Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest donaltopablo

Atlanta: A utopia for black gays?

5 posts in this topic

A very interesting article in my opinion. Atlanta draw seems strong among many black gays, it's reputation national known. I can recall a personal experience talking with my aunts neighbor in San Fran several years ago, he was a black gay, and how he wanted to come to Atlanta (he had never been here).

I also think this article points out the internal struggle Atlanta has, that extents beyond black/white, or gay straight. I think it illustrates the difference in attitude of many of the people who have come here from outside the SE in the last couple of decades, vs. the home grown attitudes of the sun belt.

Obviously, no where is a utopia, but Atlanta does have an uncharacterisically strong draw.

Atlanta a hub for black gays

By By DREW JUBERA,

Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 02/21/04

In his mid-20s, Byron Mason was in San Francisco, living the life of many gay men's dreams

"white mans disease"

LMAO :lol: I believe the "white mans disease" pertains to jumping. I say that to my buds at school because I am a 6 ft 240 lbs teen that can touch the rim. But we are just playing around.

"You can go out and be freer than you can in other communities," added the Memphis native, who noted that when one travels 20 miles outside other Southern cities, "you hit the Bible Belt mentality. But it's Atlanta. The feel and the vibe is it's a little bit freer."

Obviously she has never been to Kennesaw or Conyers - or College Park for that matter. LOLOLOL

Memphis is pretty darn conservative, so its not that I blame her for her opinions. Atlanta is more free then virtually any city in the south - save for Floridian cities (Miami).

Atlanta's still got the southern problem of the city itself being so radically different from the areas just outlying the city, however.

You go to a city such as Chicago, and its gay friendly in the city, you move into the suburbs and its still relatively gay friendly - regardless of party line.

In Atlanta that is not the case. The city is wildly accepting, as are inner burbs like those in DeKalb Co. But you step outside into areas such as Cobb County, to the south and southeast as well - then northward in to the mountain country near Lake Lanier - its no better then the backwoods of Mississippi or the hick mountain country of East Tennessee.

This is why I, in part, like the northern and west coast regions of this country better - there is less of a division on this issue.

I think Atlanta has been an attraction for Blacks in General and ranks up there with other heavily populated African American cities such as Baltimore and Washington, DC. There is just great financial opportunity for African Americans in Atlanta. There is a super elite wealthy neighborhood in Atlanta that is all African American. When you are on the streets of downtown Atlanta, African Americans seems to out nunber other pedestrians. Atlanta is just a very liberal city and the gay life style is probally more excepted in Atlanta than any other southern city. Thats really the biggest draw. Homosexuals just want to fit in with everyone else and you can do that in Alanta.