book-cadillac hotel

Kevin77

Statedude, must have been exciting. But, do you really think the B-C is the tipping point for downtown? I think it represents a very important beginning step, but I think downtown has quite a long ways to go before the tipping point is reached. For me, the tipping point is where downtown projects are self-sustaining not having to rely, solely, on national, state, and local tax incentives and grants to make these projects work. The B-C is a HUGE first step, but there is no way this could have gotten done with all of the additional help from national, state, and local government.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Statedude, must have been exciting. But, do you really think the B-C is the tipping point for downtown? I think it represents a very important beginning step, but I think downtown has quite a long ways to go before the tipping point is reached. For me, the tipping point is where downtown projects are self-sustaining not having to rely, solely, on national, state, and local tax incentives and grants to make these projects work. The B-C is a HUGE first step, but there is no way this could have gotten done with all of the additional help from national, state, and local government.

I had thought about going to that, but I didn't. Makes me wish I would have. As much as I'm interested in stuff, I wasn't sure who it was directed to, and if it would be really boring to me. It sounds like it was worthwhile.

#2 is really good. #1 is bad, but it looks like they've got it taken care of, so that's ok. For #3, I think it will boost morale, but I don't think everyone's going to go downtown and fix up all of the buildings after this. If it works out though, it will demonstrate to other developers that this kind of thing can work, which will be great.

Very exciting!

Re: "tipping point". In my mind, the tipping point will be reached when the city has transit that is used by a diverse population. It will represent an attachment and investment of human capital that the city has not seen since the floodgates opened over 50 years ago.

I hope someone can tell me why we really never had a subway system in the first place. Detroit was among the largest cities in the country from the begining and it's population didn't start declining til the 60's. Why did Chicago and NY have subways' way before then and we didn't. And decades before, those same cities had elevated rail systems. Should we assume cuz we're the inventors of the automobile.

And Michi, I agree with you. I think Detroit will never see the growth of it's downtown and neighborhoods in a faster pace until we have transit. Downtown Detroit has seen nothing yet, rapid growth won't happen till rapid transit is solved, and maybe a BID in addition.

I'm not sure what you mean by Detroit being one of the largest cities from the beginning. And, as dense as Detroit got, it didn't get that way until after the rise of the automobile culture.

BTW, the tipping point for the city and downtown are two different things. For me, the downtown tipping point can (and probably will) come before transit does. I think the city tipping point is transit, though. That, and some massive educational reform. Again, though, I think for downtown it's when private projects will become self-sustaining, and won't need public money for them to start or finish construction.

I'm not sure what you mean by Detroit being one of the largest cities from the beginning. And, as dense as Detroit got, it didn't get that way until after the rise of the automobile culture.

BTW, the tipping point for the city and downtown are two different things. For me, the downtown tipping point can (and probably will) come before transit does. I think the city tipping point is transit, though. That, and some massive educational reform. Again, though, I think for downtown it's when private projects will become self-sustaining, and won't need public money for them to start or finish construction.

The salt mines are only found over tiny point of southwest Detroit, with the main mines being through downriver, so I think that's kind of an urban legend as to lack of a subway system.

I'm sure it has to do that there simply wasn't a heavily enough used transit lines to justify such an expensive line (underground). And, again, about time Detroit had grown to its pretty impressive density, most of the transit was quickly moving to the freeways in the form of cars. People seem to forget Detroit didn't boom until the 20's, which was well after most subway systems were created, and in even more historically dense environments. The only other thing that determines a subway line is difficult topography, and Detroit didn't (and doesn't) have any of that.

Archived