Will Gaines Stree be made into a 'Destination area'?

stjoe

http://www.tdo.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?A...23/1006/OPINION

I doubt it.

They city raised taxes, in part, by selling this as an area to be made into a desination spot. The worked 15 years and spent a lot of taxpayer money and got us a 2-3 star hotel on the prime lot of the project. Now they want 2 one way streets (look at what 1 way streets got our downtown to this point), which is NOT what was originally promised. What exactly IS the point of this projec to start with?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

DOes the site selection along gaines street for the PAC offer developers motivation? CIty commissioners shed thier opinions and it seems like funding and the site selection may be thier plan on setting a spark under the butt of a entertainment district with potential! next meeting i woiuld love to see a decision on where... a big step for all projects in the area would be a decision on this...

Democrat has a little teaser tonight about Bob Bischoff of FSU's Master Craftsman program and Gaines Street. I'm curous to read the entire article in tomorrow's paper and am even more curious about the prgram itself. I've read things here and there, but do not know its full mission. The basics are teaching students of the arts to become world class practitioners of their medium.

Hopefully the same link above will get you to the full article tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

What I cant stand is the democrat publishes an article about gaines and they all say nothing...... they all say well we havent voted on the street patterns yet, and nothing at all about what businesses will go along gaines... this commission is so lame. o did i mention slow? old?

Well if you say nothing else about the City Commission, they are VERY pro-development right now. Especially with regard to downtown.

The news paper seems to change its objective with the wind. Never know which way it will blow with regard to development, if, and whenever they decide to cover "our type of stories"

Let's be honest, even the guys that were giving the presentation said that this is a long term (and we mean long, think a generation or 2) view of what would happen. The new proposal presented last night would include 2 or 3 extended streets to the south, a 2 way Gaines with a narrow centerlane that would serve as a space to get around parking cars or stopped UPS trucks, a couple of small parks,several additional north-south streets, some new, others reintroduced, and an extended Madison St. The other big feature was a huge double roundabout at the intersection of Lake Bradford, Gaines, & Stadium. Now let's see which one of the plans goes through.

THen again, they can be rather charming and effective if law enforcement is not negligent.

They are, but you have to realize what the purpose of roundabouts are. In this country, they're most often used as traffic calming measures. They are NOT intended to move heavy traffic, such as the location by the stadium.

Whoever came up with that idea was on some good crack :P . What that intersection needs is an overpass and to be converted into a single point urban interchange. An overpass is functional, and it doesn't have to be ugly or take away from the surroundings.

• 10 months later...
They are, but you have to realize what the purpose of roundabouts are. In this country, they're most often used as traffic calming measures. They are NOT intended to move heavy traffic, such as the location by the stadium.

Whoever came up with that idea was on some good crack :P . What that intersection needs is an overpass and to be converted into a single point urban interchange. An overpass is functional, and it doesn't have to be ugly or take away from the surroundings.

Archived