pretty bland. The terra cotta was nice, but it was more or less a boring version of the Kales Building. The geometry of the structure was boring and I really don't think it was that all that much history behind it (as opposed to say a hudsons). Not that a Parking garage is great, but the replacement structure is honestly a significant upgrade if you look at the stone work and the top floors. This will nicely define Michigan Avenue into Campus Martius. Amazing work by KDG.

Wow!!

It should also look nice next to the Lafayette building too.

I agree with you tapezord, in general buildings should be preserved, but that building didn't have much historical or architectural significance.

Hopefully it will look good when it's actually built.

I wish the parking garage part wasn't actually a garage, lol.

Very exciting!

I dont mean to be a party pooper but according to the admin on DY...they have requested the image be removed but are glad we all like it

here's what Lowell posted on DY

****[The image of the Commerce building replacement has been removed at request of its owner due the fact that the rendering and details are still in negotiations. They are appreciative of the positive responses and will repost the image as soon as it is cleared.]****

maybe they leaked the image here so they can see our response to it, and thought it was great and thanks to us will move forward with the plans.

Does this development have to be voted by city council, My pulse is always fast after hearing of any development because of the council. I just dont' understand why the DDA is taking so long to get this approved, what's going on. Maybe I'm going too far, but I just don't wanna see this fall through.

I dont mean to be a party pooper but according to the admin on DY...they have requested the image be removed but are glad we all like it

here's what Lowell posted on DY

****[The image of the Commerce building replacement has been removed at request of its owner due the fact that the rendering and details are still in negotiations. They are appreciative of the positive responses and will repost the image as soon as it is cleared.]****

Does this development have to be voted by city council, My pulse is always fast after hearing of any development because of the council. I just dont' understand why the DDA is taking so long to get this approved, what's going on. Maybe I'm going too far, but I just don't wanna see this fall through.

Why worry about council they almost always approve these things without delays? As for why it's taking so long, remember this is really two projects the garage which will be built no matter what and the condos. It's no different than B-C deal, the developer has to negotiate tax incentives, find financing and it doesn't happen overnight.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got back from the ModelD speaker series that featured the Book Cadillac Hotel today. The speakers were all delightful and it was great to be included with the large number of Detroit business people and interested citizens. It was the first time I was able to represent a company and not just be an interested citizen...it's a whole different world.

3 things caught my attention:

1. I did not realize the extent that water had affected the sub-levels. Apparently there was an old line unaccounted for on city maps that had been capped and been leaking into the BC sub levels for many years. I guess millions of gallons were pumped out in stages.

2. The attention being placed on renovation/reconstruction to historic detail shocked me. I knew many things would be historically noted, but the amount of extra money being spent to make it all accurate speaks to the commitment being made by Ferchill and their investors.

3. Detroit doesn't even realize how important this development is for the region as a whole. I have maintained all along that this single development will be the tipping point for the downtown area. Today only reaffirmed my belief that the renaissance of this city is just beginning.

I just got back from the ModelD speaker series that featured the Book Cadillac Hotel today. The speakers were all delightful and it was great to be included with the large number of Detroit business people and interested citizens. It was the first time I was able to represent a company and not just be an interested citizen...it's a whole different world.

3 things caught my attention:

1. I did not realize the extent that water had affected the sub-levels. Apparently there was an old line unaccounted for on city maps that had been capped and been leaking into the BC sub levels for many years. I guess millions of gallons were pumped out in stages.

2. The attention being placed on renovation/reconstruction to historic detail shocked me. I knew many things would be historically noted, but the amount of extra money being spent to make it all accurate speaks to the commitment being made by Ferchill and their investors.

3. Detroit doesn't even realize how important this development is for the region as a whole. I have maintained all along that this single development will be the tipping point for the downtown area. Today only reaffirmed my belief that the renaissance of this city is just beginning.

Archived