Future Development Opportunities

GRDadof3

I know what it is. It's the only vestage of nature left on a commercial corridor that has had unchecked growth on it for years.

I don't care what you develop on it, it isn't going to have as much open space as it does now. When the golf course fails make it into a park.

We can't continue to develop ever single piece of available land. We need to preserve open space not let it slip through our fingers and become a detention pond on yet another crappy retail development or snore inducing office complex.

Development is a good thing.....but not at the cost of all of our open space.

I agree, but there is quite a massive park just to the West of there. I just think that increasing the density here makes it that much more viable for a future ITP - Ford Airport LRT line, that's all. They can tear down Woodland Mall then and make it a park :yahoo:

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, I'm so glad to see UrbanPlanet swing back to the forum I had gotten used to, that has been a little absent as of late. With growth comes growing pains I guess.

I wonder if this might become home to the Salvation Army, amongst other users? Time will tell I guess.

I think I saw The Geha say that Wyoming is trying to persuade the Salvation Army to drop anchor in/near Lamar Park. (I was half asleep though...so I may be off base).

Follow that railroad track north and you'll end up at the secret project. How high would densities need to be at both ends to justify light rail from here to downtown?

That might be dicey. That isn't a single spur you'd be riding all the way to project "x". That's a spur that I believe runs on the old PennCentral lines into the Norfolk Southern yard. The spur over the river is controlled by CSX and runs onto the CSX mainline into their yard.

Riding through the Norfolk Southern lines yard probably wouldn't be a problem, given it's a end of spur yard with lower traffic. The CSX mainline, however, could be problematic. They run that mainline heavily in the evening for coast to coast intermodel traffic, so a light rail shuttle train would most likely would get shut down at night because of this.

• 1 month later...

Heard this little blip on the news tonight. Sounds like Steelcase in working to sell the property this year.

Quote:

"We have learned Steelcase is working with two developers interested in acquiring the properties located at 44th Street and Eastern Avenue.

The factories must be retrofitted for demolition this year for tax purposes.

We have been told the project will involve retail and residential buildings, including condominiums."

Full article here:

http://www.woodtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=4...41&nav=menu44_2

Archived