book-cadillac hotel

Kevin77

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh, the monkey bars! haha...good times. :)

I think I have some photos of Washington Blvd from a few years back (like 2001) upon my very first visit to Detroit. They would be on film, but I should see if I can scan them. There was actually one thing I liked about the old blvd. The central flag poles near the Book Tower. Also, the flowing water was neat. It's just too bad that the elevated contraptions that it flowed on had leaks all over it, so water got all over everything.

Anywho...here's some photo updates on the Greater Book Cadillac Undertaking:

The back door of the Westin Book Cadillac gets some attention like the front. Here, heavy machinery are preparing the land parcel for the large addition (conference space, and I think pool, etc) that will soon be built along State Street.

2007_0211DetWntrBlast02_11_070002.jpg

The front of the Book Cadillac is difficult to photograph on occassion, as angles of other buildings get in the way.

2007_0211DetWntrBlast02_11_070004.jpg

The David Stott Tower appears to be chomping on the Detroit Commerce Building.

2007_0211DetWntrBlast02_11_070005.jpg

It's a yummy facade.

2007_0211DetWntrBlast02_11_070006.jpg

2007_0211DetWntrBlast02_11_070007.jpg

Insert parking garage here.

2007_0211DetWntrBlast02_11_070008.jpg

Ok, ok...so there will be condos on top. And designers are getting more sophisticated.

2007_0211DetWntrBlast02_11_070010.jpg

2007_0211DetWntrBlast02_11_070011.jpg

2007_0211DetWntrBlast02_11_070013.jpg

Thanks for the update. :)

Can someone point out an area where it's easy to see the difference between the cleaned and uncleaned parts (looking for a Book Towereque shot)?

Does anyone know if they are adding the cornice back? Earlier I saw photos from the past, and the building is totally different (and better in my opinion) with the cornice. It doesn't seem like something that would be particularly expensive to put back, especially compared to how much they're spending on everything else.

It would be a lot cooler if a Giant Monster was demolishing the People's Outfitting Building.

You know, the whole pedestrian mall thing wasn't horrible. I think it got a lot of flack and good riddance because it was not being maintained. Those pictures show how beautiful it was, despite the fact that its obviously dated for today's tastes.

As cruel as this may sound, the future is unpredictable and you hope that Woodward Ave, Campus Martius, and Riverwalk will remain nice and clean for decades to come. Because the people who build these past spaces had the same hopes too.

You know, the whole pedestrian mall thing wasn't horrible. I think it got a lot of flack and good riddance because it was not being maintained. Those pictures show how beautiful it was, despite the fact that its obviously dated for today's tastes.

As cruel as this may sound, the future is unpredictable and you hope that Woodward Ave, Campus Martius, and Riverwalk will remain nice and clean for decades to come. Because the people who build these past spaces had the same hopes too.

Personally, I think downtowns should not have grassy boulavards like Washington, and now Woodward Ave. too. That should have been built as concrete with raised flower and tree stands, like Campus Martius. The entire strip should have looked like the intersections where the statues are. It's really boring to just put plain grass and trees in the middle of a large street, and what is suppose to be the next big thing in downtown. That's why I like the old mall better. Sorry, but I just think it looks too much like 12 mile road in Farmington Hills, where I live. :)

Personally, I think downtowns should not have grassy boulavards like Washington, and now Woodward Ave. too. That should have been built as concrete with raised flower and tree stands, like Campus Martius. The entire strip should have looked like the intersections where the statues are. It's really boring to just put plain grass and trees in the middle of a large street, and what is suppose to be the next big thing in downtown. That's why I like the old mall better. Sorry, but I just think it looks too much like 12 mile road in Farmington Hills, where I live. :)

Tracer, I agree with you. I think downtowns, in particular Detroit should be full of greenery. And it's proved to me through Google Earth, when everytime I look at Detroit from an aerial view, it lacks greenery. Washington should be full of trees and greenery, just not so much grass, I think. The best example is Campus Martius and MAYBE Cadillac sqaure (it has a little too much paving though). There should be flower beds, bushes, fountains, but especially, some sort of paved path in the island that can put traffic in it with decorative chairs and such.. Sorrounding that can be alot of trees, flowers, and even the grass. I've been to some cities that have this type of streetscape, I wish I can find some pictures to show you what I mean. :)

Google Earth is out of date (2003). It's from before a lot of the new street scapes. Judging from how everything is, I'd say that downtown will have some of that greenness once the trees mature.

I don't like how Woodward is south of Campus Martius. It's done to preserve the "view" of the river? I think some nice trees should be put there.

I actually kind of like it. After all, it is the heart of the financial district, and I'm sure it's that way to strengthen the canyon effect created by the skyscrapers of that district, and to strengthen the sightline down to the river. I think it's very appropriate for a financial district, and the other greenery can be saved for outside of the financial district like in any other city.

I think small trees or large plants would work nice there. The flowers are nice in the summer, but some perma-veg. would ice the cake.

The day Cass Park is overhauled and built out 100% of its periphery, I will be a happy man. That is one piece of urban greenspace that I would die to see polished into a fully-functioning, market rate, vibrant area. Oh, the imagination! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived